Menu

Anybody use First Form Latin?

Rhonda in TX

Last year I had a 7th and 6th grader working through this but they were each on different chapters.

I scheduled 30 minutes for Latin lesson daily and 15 minutes later in the day for oral drill. The lesson period was in the morning and the drill was in the afternoon. It was also every day but Friday.

We did one lesson per week.

Monday I introduced the new material and student did worksheet #1

Tuesday student did worksheets #2 & #3 independently but I was available for questions.

Wed. student did worksheet #4 independently

Thurs. - student did worksheet #5 independently and Oral Drill from the student text if there was one.

Fri. - Quiz

Some weeks there are only 4 worksheets and some there are 6. I just spread the work out however it fit best.

With 2 students at different levels I fit it into MY Monday to have two 30 min. Latin periods to work with each son at his level. But I personally had no 30 minute Latin period Tues. - Fri., although my sons, of course did. The oral drill from the textbook I would do with them on Thursdays (if there was one) when it was time to check work. Checking work is a separate 30 minute slot in the afternoon. So checking the Latin workbook would be here.

The 15 minute drill was with both sons together. We did both the forms and the vocabulary as laid out in the program. I did not do the grammar drill. Since they are at different levels (about 4 chapters apart) I drilled up to the point of my oldest son. It was a bit of a preview for my younger son which ended up being quite helpful for him.

I started out with Lingua Angelica but ended up dropping it. I mention that because it is loosely scheduled at the bottom of the workbook pages but it is just a supplement. There is no actual WORK for Lingua Angelica in the First Form workbooks. I'll try adding it in again this year. Not sure where/when etc. It may have to be enough just listening to the songs for right now.

HTH

We're using it and we use it pretty cut-n-dry.

Monday, DS12 reads the lesson and does a page in workbook. The rest of the week, he does 1-2 pages in workbook a day (whatever amount needs to get done to finish a lesson in a week). I do a weekly oral quiz on new and past vocab. He listens to the audio CD at least once a week as well.

Honestly, we started out by me "teaching" the lesson to him, via the TM's, but umm, we have kind of dropped that and he just reads it and moves on. He's doing really well and retaining. Actually, he's kind of surpassed me now, and I find it hard to keep up...thankful for the answer key :)!!

Had I done it over again, I probably would have bought a workbook for myself, and worked through the program too, just to keep up with DS.

We're using it and we use it pretty cut-n-dry.

Monday, DS12 reads the lesson and does a page in workbook. The rest of the week, he does 1-2 pages in workbook a day (whatever amount needs to get done to finish a lesson in a week). I do a weekly oral quiz on new and past vocab. He listens to the audio CD at least once a week as well.

Honestly, we started out by me "teaching" the lesson to him, via the TM's, but umm, we have kind of dropped that and he just reads it and moves on. He's doing really well and retaining. Actually, he's kind of surpassed me now, and I find it hard to keep up...thankful for the answer key :)!!

Had I done it over again, I probably would have bought a workbook for myself, and worked through the program too, just to keep up with DS.

:iagree:

I gave up on the teaching part a couple of weeks in. Eventually, I did buy a second workbook for myself, but just didn't have the quiet-brain time to devote to it.

Ds became responsible for his own pace (scheduled M, W, F) and finished the book about 3/4 into the year. I told him to review occasionally, and he earned a B on the final exam at the end of the year. Oh, and we didn't have the DVD.

Once you familiarize yourself with the layout, it really is a very simple routine. We're waiting on SFL (beta... love that savings!) right now, and ds is getting antsy. He loves it!

I am strongly considering First Form for a Latin co op class I am teaching. I have used LfC and Latina Christiana and sat in while an excellent teacher taught the Henle Year One book. I am a novice teacher and will teach a class of 5th thru 10th graders. (Prob mostly 5-7th graders.)

So I am wondering, does First Form come in Classical and Ecclesiastical pronunciations? I couldn't seem to find that info on the website?

Anyone have tips for a classroom of beginners? And a beginner teacher?

Thanks

Lisaj

My ds did it completely on his own in 7th grade but he had already completed LC I and II, and Latin is his favorite subject. I'm sure next year when my 2nd ds does it, I will follow the plans in the TM. He doesn't really like Latin, and I am letting him skip it for his first year back home.