Prove CA > Co

He said this

Triangle OCE is congruent to Triangle ANE Given

CE+Eo> Co Triangle Inequality theorem

EO=EA corresponding parts of congruent triangles are equal

ce+ea>co substitution postulate

CE+EA=CA Betweeness of Points

CA>CO Substitution Postulate

THE BOOK SAYS THIS (I don't have enough knowledge to argue why he's wrong or if he is right having taken a different approach)

Ce+EA= CA Betweeness of points

E0=EA Corresponding parts of congruent triangles are equal

CA=CE+co Substitution Postulate

CE+EO > CO Triangle Inequality Theorem

The figure is hopefully attached as a zip file as I couldn't figure out any other way to load it up and I couldn't make it an image. But it is two triangles sharing line Eo pointing up between them. CE and EA are the bottom . With Triangle ANE having point N as a point on line EO .

TIA!

proof.zip

proof.zip

Thanks! :lol:

It is sad when you don't have enough info to argue back. LOL! I told him I would throw his response out on the web and see if anyone with more knowledge could say he was wrong because of this and that. Otherwise, I really can't see any reason why the order and jump he did is wrong. I'm sure there probably is a wrong there but ??? I don't know. :lol: He thinks differently and we are working more toward writing the answers like the book answers to make it easier when he goes to college. Someone grading quickly isn't going to take the time to see the answer is in a different format.

You're welcome :lol: It was the best I could do. :tongue_smilie:

All of the memories of having gone through the proofs just like that came flooding back. I'd have the solutions manual with the answer one way - and one way only - and dd would give me her proof. Probably perfectly fine, but since I didn't know for sure if a step was missed or a reason given not quite right, I'd have her do them over following the "thinking" used in the solutions manual. It made it the year from #%^^!!!! :svengo: It's the reason we used an outside school last year, so she could ask a math teacher when needed. It would have been awesome to have had that support for geometry.

Notice how many replies you got??? :lol:

Thank YOU! We were just laughing about this. I'm going to go over again tomorrow with more coffee and chocolate and see if anything jumps out. If not, we'll call it good and roll on! LOL!

(it's the first proof out of Jacob's Geometry that we have not been able to see why the answer is completely correct and ours is wrong so I am comfortable moving on)

who could help with this?

My son needs to prove the following

Given Triangle OCE is congruent to Triangle ANE

Prove CA > Co

He said this

CE+Eo> Co Triangle Inequality theorem

EO=EA corresponding parts of congruent triangles are equal

ce+ea>co substitution postulate

CE+EA=CA Betweeness of Points

The figure is hopefully attached as a zip file as I couldn't figure out any other way to load it up and I couldn't make it an image. But it is two triangles sharing line Eo pointing up between them. CE and EA are the bottom . With Triangle ANE having point N as a point on line EO .

TIA!

Your son is right and I don't see anything wrong with his proof. Although, problem asks to prove CA > CO, the zipped figure to me showed CA significantly shorter than CO without making any actual measurements. Also, triangles should appear to be congruent without actually measuring any sides or angles. So I am assuming the original diagram could be different from diagram in your attachment.

Short Proof:

-------------

Given: OCE & ANE as congruent triangles

Consider triangle OCE,

OC < CE + EO (due to triangle inequality)

OC < CE + EA (due to Given, EA = EO)

OC < CA (due to betweeness of points CA = CE + EA )

QED

Best regards.

mpcTutor

www.mpclasses.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AP Calculus, AP Physics, Singapore Math Grades 7-12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If you replied to my post but didn't get an answer from me in reasonable time, I ask you to check the assumptions in your question. Thank you

US Central Time: 11:30 AM 7/29/2010

thanks! I don't know if the diagram is really accurate. they all look "off" in the book and never really seem to look they way they are supposed to. And I wasn't all the perfect on copying the figure doing that one on the fly with a baby. He's a pretty exact guy so I've had to train him to disregard the scale of the figures and assume from the given and theorems what should be equal or whatever.

But thanks again. It's nice to know that the proofs can be done differently from the book in reason. He'll appreciate that! I just couldn't come up with an argument that made his proof wrong. Nice to know that it wasn't.:lol:

But I still had lots of coffee and chocolate anyway!