Menu

TC's Building Great Sentences: Exploring the Writer's Craft

Here's a previous post from 2008: New Teaching Company Course: Building Great Sentences

Ahh, and an even more informative one: TCs Building Great Sentences: Exploring the Writer's Craft & Argumentation...Opinions

And some negative reviews: Building Great Sentences by Teaching Co.?? Anyone use this?

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni

I had it. I watched some of it... not all. I sent it back. Now, my kids are NOT in high school yet, but I did not think it could help us in grammar/logic stage writing.

I didn't think it would be a good fit for rhetoric level either, but like I said, we're not in hs yet.

From what I remember, the teacher starts off with a basic sentence. Then he adds more and more words to make that basic sentence longer, more descriptive, and complicated. It seemed to me that his method was the opposite kind of skill that any student needs to learn for summaries, reports, and argumentative essays.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like students need to pick out the narrative line in non-fiction, outline it, and rewrite from that outline so that the point being made is clearly communicated.

The kind of writing instruction in Great Sentences might be better suited to writing fiction where it would be important to "paint" a picture with words or hold someone's attention in a good plot.

Like I said, I might be totally wrong here. This was just my opinion after watching about half of the program.

I bought the audio version, listened to 4 or 5 of the first lectures, found I couldn't follow it well, and returned it for a refund. I don't think my boys would have made it as far as I did. However, the problem could be that I had the audio version and therefore found my mind wandering as the professor spoke. The beginning was interesting as he was introducing the subject - he had great examples, but as it got more technical my brain shut down.