Menu

Learning Left foot and right foof?

My DD is definitely right handed, and doesn't seem to have problems with left/right hand in piano, but I've noticed that she has big problems with starting on the left foot/right foot in physical activities like dance or tumbling. I don't know if it's because her instructor reverses it so the kids are on the same side she is, and that's confusing DD, or what,but invariably, DD starts on the wrong foot and has to correct.

Does anyone have any suggestions for helping with this? I'm seriously considering putting a colored dot on her left dance shoe or something!

Most likely she is left foot dominate. I am that way. I do all sports as a lefty even though I am right handed. Of course, I write pretty well with my left hand too. I have also found that, though it is not a natural feeling, I can also bat and do gymnastics with my right foot leading. My left eye is also dominate. I think that is probably why I tend to do the larger spaced activities as a lefty. For stuff like sewing and writing that doesn't really involve a lot of space, the right works better. She'll get the hang of it.

Most likely she is left foot dominate. I am that way. I do all sports as a lefty even though I am right handed. Of course, I write pretty well with my left hand too. I have also found that, though it is not a natural feeling, I can also bat and do gymnastics with my right foot leading. My left eye is also dominate. I think that is probably why I tend to do the larger spaced activities as a lefty. For stuff like sewing and writing that doesn't really involve a lot of space, the right works better. She'll get the hang of it.

:iagree: I am left handed, but right foot and right hand dominant. Actually, I'm a mess. I play(ed) most sports as a 'righty', except for tennis, where I'll switch hands mid-stroke (confuses my opponent!). I also play putt putt golf using either side. When I used to turn backwards while roller skating & ride and do 180s on the skateboard, I would do so as a 'lefty'. I am also right eye dominant.

To make matters worse, I constantly get left and right confused when giving/receiving directions. Usually, I find that the way I need to turn is "my OTHER left". :tongue_smilie:

I would suspect that your dd will get the hang of it eventually. Maybe instead of listening to her instructor's 'left' or 'right' spoken words, she can just intently watch her feet for signs of movement? This is what I had to do in a dance class because I just wasn't quick enough to hear 'left' and know which direction that was.