What's with the ads?

Photo

If you had $1000 spend on a family vacation... (Spin off from the Disney thread)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Eliana

Eliana

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:09 PM

...where would you go and what would you do?

(Someone on the Disney thread said their Disney vacation was around $1000; that's where I got the dollar amount.)

No, we don't have that much to spend on a vacation (and have never spent that much), but if you *could*, what would you do?

#2 Frankie

Frankie

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

It would cost me a lot more than a thousand to get to Disneyland or World...Disney World would be my first choice for a vacation, though.

For a thousand bucks, I'd love to load up the car and drive to Yellowstone. We'd stay in one of their cabins. I figure with food, lodging and gas, that would easily blow $1,000.

#3 Mamagistra

Mamagistra

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

That's roughly what we spend to rent a beachfront house for a week (including groceries, gas, and boarding of a dog or two). We go off-season for the peace and quiet. It's a wonderful way for us to recharge as a family. :auto:

I look forward to reading what others do. :)

#4 finding_sanctuary

finding_sanctuary

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:20 PM

Although it would probably cost more than $1000, we'd probably go to one of the bigger Renaissance Festivals, or possibly the next Firefly/Serenity convention. But then, we're geeks through and through.

#5 Mom2legomaniacs

Mom2legomaniacs

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4201 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

I'd go back to Yellowstone and stay in a different area to see more than we saw the first time. Or go to the Grand Canyon. No. Wait. California to see redwoods and Napa Valley. Oooh, wait, how about Ore. or Wash. coast or Alaska!

#6 Tracey in TX

Tracey in TX

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2236 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

Disney would cost us $3000 if we budgeted carefully.
I would go anywhere right now! Even mother hubbard's cupboard sounds exciting. Disney sounds divine. Europe, exciting. Home, dullsville.

#7 Just a Jen in Mississippi

Just a Jen in Mississippi

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

For $1000, I would drive 6 hours to Gulf Shores, AL. I love the beach and the outlet shopping. I like to do nothing but relax on the beach! We even went in Jan. once when the water was too cold to swim in, but it was wonderful just hearing the waves and feeling the breeze!

Our Disney trip in Jan. of this year for a family of 7 was about $3500 with the meal plan and another $1000 for plane tickets. That was also staying at a value resort. I guess that is part of why I didn't like it......it was just such a huge chunk of money and I wish I had done some things differently!! Live and learn.

#8 Sorbie

Sorbie

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:24 PM

That's roughly what we spend to rent a beachfront house for a week (including groceries, gas, and boarding of a dog or two). We go off-season for the peace and quiet. It's a wonderful way for us to recharge as a family. :auto:

This is what we do, too. No crowds, no lines, just peace and quiet.

#9 jacqui in mo

jacqui in mo

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1049 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

Definitely seeing a theme here. My first thought before reading anyone else's response was Yellowstone. We went camping there last September & I have such lovely memories of it. The kids loooooved it too.

#10 *anj*

*anj*

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3708 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

I'd go visit my parents in FL. At this point it would cost us almost that much to drive there and back although it wouldn't be nearly enough to fly us down.

#11 Antonia

Antonia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

That's roughly what we spend to rent a beachfront house for a week (including groceries, gas, and boarding of a dog or two). We go off-season for the peace and quiet. It's a wonderful way for us to recharge as a family.

Here, too. A cabin on the Cape with NO tv, NO computer, NO phone... just the kids and us, the beach during the day and a bunch of games for eves. aaaaah!

#12 Colleen

Colleen

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5938 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

Our last two breaks racked up well over a thousand grand and they weren't extravagent by any stretch of the imagination. Last June, for example, I was so tired of the dreary weather on this side of the mountains, we headed east. Drove down/over to Walla Walla and hung out there for a few days (stayed at the Best Western or some such). Then drove back along the Gorge, spending one more night near Hood River. In other words, a short driving vacation just to the other side of the state; reasonably-priced overnights that provided continental breakfasts; picnic lunches, and dinner out. Couldn't get that in for under a thousand dollars, what with gas.

So I'd have to say for a thousand, we'd likely either spend a few days at the house on Orcas; do a couple of nights in Victoria; or go camping for a week over in the Methow Valley (which we do almost every year).

#13 JFSinIL

JFSinIL

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7581 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

For us, that would be a few days in the Dells or maybe a short road trip. It is costing us $1675 along just to fly all 6 of us to S. California in June (which is why we haven't flown out to see my folks there for almost ten years!)

Provided, of course, that American is still flying in June!
:willy_nilly:

#14 Mamagistra

Mamagistra

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

This is what we do, too. No crowds, no lines, just peace and quiet.

Aaah..and for me, only TWO WEEKS away!! :hurray: I can't wait for the sound of waves... :001_smile:

#15 Colleen

Colleen

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5938 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

Wowsers! A week's rental, groceries, gas, and dog boarding ~ all for under a thousand?! Definitely not the reality up here, even in the off season. Are you going down by Galveston, or...?

#16 Sorbie

Sorbie

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:46 PM

Aaah..and for me, only TWO WEEKS away!! :hurray: I can't wait for the sound of waves... :001_smile:

Don't rub it in! I have to hang in until September.:eek: Enjoy!:cheers2:

-Amber

#17 abbeyej

abbeyej

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8888 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:47 PM

We're studying American history this year, and the kids are clamoring to see Williamsburg and Jamestown, and I'd love to take them to DC, Mt Vernon, Monticello... I'm hoping maybe I can come up with a way to swing that in the fall. (It helps that it's driving distance to my parents, so we could make the trip dual-purpose.)

#18 Robin in Tx

Robin in Tx

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1290 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:00 PM

Hey! Where are you getting that beachhouse?

PM me if you like... I'd like to know where you found it. We're finding it costs more like $1500 for a week in the off season, but we're looking on Galveston Island.

And to answer the original question, it would have to be a driving trip, obviously, so we would probably do something like the coast. We're going to San Antonio this summer for dd's birthday, and spending more than $1000, but that's only because it's a special birthday and we're taking her best friend along.

I would also consider a nice rental on a pretty Arkansas lake.

And Big Bend in the early spring.

We could almost do a cruise out of Galveston for $1000. We love water and boats, so that would suit me... cruise down to Mexico, go snorkeling, cruise back. Lay in a chair, read a book and breath salt air while someone else prepares all the gourmet food I can eat :).

There's actually quite a few things one can do around here for $1000... my dh and I keep saying that one day we're going to go to a nice hotel in downtown Houston and eat at all the good restaurants and go to all the museums and theatres. Might cost a little more than $1000, but maybe not.

Camping in Lost Maples State Park in the fall.

Cabin and tubing on one of the spring fed rivers.

I could go on and on... but you get the picture! :)

Let me know where you found your beach house!

Robin

#19 Emmy

Emmy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1605 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

This is exactly what we would do! :iagree:

#20 LibraryLover

LibraryLover

Visualizing whirled peace for realz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16823 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

Someone I know just rented a house on the water in St Augustine for the month of March for 1300. But it is a month. If I could get away for a month, I'd do something like that and kyak, canoe, grill my own food outside etc.

#21 Danestress

Danestress

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6873 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

I don't think there is a beach house in the Carolinas that would go for under $1000 a week right on the beach, and leave room for groceries!

For $1000 we would have to drive or use frequent flier miles, which I'm not sure we have for all four of us. So I would go on a really great camping trip and use part of the money to buy my ten year old back country packs.

Or maybe I would go see Henry V in Staunton VA and take the boys to Monticello for a day.

#22 Mamagistra

Mamagistra

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

Wowsers! A week's rental, groceries, gas, and dog boarding ~ all for under a thousand?! Definitely not the reality up here, even in the off season. Are you going down by Galveston, or...?

Yes, we stay on Bolivar Peninsula. Granted, it's no white-sanded dream oasis :rolleyes:...but it's fine for a long week of relaxation. We have friends that sometimes come up with their kids and stay a night, too, so we get a bit of socializing in. And admittedly, we'll probably spend a little more than that on extras (read: Mike's and mimosas LOL) since we haven't been in a couple of years, but it'll be so worth it. I can't wait! :D

I sure would love to spend a week up in your area, regardless of cost. It is unspeakably beautiful there.

ETA: OK, the rental cost has gone up this year, so we'll definitely spend more (~$1300)...still, I guess it's a bargain compared to some of the more crowd-happy things. And it's only two hours away. :)

#23 Robin in Tx

Robin in Tx

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1290 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

I sure would love to spend a week up in your area, regardless of cost. It is unspeakably beautiful there.

Me, too. It's very high on our "dream vacation" list. I honestly think I'd go there before I'd go to Europe.

Robin

#24 Mamagistra

Mamagistra

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

Hey! Where are you getting that beachhouse?

Hey, Robin! Check here. Swede's has all manner of rentals on Bolivar, so it's just a ferry-ride away from Galveston. :)

FYI, there are some rowdier areas of Crystal Beach on the weekends (one in particular is called "the zoo" :rolleyes:), but Swede's can help you find a place away from all that.

ETA: The only drawback to our vacation there is that we come away wanting to buy a beach house!

#25 Robin in Tx

Robin in Tx

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1290 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

Thanks! I was wondering if it was Bolivar. I've heard that since they've banned alcohol on the Galveston beaches, the rowdy crowds have started going there... so we have stayed clear of it... glad to know that Swede's can help avoid all that!!

Thanks again so much for the link!

Robin

ETA: When I met my dh, his family had a place in Jamaica Beach, waterfront on the bay side. After watching what went into that for a couple of years, I was cured of my desire to ever own a beach house EVER. Good friends of ours who could afford three beach houses go down to Galveston and rent one for an entire month each year. They say that it costs less than what the property taxes would cost and by the end of a month, they've all got their fill. I will admit, though, that something about going over that causeway makes the stress just melt away, doesn't it? My sister and her husband have a condo down there, and they put their house in Houston on the market and moved down to their condo. She works in the Galleria area. No kidding! She works from home a couple of days a week and drives in the other. She says it's worth it!

#26 Ravin

Ravin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4830 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

That's easy. We'd go to Pennsic.

#27 Jenny in Atl

Jenny in Atl

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6100 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:01 PM

Charleston - rent a house and walk the historic district then hit the beach. $1,000 won't get you much these days. Now if it was more like $10,000....

#28 Eliana

Eliana

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:03 PM

Whoops! I didn't give my own response:

I think we'd go to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival... I went every year, often multiple times a year from 6 to the year our eldest turned one.. but we lived in Oregon then, and ticket prices were within the reach of ordinary mortals. I'd like to see what they are doing these days...

Perhaps we'd go back to the Bard on the Beach... dh and dd#1 went one year for a joint b-day present (the rest of us watched Anne of Green Gables on the laptop in the car while they were in the play.), but we couldn't swing more than two tickets on top of the gas money. They saw a fascinating production of Troilus and Cressida (not one I'd have chosen for the little ones!) set during the (American) Civil War.

We might do the cross-country trip the kids want (we drove cross-country in '99 to see my grandmother before she died - I should have thought of that before saying we'd never spent that much money on a vacation...)...though with gas prices what they are, I don't know if we could really do it on that any more. (We stayed in other people's homes most nights (when we were going to be within reach of an Orthodox Jewish community) and (for kashrus reasons) any meals not eaten by someone else we brought with us until we got to Chicago... We had such fun, despite the sad occasion. We took side roads, read about each of the states we were passing through, and made a lot of spontaneous stops...

From the responses, I can see that I am clearly in need of a clue here about the reality of vacation costs! Wow! This board keeps expanding my awareness of the larger world - and I will now be spared shock-inducing sticker shock if we do ever try for a vacation!

#29 Aubrey

Aubrey

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11000 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

Well, I'm not sure how much it would cost, but I'd love to take the kids to N Dakota. There's a town there that has a Little House on the Prairie thing that looks like fun, & the dc were *so* into LHP last yr when dh was reading it to them. I'd swing by Mt Rushmore on the way home.

#30 Karenciavo

Karenciavo

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5018 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:10 PM

...where would you go and what would you do?

(Someone on the Disney thread said their Disney vacation was around $1000; that's where I got the dollar amount.)

No, we don't have that much to spend on a vacation (and have never spent that much), but if you *could*, what would you do?

I could never do Disney for $1000, the park tickets alone are over $1000 for just the 5 of us.

For $1000 I guess I would go to an off season beach in the fall and rent a cottage. The Outer Banks have some inexpensive September rentals. I guess we would have to limit our activity to beach combing and lighthouse climbing due to lack of funds.

#31 Aubrey

Aubrey

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11000 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:10 PM

Hey, Robin! Check here. Swede's has all manner of rentals on Bolivar, so it's just a ferry-ride away from Galveston. :)

FYI, there are some rowdier areas of Crystal Beach on the weekends (one in particular is called "the zoo" :rolleyes:), but Swede's can help you find a place away from all that.

ETA: The only drawback to our vacation there is that we come away wanting to buy a beach house!

Aw, my dad lived on Crystal Beach. It was *so* nice to go visit there in the autumn.

#32 Aubrey

Aubrey

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11000 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

Here, too. A cabin on the Cape with NO tv, NO computer, NO phone... just the kids and us, the beach during the day and a bunch of games for eves. aaaaah!

Oh, come on. Take *us* with you!

#33 Mamagistra

Mamagistra

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:14 PM

II guess we would have to limit our activity to beach combing and lighthouse climbing due to lack of funds.

I'll spring for the pork roll! ;) :lol::lol:

#34 Aubrey

Aubrey

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11000 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

We're studying American history this year, and the kids are clamoring to see Williamsburg and Jamestown, and I'd love to take them to DC, Mt Vernon, Monticello... I'm hoping maybe I can come up with a way to swing that in the fall. (It helps that it's driving distance to my parents, so we could make the trip dual-purpose.)

Wait. This was supposed to be *our* dream vacation (for under $1000), right? I'm w/ you in that case! I've *always* wanted to go to the NE. Hmm...actually, I'm pretty sure that would blow the $1000 budget in our case, though.

#35 elegantlion

elegantlion

An Adventure Awaits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24702 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:19 PM

I think we'd head over to the beaches of Texas for a week. We were supposed to go to Galveston last summer and had to cancel because of dh's work. (grumble grumble). I'll wait until it warms up a little so we hit Shlitterbahn.

I need some real beach sand between my toes. I'm going through beach withdrawl.

If we had 1000.00 per person I'd go back here. Hotel Sugar Beach, Costa Rica.

http://www.sugar-beach.com/

I'm going to stare at my sand collection now. :willy_nilly:

#36 LibraryLover

LibraryLover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16823 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:21 PM

I'm the one who stayed in a Disney hotel for 10 days and spent under 1k. We didn't actually 'do Disney'. We stayed at the Music Resort (69/night AAA) and went to twp parks in that entire time. We had a blast, however. Pool- hopping, laying in the sun, being together, having no place to run to, no time frames, etc. I took the kids to the petting zoo in the Wilderness Cabin area, to Downtown Disney to have ice cream cones and play with Lego and in the Lego play yard, they played in the ' dancing waters' etc. It was one of the most relaxing, peaceful vacations I ever had, really. I have pix of my kids drinking Shirley Temples and eating cheese sandwiches (which I made from our cooler) on the 'beach' at the Polynesian looking like they are having quite a fancy vacation, when it was really quite low key. I was with the kids by myself most of the time as dh was in Orlando on biz. But it was easy-peasy, and the sun for this New Englander was a gift.

#37 Karenciavo

Karenciavo

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5018 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

I'll spring for the pork roll! ;) :lol::lol:

Pork roll, egg, & cheese on a hard roll? :thumbup:

#38 iquilt

iquilt

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1086 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

I think the only vacation that dh would like on $1000 is the Great Wolf Lodge, in winter, for 3-4 nights. We're surprising the kids at the end of this month with an overnight visit as we are not taking a vacation this year, this is our saving $ year.

#39 lynn

lynn

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5470 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:47 PM

Tour new england in the fall, hike and camp out at the grand canyon, really great rafting/camping trip in colorado. I can't sit still in one place for a week,:w00t:

#40 Eliana

Eliana

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:51 PM

Well, I'm not sure how much it would cost, but I'd love to take the kids to N Dakota. There's a town there that has a Little House on the Prairie thing that looks like fun, & the dc were *so* into LHP last yr when dh was reading it to them. I'd swing by Mt Rushmore on the way home.

We went to a living history farm in Iowa that was fabulous! We couldn't stay as long as we wanted to - we were expected somewhere for the night - but it was so much fun! ...I think I had as much fun as the kids did - I got to pump water and wander through a general store... and a kitchen I would *never* want to have to cook in, but was so much fun to see being used...

#41 Eliana

Eliana

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

I'm the one who stayed in a Disney hotel for 10 days and spent under 1k. We didn't actually 'do Disney'. We stayed at the Music Resort (69/night AAA) and went to twp parks in that entire time. We had a blast, however. Pool- hopping, laying in the sun, being together, having no place to run to, no time frames, etc. I took the kids to the petting zoo in the Wilderness Cabin area, to Downtown Disney to have ice cream cones and play with Lego and in the Lego play yard, they played in the ' dancing waters' etc. It was one of the most relaxing, peaceful vacations I ever had, really. I have pix of my kids drinking Shirley Temples and eating cheese sandwiches (which I made from our cooler) on the 'beach' at the Polynesian looking like they are having quite a fancy vacation, when it was really quite low key. I was with the kids by myself most of the time as dh was in Orlando on biz. But it was easy-peasy, and the sun for this New Englander was a gift.

I hope you don't feel picked on! It was the only solid number I saw... and I had no idea where it fell on the spectrum or anything... it sounds as if you had such a lovely time! :)

#42 Mamagistra

Mamagistra

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:05 PM

Pork roll, egg, & cheese on a hard roll? :thumbup:

I'm there! Is this a moms-only retreat with Latin jokes and commonplace books? :D

#43 PrairieAir

PrairieAir

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1197 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:45 PM

I'd visit one of the national parks and/or go backpacking again. We did one nice backpacking trip to the Weminuche Wilderness in Colorado when the youngest was 4 1/2. After 5 days of back country camping, we went to Durango and rested one night in a hotel before looking around Durango, spending a day at Mesa Verde, going on to the Grand Canyon (and almost CA because we were "so close"), then back up through Utah with a stop at Hovenweep, and back through Colorado with a few days in Telluride. I think we spent around $2,000 for a little less than two weeks. That's how much I'm remembering anyway. We bought our food at grocery stores and ate simply for the most part. Our biggest expenses were the few hotels we stayed in, though we tried to keep that low budget, too. I'd love to do that kind of vacation again. We've only had four family vacations that were more than weekend camping trips--and often those weekend camping trips were with Scouts.

I've also been thinking for years now that it would be nice to take my kids to New Jersey to see some people we know there and see where my dad grew up and where I spent a very happy part of my childhood. My dad died when I was 12. He was an only child. My Gram died when I was in high school and my Pop died when our oldest was a baby without ever having seen him. I don't think there is anyone left on that side of the family except a half brother who probably is not really my father's son and whom my dad never saw (Dad died a few months before he was born) and never claimed. I feel so badly that my children don't know very much about my dad. There don't seem to be many opportunities for talking about him with them that seem natural. It's also hard for me to talk about him because I miss him so much, but I'd like my kids to know something about him and feel some connection to him. :sad:Ugh. I don't know where that came from. :001_huh:Time to stuff it back down where it belongs.:blush::chillpill:

#44 Aubrey

Aubrey

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11000 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:52 PM

We went to a living history farm in Iowa that was fabulous! We couldn't stay as long as we wanted to - we were expected somewhere for the night - but it was so much fun! ...I think I had as much fun as the kids did - I got to pump water and wander through a general store... and a kitchen I would *never* want to have to cook in, but was so much fun to see being used...

Well, my grmother has *her* grmother's butter churn, & when we get to that pt in history, I think we're going to go stay w/ her & make butter, ice cream, etc.

Pretty close, authentic in that she's really done that stuff, & free, except gas. And as a plus, I get to learn about it w/out an endless Google search!

#45 LibraryLover

LibraryLover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16823 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:59 PM

I hope you don't feel picked on! It was the only solid number I saw... and I had no idea where it fell on the spectrum or anything... it sounds as if you had such a lovely time! :)

I did not feel picked on at all. :) It was a great vacation and I felt so proud having done it on the cheap. Relatively-speaking, of course. It's not chump change or anything, but it was a nice break from the cold at a pretty modest price.:auto:

#46 Donna T.

Donna T.

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

For $1000, I would drive 6 hours to Gulf Shores, AL.

We'll be in Gulf Shores for four nights next week! We love it there, but we are biased because we are locals... we live in the same county, but in the northern part.

We want to go out west next. Maybe to the Grand Canyon. And, we also love the mountains in North Carolina.

#47 Donna T.

Donna T.

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

Our four night stay in Gulf Shores, AL won't be more than that, but we are able to drive. Only 45 minutes or so.

Condo on the beach: $115.00 a night. Includes several outdoor swimming pools, an indoor pool, hot tub, workout facility, arcade, movie and books to check out, picnic areas, lots and lots of bright white sand, blue water, fishing pier, tennis courts, putt-putt area.
We'll prepare our own meals (stuff we'd be eating at home anyways), maybe hit The Oyster House once: $60.00 for the OH.
New bathing suit for me: $50.00.
Fishing gear: $50.00.
Gas: $50.00
Zoo: maybe $40.00
Biophilia Nature Center: free
There are lots of free things to do down here. Lots of shopping, but we'll skip that. I just can't wait to feel the sand! If you've never seen Alabama's beaches, you really should plan to. But, do it fast, because we'll be a concrete jungle eventually.

#48 Eliana

Eliana

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:18 AM

I feel so badly that my children don't know very much about my dad. There don't seem to be many opportunities for talking about him with them that seem natural. It's also hard for me to talk about him because I miss him so much, but I'd like my kids to know something about him and feel some connection to him. :sad:Ugh. I don't know where that came from. :001_huh:Time to stuff it back down where it belongs.:blush::chillpill:

((PrairieAir))

Here are a few things my mother did to help us feel connected to my father's father (who died when I was 2) and our older brother, who died before any of us were born:

Photos were up with other family photos - we knew who they were for as long as I can remember.

She'd go through family photo albums and share stories - about everyone.

She told a lot of family stories - my grandfather's bad puns, love of gardening, rock garden, kindness, love of Satie's piano music, and reading preferences are all things I never remember when I learned, but I have always felt as if I really knew him. My brother was 8 months old when he died, so there were fewer stories... but his interest in and keen observation of the world, his mellow nature, his joy are so familiar to me.

We celebrated their birthdays. On my grandfather's birthday we made his special chocolate chip cookies - and used his secret technique. She had a special, beautiful, candle for each that we lit on their birthdays. We looked at photos and talked about them...

My brother's yahrzeit (anniversary of his death) is always poignant for me... and it remains a hard day for my mother.

I realize now how much it must have taken for my mother to do this, but she achieved her goal of having them, especially my brother, be so real to us. Even as a small child, I would answer automatically that I had 2 brothers and a sister (when my father had children in his second marriage, those numbers changed - to my mother there is no such thing as half a sibling, they were brother and sister too.) and I struggle to make my grandmother that real for my kids. I miss her so much, that, as you said, it can be hard to talk about... but the kids love it so much when I do. And they devour stories about my childhood...

The grief never leaves, does it? Not when someone has been so special and so important. Losing a parent, I'm told, changes the whole shape of the world - and I saw that in my mother when my grandmother was niftar.
:grouphug:

#49 Jolash

Jolash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:36 AM

I don't know the exact total but it's got to be close to $1000 that we'll be spending for 6 nights in a gulf front jr. suite, food, excursions, etc in Panama City Beach, FL. We go every other year and stay in the same small, family owned hotel. It's on the opposite end of the "spring break" PCB... quiet, family oriented and we go in the off season when the local kids have gone back to school (this year: 8/22 - 28) White sand, turquoise water, snorkling with tropical fish, laying at the pool for hours on end.... please, make time go faster = I can't wait!

By the way, that $1000 doesn't include any shopping I have to do at the outlets! ;)

#50 Wendi

Wendi

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2895 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

Probably a week at the beach (either southern California or Rocky Point in Mexico).

Our other option would be the Grand Canyon. We've lived in AZ for four years, and still haven't been there. I think it'd be fun to camp up there, or maybe stay in that historic lodge.

Or a cabin on a lake up in the White Mountains.

Wendi

What's with the ads?