Menu

Curriculum with dvd's/videos etc??

I am going into the 10th grade this year and my mom wants to send me to a private christian school this coming school year, but I don't want to go. I know it sounds selfish, but I know my mom can teach me these three subjects if we had good curriculum that actually does the teaching, and helps correct along the way.

My mom has trouble teaching me:

math

science

english

:iagree: that these can be difficult subjects to teach, but if we had curriculum that came with dvd's/cd's or even books with step by step instructions, then we could do it!

The PSAT is coming up soon and I have awesome links that Martha in NM gave me! I have almost all I need to know from her and I really appreciate the advice she gave me!!

Here is what I am thinking of doing so far:

math: Lial

science: apologia

english::confused:

Now I am trying to see if I can get my parents to call the CS and see if they will allow me to take a few classes there, which would be wonderful! I am a very hardworker and will see to it that all schoolwork will get done on time without much fuss! The reason why I don't want to go to the CS is because I hate sitting at a desk all the time, being rushed, and not relaxing. That was my experience in school, and I know college will be like that, but I am not there yet!! Plus we will be moving soon so I don't see the point in going to that school, moving, and then starting all over again.:tongue_smilie:

But I digress, if anyone has any suggestions for curriculum with thorough step by step instructions (Lials) or dvd's(BJU) and isn't over the top expensive please let me know!

P.S. I don't like TT, or SOS math, science and english the rest of the subjects I am ok with, and my mom said no way to chalkdust, I don't know what else to use!?

Math: geometry

Science: Physics/Chemistry

English 10 or English 2

Edited by LuvingLife
add info

You might look at Excellence in Literature for English.

It is independent for the student or can be done with lots of oversight. It has good literature to study and teaches how to study - with lots of internet links. It has interesting writing assignments and it tells how to grade it all.

It has nine four week units - you can do them all or pick and choose. You can buy the books or get them from the library.

I have loved the setup of the program.

I would think the BJU DVDs or online courses would be cheaper than a private school. The cost for BJU online for all of math, science, and English (plus a foreign language, history, and Bible, if interested) would be $849. The DVD set would run $999. Of course, there is the hidden expense of making copies and buying lab supplies...Oh, your mom would still have to grade the English papers, but the teacher provides a rubric.

Martha in GA

I would think the BJU DVDs or online courses would be cheaper than a private school. The cost for BJU online for all of math, science, and English (plus a foreign language, history, and Bible, if interested) would be $849. The DVD set would run $999. Of course, there is the hidden expense of making copies and buying lab supplies...Oh, your mom would still have to grade the English papers, but the teacher provides a rubric.

Martha in GA

Have you used any of these? Is the geometry good? Along with upper math? I like that at least the english provides some sort of rubric to follow by! :D

Any other suggestions??:bigear:

I have been very pleased with the sciences -- my ds has used Chemistry and Physics. My dd will use Biology next year. I'm not sure about the math -- my dd started out with Geometry last year, but she did not like the teacher because she thought the teacher was a little disorganized. HOWEVER, I have heard many people rave about how good the teacher is, so you might like her just fine. My dd enjoyed Spanish I and will take Spanish II this coming year. The only problem with the Spanish was a lot of wasted "class time." My ds enjoyed world history. He didn't enjoy Grammar and Comp. 11 very much -- but I don't think anything could make him like that course. HTH

Martha

Here is what I am thinking of doing so far:

math: Lial

science: apologia

english::confused:

For English, one option might be Hewitt Homeschooling's Lightning Literature and Composition. We've used Lightning Lit independently, but you can actually sign up for an English class through them and get a syllabus and teacher support. They even have an Honors level. I believe a single course through Hewitt is $175. And you can also have your Lightning Lit papers graded by them for an additional $75. Here's a link to the page describing their English classes:

http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/serv/hsengex.asp

Hewitt also has math, but I'm not at all familiar with the texts they use, so have no idea if they're good or not. I don't believe they have video instruction. For math, have you looked at Videotext? That's what we've used. Depending on where you are in your math classes, it may or may not line up well for you. Their Algebra is a 2-year complete course and so is their Geometry, which goes all the way through Trig. But... the video instruction is very thorough and the solution manuals have complete solutions to every problem. They also have good phone support. So it's a relatively easy curriculum for the parent to manage.

Apologia is great choice for science. It's designed to be done independently by the student (it assumes the parent has little to no knowledge of the subject.) All your mom would need to do is grade the tests, and the solutions are very complete--right down to the number of points to give for each question/problem on the test. Apologia's support is also very good. I once emailed them with a question about something my ds just could not figure out, and I received a very helpful response within just a few hours.

Hope this helps! I'm sure taking some classes at the private school would also be a good option.

Why did your mom say no way to Chalkdust? Price?

I see you're going into algebra 2. (am I right?) You could also look at math without borders for this year.

Yes it is the price that is keeping us from buying it....

What is math without borders??

I have been very pleased with the sciences -- my ds has used Chemistry and Physics. My dd will use Biology next year. I'm not sure about the math -- my dd started out with Geometry last year, but she did not like the teacher because she thought the teacher was a little disorganized. HOWEVER, I have heard many people rave about how good the teacher is, so you might like her just fine. My dd enjoyed Spanish I and will take Spanish II this coming year. The only problem with the Spanish was a lot of wasted "class time." My ds enjoyed world history. He didn't enjoy Grammar and Comp. 11 very much -- but I don't think anything could make him like that course. HTH

Martha

Well at least the spanish and and english are good, I think I am going to use apologia for physics, and maybe BJU for chemistry, it's up to my mom though. I have heard that the new edition of BJU for geometry is so much better than the 2nd edition, so I may use that and Lial's for algebra 1 and 2, then do their pre-calculus as well!

Have you tried BJU's algebra programs?

For English, one option might be Hewitt Homeschooling's Lightning Literature and Composition. We've used Lightning Lit independently, but you can actually sign up for an English class through them and get a syllabus and teacher support. They even have an Honors level. I believe a single course through Hewitt is $175. And you can also have your Lightning Lit papers graded by them for an additional $75. Here's a link to the page describing their English classes:

http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/serv/hsengex.asp

Hewitt also has math, but I'm not at all familiar with the texts they use, so have no idea if they're good or not. I don't believe they have video instruction. For math, have you looked at Videotext? That's what we've used. Depending on where you are in your math classes, it may or may not line up well for you. Their Algebra is a 2-year complete course and so is their Geometry, which goes all the way through Trig. But... the video instruction is very thorough and the solution manuals have complete solutions to every problem. They also have good phone support. So it's a relatively easy curriculum for the parent to manage.

Apologia is great choice for science. It's designed to be done independently by the student (it assumes the parent has little to no knowledge of the subject.) All your mom would need to do is grade the tests, and the solutions are very complete--right down to the number of points to give for each question/problem on the test. Apologia's support is also very good. I once emailed them with a question about something my ds just could not figure out, and I received a very helpful response within just a few hours.

Hope this helps! I'm sure taking some classes at the private school would also be a good option.

Thanks! I like Apologia and will probably end up using it for science if I don't take the class at the cs, thank you for all of the suggestions and support everyone has given me!!!!:001_smile:

What is math without borders??

Well at least the spanish and and english are good, I think I am going to use apologia for physics, and maybe BJU for chemistry, it's up to my mom though. I have heard that the new edition of BJU for geometry is so much better than the 2nd edition, so I may use that and Lial's for algebra 1 and 2, then do their pre-calculus as well!

One of my dc used BJU for algebra 1 last year. It was excellent. She has requested to use BJU for math again this coming year. We have used their dvds for math, science, some histories, and Spanish. I've found that going with more than 4 dvd classes is too time consuming, so we have limited it to those.

Thanks! I like Apologia and will probably end up using it for science if I don't take the class at the cs, thank you for all of the suggestions and support everyone has given me!!!!:001_smile:

:001_smile:

Hi,

I really like BJU's Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2. The online option is $100 cheaper ($299). The Precalculus is ok..... if dd cannot do math on her own for precalc w/Lial's, I will just use BJU (better than nothing). Dd is doing Algebra 2 this upcoming year (and ds also did Algebra 2 and really liked it). Dd did Algebra 1 and Geometry, they were very good.

For chemistry, we are using Apologia Chemistry, and doing an online class here:

virtualhomeschoolgroup.com

It is FREE!!! (and wonderful, dd did biology last year).

I found BJU online/dvd science overwhelming. It required a lot of my time, your mom will not like that. VHSG is much better. All I had to do was help dd in the beginning to come up with a schedule, after that, she did it all by herself. Be sure to keep up with it, and do the experiments and tests on schedule so you can stay "live" and get live help, dd had a hard time at first (had to catch up on weekends), but after a few modules, she clicked into it, and it was fine. Again, it is best if you stay caught up, then you can get personalized help when you need it (it is awkward to ask a question in the class about a module that isn't being talked about).

Hope this helps! With only one online math class at $299, maybe your mom will like that!

Hi,

I really like BJU's Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2. The online option is $100 cheaper ($299). The Precalculus is ok..... if dd cannot do math on her own for precalc w/Lial's, I will just use BJU (better than nothing). Dd is doing Algebra 2 this upcoming year (and ds also did Algebra 2 and really liked it). Dd did Algebra 1 and Geometry, they were very good.

For chemistry, we are using Apologia Chemistry, and doing an online class here:

virtualhomeschoolgroup.com

It is FREE!!! (and wonderful, dd did biology last year).

I found BJU online/dvd science overwhelming. It required a lot of my time, your mom will not like that. VHSG is much better. All I had to do was help dd in the beginning to come up with a schedule, after that, she did it all by herself. Be sure to keep up with it, and do the experiments and tests on schedule so you can stay "live" and get live help, dd had a hard time at first (had to catch up on weekends), but after a few modules, she clicked into it, and it was fine. Again, it is best if you stay caught up, then you can get personalized help when you need it (it is awkward to ask a question in the class about a module that isn't being talked about).

Hope this helps! With only one online math class at $299, maybe your mom will like that!

Oh my gosh, I seriously have to show my mom all of this soon!! I want to try BJU for geometry, Apologia for Chemistry and idk for english still, hopefully I will find out soon!!!!:lol: