Menu

literature essay assignments

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

Where did you get ideas of essay topics to assign your dc? I have compiled 6 books so far for ds to read (12 grade), I have study guides for each from various companies. I am finding the study guides will be great to guide our discussions - but most don't give ideas for assignments. Can you tell the last 3 years he did english lit. with Seton - so mom didn't have to come up with the essay ideas! Truthfully, I was going to ask him to come up with ideas too. Also, when you did literature with your high schoolers - did you give tests for the books? Having had seton - we are both kind of tired of literature tests and I wasn't going to give them in literature - is that bad?

Barb

Guest Barb B

Well, I just looked at the 2 study guides I have from progeny press and see that they have essay topics to choose from. So I just ordered more guides from progeny press!

Barb

Where did you get ideas of essay topics to assign your dc? I have compiled 6 books so far for ds to read (12 grade), I have study guides for each from various companies. I am finding the study guides will be great to guide our discussions - but most don't give ideas for assignments. Can you tell the last 3 years he did english lit. with Seton - so mom didn't have to come up with the essay ideas! Truthfully, I was going to ask him to come up with ideas too. Also, when you did literature with your high schoolers - did you give tests for the books? Having had seton - we are both kind of tired of literature tests and I wasn't going to give them in literature - is that bad?

Barb

I liked WEM for good "generic" essay topics. I also use "Invitation to the Classics" for more specific ones.

Glencoe and Penguin have a bunch of free online study guides for many "classic" titles. You can always google your book title too.

I never did lit tests but we don't test much anyway.

I use TWEM to guide our discussions. Usually, somewhere in the process of reading the book or discussing it, my children have an idea they want to write about (or a project idea). I don't give tests or grades. There doesn't seem much point since we are reading and discussing the books together.

-Nan