Menu

12th grade literature

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

Those who will have or have had 12th graders: list what books you had them read in English/literature. I have about 6 so far:: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenistsyn, Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton, Macbeth by William Shakespeare or Hamlet, The Odyssey by Homer, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. These I picked either because we didn't get to it previously (Odyssey and one more Shakespeare) or it sounded like a book ds may like. So, I want to get an idea of what books others have dc read and also by seeing your list, of how many some 12th graders read.

Barb

This is the list that I am teaching this year to a local group and an online group of 11th and 12th graders: A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens, Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Frankenstein, Mary Shelley, Great Expectations, Charles Dickens, Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad, Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte, 1984, George Orwell, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen, Death of a Salesman, Arthur Miller, A Doll’s House, Henrik Ibsen, Hamlet and King Lear, William Shakespeare.

My dd had finished all the regular lit courses (American Lit, British Lit and Shakespeare Intensive) offered by our small co-op, so we made up our own lit class for her senior year. She is going into biology, so we made up a "Bio-eithics in Literature" class using an interesting spine:

Bioethics and Medical Issues in Literature (Exploring Social Issues through Literature) by Mahala Yates Stripling

Plus a book about what Catholics believe about these issues.

So the literature she read was: Rappaccini's Daughter, Brave New World, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and several more I have forgotten!

It was an interesting class.

Guest Barb B

AnitaMS, What was the book she read about what Catholics believe about the issues. DS is doing the Morality text from the Didache series this year; such a book could be interesting with the text.

Barb

Edited by Barb B

My dd had finished all the regular lit courses (American Lit, British Lit and Shakespeare Intensive) offered by our small co-op, so we made up our own lit class for her senior year. She is going into biology, so we made up a "Bio-eithics in Literature" class using an interesting spine:

Bioethics and Medical Issues in Literature (Exploring Social Issues through Literature) by Mahala Yates Stripling

Plus a book about what Catholics believe about these issues.

So the literature she read was: Rappaccini's Daughter, Brave New World, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and several more I have forgotten!

It was an interesting class.

What a fabulous idea for a class!

Terri

the book we used to see the Catholic viewpoint was "Beginning Apologetics 5: How to answer tough moral questions -- abortion, contraception, euthanasia, test-tube babies and cloning" by Chacon and Burnham. It's a thin paperback.

Plus the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

What a fabulous idea for a class!

Terri

It really was interesting for both of us. The study guide has questions and suggestions for writing papers, so she just chose one topic each time and wrote on it.

It got a lot of good discussions going in the family, and hopefully cemented her viewpoints on lots of big bio-ethics issues before she goes to a huge public university.

Guest Barb B

So, I've just added a few more books to total about 9 (one per month?). Realistically I think we will cover about 7-8. So on the course description I guesse I will include all 9 (kind of feel guilty putting all on if we don't do all - maybe those we don't cover in class I will make sure he reads on his own).

Wondering about this amount of books - too much, too little(especially since Brigid has about 12 books!).

Barb

Guest Barb B

Final list (maybe!): The Odyssey, Fahrenheit 451, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Hamlet, Pride and Prejudice, Heart of Darkness, Frankenstein. 5 of these books I have ordered progeny press study guides for. Since they reccommend 4 study guides per year, I feel that I have a nice size list of lit. books to go through this year.

Barb

I can't believe this is my last year as an active homeschool mom! My ds is going to attend community college full time next year, so I've been carefully putting together a list of books to share for our last official literature course. The wonderful thing about this kid is that he is an avid reader and we trade many books, listen to audio books together and are always talking books, something I'm sure will continue for years to come.

We're tackling these books in groups loosely organized by topic or period:

Early American Lit:

Edgar Allen Poe and Nathaniel Hawthorne short stories

Moby Dick

The South/civil rights movement & integration:

Huck Finn

To Kill a Mockingbird

Flannery O'Connor short stories

Invisible Man

Shakespeare:

Bill Bryson's Shakespeare

Macbeth in depth with Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters for fun

Hamlet less in depth -- will watch the recent David Tennant/Patrick Stewart DVD

Midsummer's Night Dream with the movie, and another Terry Pratchett

Chemistry:

Uncle Tungsten

Disappearing Spoon

Gothic Lit:

Frankenstein

Northanger Abbey

and maybe, if there's time...

Animal Farm

Fahrenheit 451

I'm also throwing in a few weeks of poetry, but haven't settled on any particular poets or works.