Menu

New Homeschooler for 9th Grade

I home school my four kiddos and taught high school. My sister is now going to home school her 9th grader. She wants me to help her customize curriculum for her. I follow the Classical/Charlotte Mason method. I was thinking about Apologia for Science and MUS for Math. Not sure on Logic or Latin (she has had two years of Latin). Not sure on vocab, history, literature, etc. I would LOVE all of your wisdom and suggestions.

The book is written conversational style and is designed to be used independently. Their are books to read that go along with the History. The student is also assigned on paper a week to write, about 2-3 pages long. The author gives the student a chance to pick from 3 suggestions. It doesn't do analysis, teach writing or vocabulary. Some people pick out a couple of books and use a progenty press guide with it to make up for the vocab and analysis. According to the Author you can count this program for History, English and Bible. I didn't count it for Bible, didn't think there was enough content to count it for that. They have a World History and an American History. They also have a semester course for American Government and have just come out with a semester course on Economics

Great! I will look at it! It's amazing how different I look at curriculum now that I am home schooling vs. public schooling and even head of school at a private school. I wanted the best for my students, don't get me wrong, but what is best for the group isn't best for my kids or my niece...

I started homeschooling ds in 9th grade. We did have to make a few adjustments after a week or two. (It became obvious that the biology text was too hard and he didn't read anywhere near enough to do history ala WTM.)

The curriculum really has to be based on what she has already mastered and where your friend wants her to finish. What are her goals? Does she know what college she wants to go to, what she wants to major in, what she wants to be when she grows up? Is she a "math/science" person or a language arts person? Does she read well and quickly? How's her writing? Does your friend want to spend a lot of one on one time or must it be a self-directed program? How many other demands on her time does she have? Is your friend comfortable teaching her higher math? etc. etc.

Her private school closed. There is not another classical school in the area and her parents do not want to send her to a generic private school. The public schools around her are terrible. They live in our neighborhood and we have sons that are the same age.

I began homeschooling my dgd in 8th grade and she will be in 10th this year. I am a former teacher and principal for all levels in a private Christian school so I have a mixed approach. At school we had modified classical education approach. I taught Latin so my dgd has chosen to study Latin. We are doing Apolgia Science (Chemistry this year in 10th), Saxon Advanced Math, British Literature (BJU)/IEW Composition, World History (BJU), Latin II, Bible and SAT Prep.

In 9th Grade we did Saxon Algebra II plus Teaching Company Algebra II - Murrray Seagal, BJU American History (my modified plan with many original documents and mini study of Constitution), American Literature (mostly trade books, short stories and poetry by American authors/Composition), Latin I, Apologia Biology, Bible and PE.

I had many of the textbooks left from my teaching days and we made use of them. My granddaughter likes the flow of BJU History so we will continue with BJU World History this year. She has been in Saxon math since K-4 and doing well and I have loved teaching it my many years of teaching so we have continued with it. Advanced Math is not my forte so we have the Art Lee DVDs to help us along this year. We also are using the Teaching Company World History tapes to go with our BJU World History and Teaching Company Chemistry to go with our Apologia Chemistry. I still have classroom teacher ideas that guide me but I do like many of the homeschool curricula I have heard and read about. Notgrass would be my second choice if I hadn't had the BJU History on hand. I mix it up and I am an original documents teacher, I don't like revised history or most postmodern ideas about history. My second oldest daughter homeschools 3 of her 4 (ages 4-9) and I help her out as much as possible and she is more eclectic than I am in her teaching and less structured. I wish I could be more like that but I feel so curriculum driven and conscious of the fact my granddaughter has to compete with the ps students to get into college and must do better than them since she is a homeschooler. I hope you do much better at that than me but it's hard to leave the rigors of traditional school behind when teaching at home. PM me if you have more specific questions that I might help your sister with.

Carolyn

Your questions got my wheels turning...especially this early in the morning! It's not that I don't know what to do, it's that I don't know what to do for her. This gives me some pencil to paper.

Thank you for the post and the great questions. Have a great day!!!

Worldly Wise would be my suggestion for vocabulary, but that's only because it's what we've been using. I can't really compare it to others. I've also read good things about Vocabulary for the College Bound. We'll be doing that after we finish the WW series. They also have Vocabulary for the High School Bound - or something like that - but I'm not sure for what grades that is recommended.

We really enjoy Apologia science - we just completed our first year with physical science.

We use Saxon for math and would recommend that as well. But MUS may be just fine too. I would suggest that she give some placement tests - like Saxon or others - to make sure he'll be on the right level in math.