Menu

science--I think I have messed up our schedule bigtime!

Okay, so I don't do science very well. I have been on the search this week for an online class since I see that with oldest going into 9th grade. I used Apologia during elementary years, did Rainbow science last year but kids found it dry. We also have always done internet-linked science books and Robert Krampf but honestly even though we love science, the last couple of years, it has been more relaxed than probably I should have. Kids love science and know alot so I have always just gone with that and we study what interests us.

Soooo...now I want to do on online class and because we haven't done much, I am not sure which we should do.

I have looked today at Greg Landry's and spoke with him and he recommended Pre-physics or pre-chemistry. I also am looked at Virtual homeschool group but I am not sure which course to consider. I want something that will not overwhelm both but get them where they should be.

any suggestions!!!!

Okay, so I don't do science very well. I have been on the search this week for an online class since I see that with oldest going into 9th grade. I used Apologia during elementary years, did Rainbow science last year but kids found it dry. We also have always done internet-linked science books and Robert Krampf but honestly even though we love science, the last couple of years, it has been more relaxed than probably I should have. Kids love science and know alot so I have always just gone with that and we study what interests us.

Soooo...now I want to do on online class and because we haven't done much, I am not sure which we should do.

I have looked today at Greg Landry's and spoke with him and he recommended Pre-physics or pre-chemistry. I also am looked at Virtual homeschool group but I am not sure which course to consider. I want something that will not overwhelm both but get them where they should be.

any suggestions!!!!

Regina Coeli Academy offers online science classes. My daughter has loved her Latin class with RCA. Also, there are correspondence programs like University of Nebraska--Lincoln.

my problem is more which subject in science to lean towards with our background. would a general science be better than pre-physics or pre-chemistry or should I try to get them in a General science course first.

It seems most 9th graders are in more advanced science courses than what we need to do.

my problem is more which subject in science to lean towards with our background. would a general science be better than pre-physics or pre-chemistry or should I try to get them in a General science course first.

It seems most 9th graders are in more advanced science courses than what we need to do.

Oh, are you asking which course to take at the two places you mentioned or looking for more places to look into? As for which course, well, I have heard some homeschoolers say they do relaxed science through 8th and then just do high school level science after that. If they are going into 9th, you could do physical science or earth science or even an introductory level biology. Really, Apologia Biology with Virtual Homeschool Group might be just the right thing. I doesn't look as intense as some biology courses I've looked at (Kolbe comes to mind). It looks like it would be a nice intro into the high school sciences. And it doesn't require any math. Or even Apologia Physical would be fine I think, depending on your long term goals. If you want to get in an advanced science, I'd be inclined to give Apologia Biology a try. If not, then I might go with physical or whichever interests them more.

As for my other suggestion of RCA, RCA would have the physical science course available for 9th graders or Biology. Their Physical Science uses Physical Science Explorations and the Biology uses Apologia with some supplements. I think the physical science has a 1 day a week online class and then a study session Friday. Biology would have two days a week class and one day study session on Friday. Not sure if study sessions are optional but I am thinking they are. The classes are live with audio. The description for the physical science says kids would spend about 45 minutes to an hour studying on non-class days. I think Biology would be more.

HTH!

My ds had no formal science curriculum. We had a living book approach through middle school.

He read books about science like the History of Medicine, Exploring the World of Chemistry --John Tyner books, etc.

He did Apologia Biology just fine and got an A.

One of the things we did was look at where we wanted to end up (in 12th) and work backwards. If you have a science-oriented student, your goals -- and the "end line" will be different than if you have a poet. :001_smile:

The traditional approach is one way to look at it: physics 12th, chem 11th, bio 10th, physical science or earth science 9th. Then slice and dice, according to interests.

I don't know if this is helpful or a "duh"! But it helped us, because we had science-y guys who wanted to pack in a lot. So we moved things around, and started a bit earlier -- so we could get in advanced chem and physics.

One relatively new online option for science is Apologia Academy: http://www.apologiaacademy.com/

Hope this is of some help. Best of luck!

~Brigid

thanks for the comments...I always get a little stressed this time of year when I read the posts on what lesson plans look like for your students! Plus, this year with oldest going into 9th...I'm a little more nervous as I don't want him to get behind should we consider ps/private school next year.

I think I will do the virtual homeschool academy as it will covers more than the pre-chemistry or pre-physics from Greg Landry.

One thought...has anyone heard any good comments about the site http://www.quickstudylabs.com? I saw someone the other day that said they were going to use it with the kids and I thought it might be fun for boys as an extra course...my husband says to not bite off too much. I did a search and didn't find any comments whether it was a good choice.

Thanks again for input...

Who hasn't, with science?

High school science is the numbr one reason non-homeschooling people give when they say why they don't want to homeschool.

It is indeed worrisome. It looks like you are doing just fine, though. Lots of people are loose and exploratory and then go straight to community college classes and do ok. I am hoping that works for mine. You are at least providing a stepping stone. I am trying to work on outlining textbooks and general study skills, answering textbook questions, research skills, reading popular science books, current events in science, and designing and writing up an experiment, and hoping for my son, too, survives community college.

-Nan