Menu

What are your top 3 Read alouds for Kindergarten?

ScoutTN

My Ds loved

Mr Popper's Penguins

Thornton Burgess Books- The Adventures of Reddy Fox, Buster Bear ect...

Charlotte's Web

That is all I can think of right now- but my kids loved all books from the Sonlight lists or Hearts of Dakota reading lists.

Charlotte"s Web

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

My Father's Dragon

This list is what I'd choose for boys. Maybe the list would be different if I had girls? (I've got four boys.)

Fourth book would be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Wow, you're tough! Hmm.... if I could only use three books for Kindergarten, what would they be? For me, it would have to be these:

1. The Children's Illustrated Bible, retold by Selina Hastings (DK)

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Children%92s+Illustrated+Bible/041451/1279923074-1102611

2. Classic Fairy Tales, illustrated by Scott Gustafson [that's the important part!] (Greenwich Workshop Press)

http://www.scottgustafson.com/Books_FT.html

3. Oh, three is sooooooooo haaaaaaaaard. Aaaaaah. You are tormenting me. I'm reflecting on the snuggly moments, and it is so gosh-dang hard to choose.

So. It's a tie between our beloved elephant, Babar --

http://www.amazon.com/Bonjour-Babar-Unabridged-Classics-Creator/dp/0375810609/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279923830&sr=8-3

our beloved monkey, George --

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Adventures-Curious-George-Anniversary/dp/0618164413/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279923857&sr=1-1

and our beloved dog, Angus --

http://www.amazon.com/Angus-Ducks-Marjorie-Flack/dp/0374403856/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_3

We also adore Ping. And Make Way for Ducklings. And Little Bear. And Winnie the Pooh. And...

Oh, you choose. :p

:lurk5:

I bought the Little House books to read to my dc over the coming winter and started re-reading them myself and can't put them down. Don't know if we will last until winter to read them together. I thought that would be a cozy thing to do but my kiddos are so curious as to what Mommy is reading, I may have to read them sooner. :)

This is a tough pick, but I'm going with...

My Father's Dragon

The Jamie and Angus Stories

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

If you asked the KIDS what were their favorite read alouds of the year (this being the K year), there would be overlap, but I'm sure it would include Judy Moody and Stink books too. Also, they would probably say the BFG, which almost made my three there. And we actually read My Father's Dragon (and some of the other mentions up thread, like The Tale of Despereaux) in preK.

James Herriot's Treasury for Children

Beatrix Potter books

A Bible story book

Can I go on record as saying that it would be TORTURE to have to choose only three read-alouds for kindergarten? ;) I am aching to homeschool a little kid again! Charlotte will be one on August 1 - wish she'd sit still for Beatrix.....:D

We've read so many books, but one stands out because DD requested it almost every night from when she was 3.5-4.5 years old....

Winnie the Pooh

The other two would be Charlotte's Web (some people don't approve of this book for little kids) and Ralph the Mouse series (to me I find the mouse slightly annoying, but I'm not a 5 year old).

Guest Cindie2dds
If you had to choose only 3, what would they be?

Thanks!

Beatrix Potter (complete works)

A Treasury of Children's Literature

Robert McCloskey (complete works)

Those were the three we read last year for Kindergarten as our spine. It's so hard to choose just three. We are going to do the same in the fall of 2011 with my Kindy girl then also.

ETA: I just had to add more because these are the ones she begs for... :lol: "just a little more, please!"

The Wizard of Oz (including The Land of Oz)

The Lion Storyteller Bedtime Book

Anything by Elsa Beskow

Edited by Cindie2dds

Don't worry, we are planning to read way more than three! :D

I just thought asking for people's top three would give me a "cream of the crop" sort of answer.

So far our list includes:

Winnie the Pooh

Charlotte's Web

Little House

My Father's Dragon

Despereaux

We have and read the James Herriot books and the Beatrix Potter books all the time, so I didn't put them on the list.

There are several in your suggestions that are new to me so I'll be checking them out. Thanks for the help! This fledgling hs mom appreciates it! :001_smile: