Menu

Firefighter I course through local FD - what credit for this major commitment?

this is a huge amount of time, tues/thurs 6 - 10 and every other Sat all day.

I am thrilled he's showing interest and would love to encourage him.

My ? is the credit. What do I give him school credit for? He can't take a huge courseload AND this class, so he'll need school credit for something. I just don't know what to call it and how worth it is for school credit.

There will be tests, coursework, practical application, etc.

it's offered at our local tech school so I know it's credit worthy. The first half of year is ff I and the second half is EMT basic.

Thanks for any help...

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity and a great course.

So, my question ~ how many hours is it in absolute terms? Let's say it is for ten weeks. That would be 80 hours for the evening classes plus 30 hours for the Saturdays assuming they are six hour long days. That would be 110 hours. When credit is given based on time alone, the standards vary from 80 (NARHS) to 210 hours with 120 to 180 hours being more common. This then could be given one credit. I'd be inclined to use the course titles that the Tech school uses (i.e., Firefighting I and EMT Basic).

If the hours are in excess of a standard credit, you might also wish to give a whole or half physical education credit if the course contains a significant physical component.

Just my thoughts ....

Regards,

Kareni

My middle son isn't doing the firefighting, but is likely to do the EMT Basic course this fall/winter. I'm opting to put it in as an extra curricular rather than a credit course. This son should easily have all the credits, grades, and test scores needed to get a second look at the [likely] selective schools to which he is thinking of applying. Therefore, as an extra curricular it is apt to draw more positive attention. It could easily be overlooked as "just" another credit otherwise.

If you'd prefer to consider it a credit, I would think it could fall under health or science or some of each.

I would list it on a transcript as Physical Science - Fire Science and then determine the credits based upon hours. My son got his EMT certification and I listed it under science as well.

There was a study done that classified thousands of public school secondary courses. Here is a link to the study.

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2002/2002165_2.pdf

They listed this:

Fire Science/Fire-fighting. A program that prepares individuals to perform the duties of fire fighters. Includes instruction in fire-fighting equipment operation and maintenance, principles of fire science and combustible substances, methods of controlling different types of fires, hazardous material handling and control, fire rescue procedures, public relations and applicable laws and regulations.