Menu

yoga pants for slim girls & sweats for slim boys where do you get them?

Yoga pants are comfortable for wearing at home plus they are inexpensive. The problem is mydd has such a tiny waist they either fall off or are too short. Why can't I find yoga pants to fit her? I have this same problem with my boy and sweats. The drawstrings just don't pull enough, or if they do it just looks weird because it was pulled so much. I never had this problem with my oldest. Did they change the waist sizes? Do they make yoga pants and sweats in slim sizing for kids? I get so tired of having to buy jeans with adjustable waist. I mostly buy dresses and tights so I don't have to deal with it. I can't even buy the cheap knit shorts because of the waist issue. What does everyone else do?

What age is your dd? My dd would NOT wear anything but knit pants for several years and she is very slim, too. I found that Children's Place and Gymboree had the best fit when she was 3 or 4. Now that she's older, the Circo knit pants from Target fit fairly well, but Children's Place is still the best fit. Sometimes you can get them on sale for $6 a pair. She is over 4 1/2 ft tall, weighs less than 55 lbs, and the size 8 fits her nicely.

Right now at Lands End they have some yoga pants but not in the slim size. I did see where Childrens Place is having a good sale at the moment. I haven't tried Target yet either. We used to shop at Gymboree, and would juggle sales and Gymbucks but their knit pants were always too big in the waist. Maybe she is ultra slim. She is 7 now. Sometimes I have found European clothes on clearance, and they seem to fit better, but it is hard finding them marked down enough to where they are affordable, plus I have never noticed any European yoga pants.

I quit shopping at Gymboree about a year ago because Janie and Jack made me mad. They double charged me causing my account to go into overdraft more than $300. I suppose I can quit being so stubborn and try them out again.

I have a 26lb 3.5yr old size 3T (for length) and have the SAME issue. I've found that Children's Place is often too wide for her?? Interesting that it has worked for others! I did however have great luck with the yoga pants that Walmart offered last year (Garanimals brand)! They were slightly loose, but stayed up with no issues, and for $3.50 you can't beat them!

I do wonder if they have changed sizing to fit the increasing girth of most Americans. I don't consider my kids skinny, but all pants are too big in the waist. My youngest has finally decided to just wear dresses all of the time. My middle dd has a pair of yoga pants from Lands End and they are a little big in the waist. Gymboree leggings do seem to work for us, but youngest still prefers dresses.

I do something similar for my SKINNY boy. I run an extra peice of elastic at the waist and then stitch it in the back. Works great! For my DD, Gymboree or Hanna Andersson works the best.

Can you post a picture how this done? My stiching looks rather bad.

Have you tried boden? Their normal prices are a bit high but they have good sales. All their stuff tends to be on the seriously skinny fit side which suits my dd. They do several yoga pant style soft stretchy type trousers. I quite often buy boden off ebay. Their sizing tends to be long too.

I sew them, using an Ottobre "slim" pattern (European patterns tend to be slimmer than U.S.) that I still have to modify to be even slimmer.

I've made so many that I can zip them out about as fast as driving to the store to buy a pair. Plus she gets to choose design details like pockets.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jen Loch

I have a 9yo dd that is ultraslim and 6yo dd that is as well. Children's Place still fits little one but not the leggings. They have slims but only online and not in yoga pants. Target and Walmart are too wide as well as Old Navy and CP. JCPenny worked for up to 6 years old, but now they are too big for 9yo.

It is very frustrating for both of us. I am going to try Land's End but not looking for much since most comments say they are wide as well.

I will always keep trying new places.

Jen

I'm not sure of the age of your son, but we recently had luck at Carters. They only go to size 7 there, but their sister store, Osh Kosh also carries the same sweats. You can buy from both stores online now. I understand your pain, we have to really tighten the adjustable waist of slim sizes.

We buy a lot of Boden because it tends to run slim and long.

If my girls want something that runs big (from Gap for instance) I either add a drawstring (just button holes on the waistband threaded with ribbon) or an extra elastic insert (4-6 inches of elastic sewn inside the waistband on the back).

We just alter knitwear, by taking in the waistband, since its hard to find adjustable waists in that style.

As for other slim fitting styles, my petite 8 year old DD wears Arizona jeans from JCPenney. She is only 40 pounds, and the 6-Slim fits her perfectly.

Yesterday my DD was wearing a pair of small Champion pants from Target. She's a VERY tall 9 year old, so they were totally cracking me up. They fit her fine through - but they looked like Bermuda shorts. LOL!!! I remember when they were long-ish capris! We do adjustable waists, capris, and safety pins when needed.

Yoga pants are comfortable for wearing at home plus they are inexpensive. The problem is mydd has such a tiny waist they either fall off or are too short. Why can't I find yoga pants to fit her? I have this same problem with my boy and sweats. The drawstrings just don't pull enough, or if they do it just looks weird because it was pulled so much. I never had this problem with my oldest. Did they change the waist sizes? Do they make yoga pants and sweats in slim sizing for kids? I get so tired of having to buy jeans with adjustable waist. I mostly buy dresses and tights so I don't have to deal with it. I can't even buy the cheap knit shorts because of the waist issue. What does everyone else do?

My 8yo dd is well built for yoga pants.

My 7yo dd is way to skinny to wear them well. For her, we stick to more traditional leggings in small sizes (which I refer to as spandex, even though they aren't the hideously shinny things I used to wear when I was younger!) Those can pass as "capris" when I have to chose between waist and length, and are perfectly appropriate for wearing out of the house with a long tunic.

I don't know what to tell you with boys! My skinny son prefers to wear jeans around the house. I think he's weird. :tongue_smilie: