Menu

Those of you who bought WordMP3's VP Omnibus CDs......

If you have listened to at least some of them, do you feel the CDs give you adequate preparation to teach VP Omnibus?

I am in a self-debate as to whether to just order and listen to the CDs OR to attend this summer's Omnibus-in-a-Week in Pennsylvania. The CDs are certainly cheaper, but the adage "you get what you pay for" might be true in this case.

Thanks for any direction you give!

If you have listened to at least some of them, do you feel the CDs give you adequate preparation to teach VP Omnibus?

I am in a self-debate as to whether to just order and listen to the CDs OR to attend this summer's Omnibus-in-a-Week in Pennsylvania. The CDs are certainly cheaper, but the adage "you get what you pay for" might be true in this case.

Thanks for any direction you give!

Janie,

I've been listening to the Omnibus mp3s. I do think they are providing very good instruction. Some are general and explain the layout and overall philosophy of the program. Some are more detailed "how to teach" lectures and some are book specific: theme and issues in a work.

I don't know anything about the Omnibus in a week program, but the mp3s are a great value for the training I've received. It's worth a shot.

to only a couple of the Omnibus lectures within the past two months. (I've developed a problem in my left foot, so I can't take my morning walks lately, which is usually when I bring my iPod and listen to the lectures!) Anyway, I think buying at least the Omnibus MP3's is worthwhile.

It's hard to compare these to the sessions. Sometimes actually being there, being part of the give-and-take of a lecture format, being able to ask questions of the instructors and network with other homeschooling mothers and teachers, is beneficial, too. If I were to attend, I'd probably still end up buying the MP3's, as well! :D

Overall, I would say that at least getting the lectures on MP3 is worthwhile, and if money permits and you're able to attend the conference as well, then you have a double blessing!

Because my friend did O-i-a-w last summer, I know that they had opportunities to practice teach in the class and get feedback, and they had a lot of interaction with their teacher (Bruce Etter).

That said, I went to teacher training at Veritas the summer before they offered the in-a-week class. I went to every workshop they offered on Omnibus (they don't offer as many any more since they have the in-a-week courses) and bought the MP3's. That was my preparation to teach Omnibus to my children, and I feel it was adequate. But I really wish I'd had the opportunity to do the in-a-week class. I'd imagine that would be even more beneficial for a classroom teacher.

(And I think you should go so I can meet you! :-) )