Menu

what is your method of keeping grades?

Guest Barb B

I confess -for most of the semester or quarter I keep the grade and tabulate grades on a piece of loose leaf! I then at the end of each quarter put these into a report card looking template I have on the cumputer. This simply lists the classes with space for a % grade for each quarter. At the end of the year I figure out the final grade for each class and then place that on his transcript.

Barb

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I use Excel to create a workbook for each student, with a page for each subject. It was really easy to write it so that as I enter their grades it tabulates the current grade and then final totals for each semester. I like being in total control of what is what percent of each grade and it's way easier than the program I tried (Edu-Track) and hated.

I use a form from Donna Young's site donnayoung.org which is green and white when it prints, and has many rows and columns, enough to keep daily grades for the year in several subjects on two 8.5x11" pages. I record the number grades along with q for quiz or T for test or F for final, or h for homework, p for project/paper, etc.

At the end of the year I weight the grades according to my course description/syllabus that I drew up in the beginning of the year. I use a calculator.

Then I input the final grade and credit in EduTrack, which lives on a virtual windows environment on my Mac.

I'm sure there is an easier way, but this feels right for me.

Check out The Homeschool Student Planner from Joanne Calderwood at Encore Ink. We tried many types of planners, etc., but this one has worked the best. There is a two-page spread for each week with blocks for up to 7 courses and a place to record books read and notes. At the beginning of each 9-week semester, there is a sheet to record goals and an envelope for all important papers. At the end of the nine weeks, there is a grade sheet. When the student has finished the school year, she has a nice portfolio with everything in one place. Love it.

Bonita

I have used Edu-Track in my own homeschool.

I have used this for a year in a co-op. It's really wonderful. And it is free. http://engrade.com/

If you are teaching in a co-op, the kids get a password and can view your running gradebook for them. I used it last year in a co-op class, and loved that students and parents could see grades, with all the assignments listed.

Edited by Brigid in NC

This is the first year DD will have any tests or such that will actually have grades I could attach. I plan on just writing them in the planner next to the assignment. Then I can go through and tally grades over the 12 week period.

I probably wouldn't bother except DD wants grades.:001_huh:

I drew up some tables with room for the dates and then room for the course components. I am using percentage grading and can average and calculate from the grading rubric and off the tables whenever I want to. I only have 1 student so, excel, etc. seemed excessive.

Guest ME-Mommy

I've been using "Homeschool Tracker" (Basic Edition - FREE) for the past 4 years...I'm not sure if it works on a Mac or not. I couldn't find that info on their website.