Menu

Three Shakespeare plays coming up---recommendations for movie versions?

We're almost at the end of our Omnibus II studies, and we'll be doing A Midsummer Night's Dream, Henry V, and Richard III. I know what to use for Henry V, of course, for a film version, but could use recommendations for the other two.

Are there any good film version? If so, what year/actors/actresses?

Thanks!

Here are two of Midsummer Night's Dream. Helen Mirren & Peter McEnery are in the first and Kevin Kline, Michelle Pfeiffer, Stanley Tucci, Calista Flockhart, and Rupert Everett are in the second. I like both but you may want to preview for your family's taste.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Shakespeare_Comedies_A_Midsummer_Night_s_Dream/70015615?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=1405113280_5_0

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/A_Midsummer_Night_s_Dream/22006172?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=1405113280_0_0

This Ian McKellen version is wonderful but not traditional.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Richard_III/26587474?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=597173144_0_0

Are there any good film version? If so, what year/actors/actresses?

DH and I love Kenneth Branagh's "Henry V," though the battle scene is quite gory. We also liked Ian McKellan's "Richard III," though it's set in a WWII-like setting -- nothing like that famous line "a horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse" when Richard's jeep won't go LOL.

Karen

I normally like Ian McKellen, but it sounded like the staging of his Richard III was unusual. I may have to go for the Olivier boxed set; besides, it would be nice to compare his Henry V to Branagh's. If I get the boxed set, I'll be getting two out of the three versions.

I also normally really like Judy Dench, because she's such a fine actress, but I too would have problems with extended frontal nudity! Really---is that necessary? I may try to rent the Pfeiffer version, mostly because I think our local video store may carry it, but I may actually try to purchase the Midsummer Night's Dream version with Helen Mirren.

It sounds like your husband bought you a wonderful birthday gift in getting you that entire BBC Shakespeare collection! What a great idea! My birthday's not for a while, though. :rolleyes:

Thank you for such a complete reply, plus the links are wonderful! I'll look everything up---this is a tremendous help!

Lots of good suggestions here. But wanted to add that there is a silent version of Richard III. It is really funny to watch.

Our votes go to: BBC Richard III, Branagh's Henry V and the Michelle Pfeiffer version of A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Since we've seen Richard III multiple times, we're watching Al Pacino's Looking for Richard. And of course, the girls are in A Midsummer Night's Dream this year so they're really experiencing that.

I will take your suggestion of Ebay for the Olivier set, too, although I might check on Amazon. Sometimes they sell used versions for decent prices. For me, the sets wouldn't have to be new. I would just like to wrap up these three Shakespeare plays with a film version of each. Also, I may check the theater schedule in St. Louis. Every year they have "Shakespeare in the Park" and sometimes those productions are supposed to be quite good.

Thanks again---and a blessed Sabbath to you!

Jane, I'll check out the Branagh version of Richard III. I only looked the titles up on Amazon and these were the ones I came up with. It looks like it's an audiobook, which is interesting. I hadn't thought of that---I only searched under DVD's!

Eliana, thank you for the thorough review! It sounds like it may not be the best choice to watch. If I remember correctly, you also said there was one with Helen Mirren in it that you thought was good. I may try to buy one from Amazon. I did borrow the movie from our local Blockbuster (the Midsummer Night's Dream with Michele Pfeiffer) but haven't watched it yet. I may try to pre-watch a few scenes myself. Sometimes if there are just a couple of isolated scenes that display too much nudity and s*x, I have the girls close their eyes. But, that might be harder if it's displayed throughout the whole movie. I'm glad I didn't go ahead and buy anything yet!

Thanks again for pre-watching this for me! Thanks, Jane, for the link to the other production of Richard III!