Menu

Anyone else's kid surprised by a lower than expected AP score...

in Eng. Lit???? Am wondering if ds just didn't know the material as well as he thought he did, or was this a tough exam??? He thought he had gotten at least a 3, if not a 4.....(he has four 4s and two 3's so far...plus now this unexpected 2).

Just thought I'd ask.

I'm so sorry! He worked hard, and that's a disappointment.

We are still waiting for dd's score. She thought the 2010 Eng Lit test was comparable to the Eng Lang one she took last year. She was able to use her favorite book for the "choose your source" essay (Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis), and she said she thought it worked. Now I'm really biting my nails.

The biggest beef I have with APs is that you get so little feedback. It would be nice to get the essays so we could go over them and see what still needs work. All you get is a number.

Can he try again next year? If not, he should be pre-prepared for college lit.

GardenMom

Well, if the Eng Lit is anything like the Eng Lang test it is mind numbingly difficult. My favorite subject to teach is English, and I think I'm pretty thoroughly self taught, but I could hardly decipher the passage and questions in the MC of a copy of an old Eng Lang AP test I have. The test looks so difficult to me, that I truly think a college english course would be much easier to take and pass.

I think I remember the AP English Lit test is being redone this yr. Maybe they're having trouble with pass rates.

Well, if the Eng Lit is anything like the Eng Lang test it is mind numbingly difficult.

Oh no! You're scaring me! I have two signed up for AP Eng Lang and Comp. Ds is in 10th and a bright boy, loves to write and read, but still. I don't want to disadvantage him if he's not ready. Do others generally think think this a hard examine? :bigear:

Thanks,

Lisa

I would recommend ordering the past test from collegeboard, at least you'd have it as a mock trial for the kids.

There are also some sample multiple choice questions in the Collegeboard's course description, although I found those easier than the past test I have.

You can also find several yrs of actual essay (free response) questions on the CB website. That should help you judge the difficulty level of the test. What I consider difficult might not be too hard for your kids.

My niece was public schooled but took the English and 11 other AP tests..she made all 4/5's but only made a 2 on English, she said many in her school do not take it because they were told less than 20% make 4's and 5's..seems skewed to me.

Tara

Seventeen years ago I taught in a high school in Illinois, and the kids there that took AP English must have spent at least a good two hours a day on that class. It seemed like they always had something to do for that one, like really deep, involved assignments. The test results were usually very good, though, so it must have been worth it. I'm just planning to have dd take it in college.