Menu

What fun things do you do to supplement spelling?

jpklehm

We've used Spelling Workout for six years, with both sons, and we enjoy it. I don't want to change it but do want some fresh suggestions as to activities to supplement it.

Right now I have my sons (12 and 7) read and do the first page on Mondays (after we discuss the rules and go over examples). They do the second page (and sometimes third page) on Tuesdays; on Wednesdays they sometimes do Spellingcity.com or I make them word finds or have them do a short creative writing assignment with some of the words. On Thursdays we review orally and sometimes I have my youngest write the words in ABC order and my oldest write a few sentences or write the words two times each...boring for sure. On Fridays they take their spelling tests.

My boys are good spellers and like I mentioned, I don't want to switch programs. I also don't want to get into a discussion of other good spelling programs; I know there are many good ones out there and everyone has one they like, but I want to know what you all do to supplement the programs with fun activities.

How do you keep it interesting and fun?

TIA,

Pam

Late this Spring when we were almost done with our spelling book I started sending my 6 year old outside with sidewalk chalk to write the words in the driveway. She LOVED it so we will continue with that in the coming year. We also started playing hangman with her words for the week. Jennifer

We just finished Oak Meadow's 4th Grade curriculum, and they had some fun, creative ideas for spelling review. Some of them were:

Draw a "map" of a small town. Name the streets and buildings after spelling words.

Make a "windsock"- just decorate a paper plate, attach crepe papers streamers to it, and write a spelling word on each streamer.

Write the spelling words on the sidewalk with chalk, on someone's back with your finger, in the dirt with a stick, in a tray of salt with your finger.

Toss a ball back and forth taking turns chanting the letters in each spelling word.

Sometimes we'd also write each word out and she'd make a big "bubble letter" for the first letter of the word, and then she'd use colored pencils to make different designs and colors in that letter.

Make up a short story or a poem using all of the spelling words.

Play a memory game with the spelling words- use index cards and make pairs of word cards. Flip them over trying to find matches.

Here's a website I came across that lists a bunch of other fun ways, including some interactive sites where you can play spelling games or animate your spelling words and things like that:

http://www.sd5.k12.mt.us/elrod/multiage/spelling.html

These are fantastic! I especially like playing Hangman with the words, writing short (possibly fun and silly) poems, and playing a memory game with their words. These are all fun ways to practice yet don't take a lot of time, either.

Thanks! Any more ideas??

Pam

If you search for "free printable spelling task cards" you should come up with some sites that have cards you can print out. They have all sorts of ideas for ways to practice spelling words.

Also, you can use:

alphabet stamps

stickers

letter tiles

magnetic letters

stencils

write them in a rainbow of colors

Hope this helps.:001_smile: