Menu

Virtual Homeschool Group question/problem

I would like to join the Virtual Homeschool Group Chemistry course that is not live.

I know registration hasn't began yet but I have a question.

I don't have a webcam or microphone. I have headphones.

The information says that if you don't do the live course, you can get live help at specific times if you have a microphone, etc.

Well, would it be worth signing up for the course if I won't be able to participate in the live help? I don't know if there is a certain number of people who can enroll in the non-live class and I don't want to take someones spot if I won't be able to use the course to my full advantage.

Any suggestions or maybe someone who has done a non-live class without the live help?

Thanks.

ETA: Looking back I see it just says speakers or headphones will be needed, but I still wonder if it would be worth it?

Stephanie - I love your signature! :)

We haven't done the classes yet, but from what I've read, usually headphones with a microphone are sufficient. Here's a mono set - only one earphone and a mic - with pretty good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002XGJOG/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and it's only $9. I've been doing some searching on this, and there are others that are stereo, but in the less expensive sets, under $15 or so, they tend to put more pressure on the ears and aren't as comfortable. I figure for $9 it's worth trying, and we can switch if needed.

The courses they offer sound wonderful!

On edit: The reason they recommend the headset instead of speakers is that when you speak, others in the "class" will hear your voice, and also the sound of your voice coming off of the speakers. That gives an echo effect to your voice.

You've done an amazing job putting together your classes, so I hate to throw more info out there, but this thread had me wondering if Illinois provides free virtual classes - and they do - and they are open to home schoolers too! The list of classes available is simply amazing!!!

Here's the link:

http://www.k12.com/courses/high-school-courses/downloadable-high-school-course-information/

:)

I think more and more states are doing this. Utah has a free K12 program also. They even have their own teachers and meet for field trips and get togethers. I think it sounds like a great option.

VHSG is just a supplement for home schoolers. Mrs. Moore, the creator of VHSG, started out with science and math and branched out as she had volunteer teachers.

It really, really bugs me that some of these home school online schools charge a lot of money to the home schooling community. The majority of us are one-income families. I gave up a lot when I decided to home school our kids but it was more than worth it. However, I don't have a pile of cash just laying around. If I can enroll my kiddo in an online class at UNC Chapel Hill for $600-700, why should I pay $550 for XYZ online home school class? Okay I'm done with my rant. Breathe.

:gnorsi:

I am so embarrassed. I was thinking Chicago, not Boston ... they're not even NEAR each other! :svengo:

Well ... one good thing is that means no more confusing options. Some of them you can take through the provider, not the state, but for substantial cost. The cost is similar to a cc course, which would give you college credit.

:gnorsi:

I am so embarrassed. I was thinking Chicago' date=' not Boston ... they're not even NEAR each other! :svengo:

Well ... one good thing is that means no more confusing options. Some of them you can take through the provider, not the state, but for substantial cost. The cost is similar to a cc course, which would give you college credit.[/quote']

Haha, that's okay. Last night I was trying to decide if Tallahassee was a state or a city. I always get it confused with Tennessee. Sometimes I think Tallahassee is in Tennessee. happy0201.gif

:lol:

I have to keep reminding my daughter that Africa is a continent' date=' not a country. We'll be doing world geography for a reason. I'm hoping to learn too. :lol:[/quote']

Haha, honestly, I don't remember learning World Geography.

I'm sure I did in Elementary school. Maybe in 6th grade. I can't really remember.

I should probably brush up, also. :blush: