Menu

Letter of recommendation for National Merit Scholarship

Letter of recommendation for National Merit Scholarship – does it have to be an academic letter of recommendation? Or can it be from a non-academic person such as a swim coach?

I need to make a decision to sign up my dd in an online class or cc class, if the letter needs to be an academic letter of recommendation. Or maybe I can hire a Latin tutor.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

We called and asked. They were vey ambivalent in their answer and said things like "whatever you feel best represents your student" We did go with a college professor. I do think it helps to impress the board (and some colleges) to have a couple of classes taught bysomeone other than you.

All of our paperwork last year said it should be someone who could confirm what you report academically as well as give a perspective *other than* the other info given.

Ours was written by a family friend, whose wife also uses much of the same curriculum I use, AND he is a college professor. He confirmed the academics and spoke of her character and talents.

She was chosen as a finalist :)

adding...my dd had NO outside classes...we have done it all *in house* :)