Menu

Help! Dr says its NOT chicken pox, then what is it?

Ok, so I posted that I thought my 12 year old dd had chicken pox. Went to the dr today because the spots were burning when she itched them (itching so bad that its driving her crazy! Its getting to the point she can not think about anything but the intense itching.) So dr says he does not know what it is, but said probably not chicken pox because she was not sick and they burn. He referred us to the dermatologis but we can not get there for 2 weeks (they are scheduled that far out) Any ideas what could be causeing this? They are little blistery things that ooze. I have been looking all night, and I just can not find anything. Please help! My dd is in agony and can not get any rest! Nothing is helping the itchy/burning these things are causing her. They are spreading on her, but not super fast. She now has about 25 of these spots on her arms, stomach/chest and back. They are about the size of a pencil eraser and they are not clustered together, but spread out. Any ideas?

:iagree: Same "family" as the chicken pox.

Another link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molluscum_contagiosum

My boys had it. They didn't complain about them much. The derm will know right away if that's what it is and will probably use this stuff called "Beetle Juice" to treat them. It causes them to blister and eventually go away. We tried Imoquid but it didn't work on my boys, so you might want to consider that before spending the money on the script. (if that's what she has)

first guesses....molluscum or folliculitis (often from hot tubs or swimming.)

possibly scabies too. If the bumps get itched they can break open and look like sores. I have seen it spread out (not clustered like the picture #4 in this slide show) These can itch horribly and get infected. Look at the webbing between her thumb and forefinger. If there are white squiggly lines that is a distinct clue. They get spread by itching, and that can account for the randomness of the spots or clusters depending on where the person itches.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

A friend of mine had a diagnosis of chicken pox from her ped. The small private school where her son was enrolled sent out a warning to all the parents. Parents who had not yet vx'd for varicella were going to.

Then it turned out to be flea bites.

Apparently, for some people, they blister and ooze. Who knew?

first guesses....molluscum or folliculitis (often from hot tubs or swimming.)

possibly scabies too. If the bumps get itched they can break open and look like sores. I have seen it spread out (not clustered like the picture #4 in this slide show) These can itch horribly and get infected. Look at the webbing between her thumb and forefinger. If there are white squiggly lines that is a distinct clue. They get spread by itching, and that can account for the randomness of the spots or clusters depending on where the person itches.

We had thought about scabies (:ack2:) but there was nothing between her fingers and toes when we looked. We looked up so much earlier.

I just looked up folliculitis, does not look like that.

Ok, so I posted that I thought my 12 year old dd had chicken pox. Went to the dr today because the spots were burning when she itched them (itching so bad that its driving her crazy! Its getting to the point she can not think about anything but the intense itching.) So dr says he does not know what it is, but said probably not chicken pox because she was not sick and they burn.

Chicken pox can be hard to diagnose in people who have had the vaccine. They don't get as sick, have fewer spots, and the rash can look a little different. Since she had the vaccine, this still might be chicken pox. If your other kids get sick in the nest few weeks, you'll know that's what it is.

CDC

A modified varicella, known as breakthrough disease, can occur in some vaccinated persons, because the vaccine is 70%–90% effective in preventing disease. Breakthrough varicella is most commonly (~70%–80% of cases) mild, with <50 skin lesions, less fever, and shorter duration of rash. The rash may be atypical in appearance with fewer vesicles and predominance of maculopapular lesions. Nevertheless, breakthrough varicella is infectious (although less than varicella in unvaccinated persons). Persons with breakthrough varicella should be isolated for as long as lesions persist.

Chicken pox can be hard to diagnose in people who have had the vaccine. They don't get as sick, have fewer spots, and the rash can look a little different. Since she had the vaccine, this still might be chicken pox. If your other kids get sick in the nest few weeks, you'll know that's what it is.

CDC

I just looked at the other thread and see that there are other families in your community with chicken pox. Even more reason to think that's what she has.

A friend of mine had a diagnosis of chicken pox from her ped. The small private school where her son was enrolled sent out a warning to all the parents. Parents who had not yet vx'd for varicella were going to.

Then it turned out to be flea bites.

Apparently, for some people, they blister and ooze. Who knew?

This is the reaction I have to both flea and fire ant bites. You don't even want to know what happens when I get stung by a wasp or yellow jacket.

I would see if your doctor can help get you in sooner to the dermatologist. I would also warn the dermatologist's office that your daughter might have chicken pox (even though the other doctor said no), because they may want to do the initial consultation in the parking lot.

If it is moluscum, I would be VERY careful. It is HIGHLY contagious, and can take months to clear up. :thumbdown:

It is contagious but it's not impossible to keep from spreading. She said that it is most commonly spread by direct body contact on the sores. So as long as it's covered up, there shouldn't be a problem. And then of course practicing good hygene such as not sharing towels or baths (I have boys, so we used to do that) should also keep it at bay. That said my DD never got it!

And it can take months to clear up if it is untreated. Find a dr. who is willing to treat it with the "Beetle Juice"--crushed up beetles that they use to treat warts. Treating the bumps as they pop up usually kills off the virus because they pop and cause it to spread. There's a waxy core in the center of each bump that causes it to spread. My boys had it for about 2 months. Each time a new one cropped up we went to see the derm. And it made since that they spread it to one another because they are very close, always wrestling, they sometimes sleep together, etc.

My experience was that once the bumps got treated, it wasn't a big deal and gradually faded away.

Personally, I think it is more likely that she has chicken pox. My boys didn't complain much about the bumps itching.

Edited by jannylynn

If it ends up being molluscum, try dabbing oil of oregano on the sores only, and just one at first to see if it burns. My nephew had molluscum (actually still has a few sores 1 1/2 years later!) and they tried everything. It's a virus, so oil of oregano will work, but it is very strong and may cause irritation of the surrounding skin. Dab it on a sore with a Q-Tip. Keep us posted.