Menu

How far back on the boards do you read?

I only skim the first page. I barely open things anymore even. With the new format, and how you can see the replies to get a feel for the it, I just don't really care anymore.

That is one good thing about the new format, I don't waste as much time reading through responses of an entire board. Half the fun of that was that it was like this on-going soap opera. Tune in today to see what's happening! Like sands through the hour glass, so are the days of our well trained minds!

I only scroll back a couple of pages. I might hit 'New Posts', to make sure I've seen everything posted today...but not more than that. If I remember a thread that I was interested in, I search for it, but that's it. Not enough time at a sitting to go too far back.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but that's the price of the new format, I think. It's not as easy to navigate as the old one, and I think there are more posts being made here than there were there. (Am I imagining that?)

Are you clearing the threads before you leave each time? That helps sooooo much. I have to go all the way back. Too afraid I'll miss something. I HOPE things slow down once everyone gets used to this new format...but if not I will just HAVE to curtail my time here.

What does it mean to clear the threads?

What does it mean to clear the threads?

On that blue bar across the top that starts from the left User Control Panel...go on across to 'Quick Links'. There is a drop down box and you can click on "Mark forums Read". I do that right before I log off so that the next time I log on I am not including all the threads that were there before that I might not have had time to look at.

On that blue bar across the top that starts from the left User Control Panel...go on across to 'Quick Links'. There is a drop down box and you can click on "Mark forums Read". I do that right before I log off so that the next time I log on I am not including all the threads that were there before that I might not have had time to look at.

If there are new posts to that thread will it pop up? That sounds like a great option that I didn't know about.

I click 'New Posts' when I come to the boards, then I quickly scroll through the pages. That seems to work the best for me, although I wish there was a way to limit it to a single forum.
>>>

Just go into the forum you want to read and then click New Posts in there. That's the only way I have found to use that feature.

If I have the time, and I'm bored, I'll read back several pages. If not, just the first page or two.

I am finding that this new board format takes way more time to keep up than the old format. Sigh. I keep telling myself I need to break this addiction cold-turkey, but haven't built up the willpower yet!

Michelle T

I must have hit subscribe to any thread I post to.. I'm getting like 45 e-mails each morning recaping all the threads. :eek: I need to try that thread read option instead.

Then, when you come to the boards, just go to "New Posts" or to "Subscribed Threads" and you can see, at a glance, where there are new posts on the threads you've participated in. But you won't get an individual email for each. and. every. reply. added to the thread. Maybe that would help?

I only read maybe three pages back. And then I usually only read the first post and not the responses (because I want to be here but not spend countless hours here) . This way I am still getting to be on the board a bit but not being drawn in to every. single. post. and. response. :o

The great thing is that if someone feels like they did not get enough responses, they don't have to repost and whine that they didn't get enough responses, they can just find it, bump it and see if it gets more attention a second go 'round. And if it doesn't... well, then maybe it's just not something people feel drawn to. I guess now it's maybe more important to give our posts more engaging titles so they garner a little more attention. :cool:

I looked at all the threads when I first joined, and now I just hit "new posts" each time I come to the site. I don't read every thread (I didn't on the old boards either), just the ones that catch my interest.

If I'm gone for more than a day or two, as I will be this coming week, there will be way too many new posts to catch up with. When I get back I'll probably do a search for specific topics of interest, but I won't try to wade through a week's worth of posts.