Menu

How much does a tutor charge?

How much does a Latin or any other academic tutor charge per half hour?

Is it better to hire a graduate student as Latin tutor or would an under-graduate student do?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

I usually gauge prices by the local rates for piano teachers. It's very regional, with some areas of the country charging more. And even within a region, it may be cheaper in the country where jobs are harder to find, or in the city, if folks can't pay as much.

The services provided also matter. If someone includes teaching materials, comes to your home, or is flexible with scheduling, the cost may be more.

Julie

I live in East TN, and I charge $25/hour for OG lessons. I am a trained tutor with 12 years experience, plus a degree in Special Ed. I will not see students less that twice a week. I spend 30-60 minutes planning for every hour I teach.

Of course, I would expect college students to charge less.

I charge $15-20 per hour for occasional tutoring and $10-15 per hour for regularly scheduled sessions (weekly)... same price for the past 25 years.

I'm 'dirt cheap' as DH lets me know all the time! (My online class students pay about $7.50 per week!) Obviously I'm not in it for the money--I personally find tutoring/teaching VERY rewarding.

As a mom "I" could not afford $40 per week for Math tutoring... There are areas (wealthy) in Austin where I could easily tutor for $50+ per hour--but most likely those would be the 'spoiled rich kids' who do not do their homework... UGG... don't waste my time!

I agree that rates vary tremendously depending on location and expertise of the tutor.

My husband tutors. He has a PhD in science but most commonly tutors math. Quite honestly, he is excellent at what he does. That said, we live in a fairly low income area. He charges $16.00 per hour, and he usually tutors at the student's home or at the public library. He also tutors online via Skype.

Regards,

Kareni

I am a certified teacher, so I could probably ask a bit more, but most families around here can't afford more, especially if they are one-income/homeschool families. (In my county, approximately 24% of people live below poverty level, and the current unemployment rate is 15%.)

Edited by ereks mom

My part of Florida is very affluent and qualified tutors (college-degree and/or work experience) ask anywhere from $40 to $75 an hour. However, the tutors who actually get the jobs are charging $15 to $20 an hour; that's what we paid this past spring.

There is a huge spread between what is being "asked" and what is being paid.

Makes me wonder if some of these tutors are out-of-touch with today's tough economic times?

EDITED: On the front page of our paper yesterday was a big spread about an elementary teacher who was laid off and cannot find work--even outside of the education field. We have very high unemployment now--12.9%--and a huge surplus of educated retirees who are willing to tutor just to earn some "golf money".

Edited by distancia

My part of Florida is very affluent and qualified tutors (college-degree and/or work experience) ask anywhere from $40 to $75 an hour. However, the tutors who actually get the jobs are charging $15 to $20 an hour; that's what we paid this past spring.

There is a huge spread between what is being "asked" and what is being paid.

Makes me wonder if some of these tutors are out-of-touch with today's tough economic times?

DH had so many people asking for tutoring that he had to turn some away last year (he works full time teaching, so he only tutors 8-10 hours a week). I imagine it has to do with being in a relatively affluent school district, though...and with Georgia's new math curriculum.

DH had so many people asking for tutoring that he had to turn some away last year (he works full time teaching, so he only tutors 8-10 hours a week). I imagine it has to do with being in a relatively affluent school district, though...and with Georgia's new math curriculum.

From other things you have posted, I think I live in the county just south of you. I charge $40/hour for math, physics, and chemistry tutoring. I turn down students. And if I think a student isn't working hard enough, I tell them to find another tutor.

While an undergraduate student may be able read and translate Latin, you'll get more for your tutoring money with someone who is older and more experienced. When seeking the services of a tutor, look for experience working with younger students, experience with your textbook or curriculum, and ALWAYS check references.

Christine

www.latinforhomeschoolers.com

Edited by magistrahahn
typo!