Menu

Would you use 'Galloping the Globe' or 'Trip Around the World' with a K'er?

Tonia

I'm looking at some things for next year and want to spend a year studying countries and cultures. I would like to go country by country - reading a book or two, doing a project, looking at a map and cooking something from that country. I would like a book that would give me a few ideas for books to read, projects and recipes, and some map or flag coloring pages.

I've looked at a few samples of "Galloping the Globe" and "Trip Around the World" but it is hard to really get a feel for either one. So, for those who have used either of these, do you think either one would be appropriate for a 5 year old child?

Thanks so much! ;)

I've never seen A Trip Around the World, so I can't comment on that. Galloping the Globe is pretty much exactly what you described -- reading a few books, doing a project, coloring a map and doing some cooking. I did it when my son was in K and we really enjoyed it. I'd like to "Gallop" to a few countries again this summer with my 2nd and Ker. My daughter was too young to get into it much the first time, but my son and I really enjoyed it when we did it before.

Lisa

We did. I spent last fall on GTG with 3 & 5 yr olds, kind of filling time until they would be more ready to start SOTW. We had a lot of fun, and *I* learned a lot! The kids have retained more than I expected, especially as far as map locations. The cooking & crafts were a big hit, and we did a lapbook too with one "book" per continent (except Asia got a few because it was first and I didn't have a plan yet). I think it really gave my 5yo a frame of reference going into history now - today she was doing the SOTW map of the fertile crescent, and asked where it was in relation to Egypt (which has a corner in that map). We didn't do ALL of GTG, just chose enough countries for about 2 weeks per continent, but you could use it for anything from 3 months to 2 years.

A few more questions, if anyone has time to respond :)

Does GtG include a map and/or flag for each country?

What books did you find necessary to expand on the information presented?

That's all I can think of, for now. :o

and I'm not sure how much has changed. The edition I have has an outline map of each country as well as a flag. To be honest, I wouldn't get any of the companion books they recommended in the older version except for Children Just Like Me. From what I understand, they did remove the recipes that were in the original book and put them all into a cookbook, so I would definitely get that.

The companion books just weren't that great or necessary in my opinion. I bought them all and never used any of them except for Children Just Like Me. Most of them were very dry. I do really like Considering God's Creation, but it was just too much for my kindergartener. I'm saving my copy for when my kids are older.

The books I did use were from lists they gave for each country. While I couldn't find all the book recommendations they made, I could always find a fair amount of them and then I would do a search and add more of my own.

You've definitely got to use the library to do this program.

HTH,

Lisa

We used GTG exactly as you've described it - as a precursor to formal history study. It was so fun, my dd (then 4) loved it and my ds (then 3) sat in often. We have great pictures of our projects and very fond memories. The stories are also very enriching. I still use the book lists for my kiddos, now 5 and 7.

There are maps and flags for each country covered.

Good luck!

I used a lot of library books to supplement, though not always what they recommended. We checked out Children Just Like Me so many times I ended up buying the book, because both girls were asking for more. I really didn't like Missionary Stories with the Millers because my 5yo is really sensitive and there are very suspenseful/dangerous situations in that book. There's a GTG yahoo group that is very helpful too.