Menu

Graphing calculators

:confused:Help! -- I know this sound fairly ignorant, but my oldest daughter is is 10th grade and I think that a graphing calculator would be a good investment for the upcoming years. I bought a TI-84 Plus but after opening it and trying to figure out the directions, my husband decided I should return it because as he said, "We're never going to be able to figure this out!" For two well-educated people, we're definitely not "tech" savvy! My question -- what is a good choice for a graphing calculator, and what are some good resources (online or books) regarding how to figure out how to use one. I don't have time to spend hours learning intuitively. Thanks for any input!

Yvonne

My 11th grader needed a graphing calculator for College Algebra at the local community college this year. We bought a TI 83 plus.

Some ideas:

There is a ... for Dummies book that I checked out of the library.

At our local cc, there is a math resource lab that is available free of charge for all. It has some video instruction in using a graphing calculator. Is there a similar option available for you?

Some math textbooks actually include instruction in the use of the graphing calculator.

Good luck!

Regards,

Kareni

The TI-83 or TI-84 are standard recommendations for many high school and college courses. They are not really that challenging to operate once you undergo basic indoctrination. (I have an antique TI -85 but could figure stuff out on the spiffy new TI-84 that a tutee of mine has.) It really would be best to have someone who knows how to operate the calculator show you or your daughter the basics. Most students do not use many of the keys and capabilities on the calculator--to their disadvantage to be honest. Your library may have one of the Dummies books that can help.

Jane

GReat Courses - ALgebra I - teaches how to use the graphic calculater in Lesson 3 and continues using it from them on - that's how my son learned how to use it this year! Check to see if your local library has it - that's what we did!

The "TI-84 for Dummies" book is a 284-page book & worth every penny ($12). We also had the benefit of a personal tutoring session from my dd's 2nd cousin. ;-)

From our point of view, the graphing calculator is a true advantage (which can be purchased), improving performance on the ACT or SAT.

With a few weeks practice, she gained confidence, and the time she spent on her Saxon Adv. Math assignments was GREATLY reduced.

Happiness all around . . . in a few weeks!

It is what our local ps "requires" and we bought it in 8th grade thinking he would go to the local high school. Apparently, they believe it takes the kids all of algebra and geometry to learn how to use them, so they can use them for calculus. Given how quickly he learned to program computers, I don't think it will take 3 years for a calculator.

I don't like it because he just enters the problem as he sees it and poof! there's the answer. He doesn't show his work because he does none. Why write out every step when the calculator can just spit out the answer? Why graph on paper? That's what the calculator is for. Basically, it made teaching algebra I and II and geometry a lot harder.

I understand that eventually he will do math that actually needs more than multiply, divide and trig functions, but he hasn't yet and I wish I had never bought it.

I went through multi-integral calculus, differential equations, statistics and a bunch of engineering courses without using most of what was on mine (HP-15C) either. And, no, I'm not old enough to have used a slide rule.

The fact that they are allowed to use them for the SAT and ACT is the only reason to get one.

My advice: delay as long as you can then buy the Dummies guide.

It is what our local ps "requires" and we bought it in 8th grade thinking he would go to the local high school. Apparently, they believe it takes the kids all of algebra and geometry to learn how to use them, so they can use them for calculus. Given how quickly he learned to program computers, I don't think it will take 3 years for a calculator.

I don't like it because he just enters the problem as he sees it and poof! there's the answer. He doesn't show his work because he does none. Why write out every step when the calculator can just spit out the answer? Why graph on paper? That's what the calculator is for. Basically, it made teaching algebra I and II and geometry a lot harder.

I understand that eventually he will do math that actually needs more than multiply, divide and trig functions, but he hasn't yet and I wish I had never bought it.

I went through multi-integral calculus, differential equations, statistics and a bunch of engineering courses without using most of what was on mine (HP-15C) either. And, no, I'm not old enough to have used a slide rule.

The fact that they are allowed to use them for the SAT and ACT is the only reason to get one.

My advice: delay as long as you can then buy the Dummies guide.

:iagree: (and I am old enough to have used a slide rule)

I used the "... for Dummies" book and found it very helpful. The guide that came with the calculator was worthless.

The actual users guide from the TI website. Here is the link so you can download the pdf. It is much better than the book that comes with the calculator. http://education.ti.com/educationportal/downloadcenter/SoftwareDetail.do?website=US&appId=6125&tabId=2

Another site that I've heard is helpful, but haven't personally used is at hotmath

here is a link to their tutorials:

http://www.hotmath.com/graphing_calculators/

Don't take it back....you can learn how to use it and it will be worth the effort!

HTH:thumbup: