Menu

Can you call a course *AP* on a transcript?

What I have found with teachers and colleges is that if you designate anything AP, you had better be willing to back it up with AP test scores. Also, the grade from the AP course better be supported by AP test scores. Colleges don't much care if you say that you have taken an AP course if you don't take the test. The point of AP courses is to prepare students for the test.

My kids are in public high school now, since our move last year, and their high school requires that a student taking an AP course sit for the AP test. Otherwise, they do not give them credit for the course!!! We have friends in other states whose kids are taking so called "AP" courses, but they have never sat for an AP test. I have warned these parents that they are being misled by their school and to get on this immediately.

Also, there are certain text books, supplemental books, etc that the College Board recommends for these AP courses. You might want to look into using those books since the tests will follow them. You can go to PA Homeschoolers site and get the list from their website. They use the recommended AP books.

Good luck.

ReneeR

If it has been marketed as an AP preparation course, can you designate it that way on a transcript (with or without having to take the actual exam)?

It's not hard (well - depending on how much you enjoy writing out a syllabus!) and it doesn't take long to get approval, but you're not allowed to use the AP designation without permission, and the permission has to come from the College Board, based on your syllabus.

It's not hard (well - depending on how much you enjoy writing out a syllabus!) and it doesn't take long to get approval, but you're not allowed to use the AP designation without permission, and the permission has to come from the College Board, based on your syllabus.

By by using the phrase "it has been marketed as," I'm guessing the OP is not using her own syllabus, but an approved one in an outsourced class.

Courses with an AP designation need to have had their syllabi approved by the College Board. If the course you are talking about was such a course, then you could list it as AP. If it is an AP preparation course without syllabus approval from the College Board it could not be listed as AP.

My public high school transcript lists the AP classes I took as AP. Those classes had syllabi approved. I agree with a PP however, colleges really want to see AP test scores. AP classes look better than honors or regular classes (at least for public school kids), but the AP *scores* are what really count.

Very interesting, thank you! I have several things in mind, but unfortunately have delayed dd in taking any AP exams due to extreme financial troubles last spring (her junior year, when such exams would have been best taken I assume). She will be taking the SL Psychology course, that is supposed to prepare students for that exam. But since she is a senior, I am assuming that taking that exam next May will be too late... She has done years of TOG rhetoric literature, WTM literature and history, etc. that would have at least partially prepared her an English exam. She made a 710 on the SAT writing, so that is her area of comfort. I just feel as though I have failed her, and was trying to make up for my failings by giving her recognition for a job well done. Colleges don't think like mamas do, though. :tongue_smilie: Thanks for the help. Any more suggestions...CLEP perhaps?

She will be taking the SL Psychology course, that is supposed to prepare students for that exam. But since she is a senior, I am assuming that taking that exam next May will be too late

If you want your dd to potentially get college credit, then taking the AP Psychology exam in May 2011 is not too late. You won't have an exam score for college admissions purposes, but your ds might be able to place out of a college elective. Also, I know of one family whose son took many APs with fee waivers. So you might check into that too.

My impression of college admissions offices is that they do not expect homeschoolers to jump through all the same testing hoops as public/private schoolers. I would not despair that your ds has no AP exams on her record. The admissions counselors will look at your demonstration of high school rigor -- so use your course descriptions to document the rigor of your classes. One of the things I did was not have multiple .5 credit classes. An example - I folded a small geography co-op class and another small critical thinking/discussion co-op class into a single history/geog class on my ds's transcript. Then I felt I could call it an honors class, and the course description backed that up.

Edited by Brigid in NC

The university that I'm familiar with does not look at AP scores for admission--the test scores are looked at after admission to determine whether a student has placed out of a class or not. The point, then, in being able to say that you took an AP course is for the recognition that the student is taking a rigorous caseload.

My alma mater only offered one "official" AP course because only the bio teach was willing to jump through the College Board's hoops to get the designation. But most of the other 11th & 12th grade honors courses were listed as "AP equivalent" on the transcript. So for example, my jr. year U.S. History course was listed as Honors U.S. History (AP equivalent).

Your dd could still take the AP Psychology exam in May. It won't help her get into college, but she may be able to get AP credit for it from the college. I would check and see whether the colleges she's seriously considering attending accept the test for class credit, and if so, what score is necessary to get. The Psychology test is one of the more difficult AP tests, and some schools want you to have a 5 (the highest score) to actually get class credit. Others will take lower scores.

She could also take AP tests from classes she's taken previously, if she was able to review and felt that she would be able to do well on the test. There are AP test prep guides available which can be very helpful. :)

As a public school student, I was able to take all my AP tests for a *very* discounted price because I received free lunch. I don't know if there is a way for homeschoolers to prove financial need and get a discounted price or not, but if you can look into it it may be very worth it! I hope you're able to figure this all out for your dd without spending tons of money. :grouphug: