Menu

How do you find the scholarships?

Most of the best scholarships come from the college itself. From what I hear, it is almost impossible to get enough outside scholarships to do more than slightly dent the cost of college. Scholarships from colleges can easily range from several thousands off to full tuition to full ride plus. Where to look depends a lot on your child's test scores. Some schools even have scholarship calculators like if you score 32 on the ACT, full tuition or something like that.

Most of the best scholarships come from the college itself. From what I hear, it is almost impossible to get enough outside scholarships to do more than slightly dent the cost of college. Scholarships from colleges can easily range from several thousands off to full tuition to full ride plus. Where to look depends a lot on your child's test scores. Some schools even have scholarship calculators like if you score 32 on the ACT, full tuition or something like that.

:iagree:but fastweb.com is helpful.

I agree that the college itself tends to provide the best aid, but don't overlook local scholarships. The best place to find those is to check in your local high school guidance office - especially in the spring, but SOME scholarships need to be applied for junior year (we didn't try for any of those). Our guidance office prints out a packet monthly of all scholarships offered, who they are designed for (major, specific area, etc), contact info to apply, and the deadline. Our office was also very open to homeschoolers coming in to ask for this packet or seek info. My oldest won two of these local scholarships - one rather minor ($500 one time), and one rather major ($4500 renewable w/grades - potential of $18,000).

Then, don't forget to check through employers, banks, credit unions, clubs or other such things you might belong to. Some of those offer scholarships too.

My oldest has tried several from fastweb, etc, but hasn't heard so much as a peep - unless you count junk e-mail - from any of those. I think there are so many students on there that the odds are rather low. Nonetheless, it didn't cost anything to apply.

My son will receive a booklet (last year's was 60+ pages) from his guidance counselor when he returns to school in September. The booklet lists all the local/state scholarships that are available--small state so local=state most of the time :lol: This same information is available online at our state's Department of Education website. I found it originially by following links from the University of Delaware's scholarship information page.

You can also check the websites of your local high school(s), especially a charter high school with a math/science specialization. Some digging may be necessary.

I might add, check with EVERY organization to which anyone in your family belongs. Many have scholarships. Since hubby and I are members of a benevolent organization (Foresters) I had ds do the essay and paperwork to apply for one of their scholarships ($2,000 a year for four years). He got one!!! yes, it is a small amount - but that is $2,000 less per year we have to fund = and should cover books/computer etc. :-)

A friend's kid got a scholarship from one of the groups her dad was in.

Local Rotary clubs,etc will also have scholarships, even for non-members, as part of their desire to help the local community.

We went to the hs guidance office Spring of dd's Jr yr to get the lay of the land. She was told to contact them about every 2 wks starting in January (Sr. yr) to see what's happening.

Our main problem here is that there is ONE hs (the ps) so many of the scholarships are specifically for the HS grads--not any local hs grads.