Menu

Can you handle one more Spanish question?

My twins will be in 8th grade this year, doing some high school level work. We have done Spanish sporadically in the lower grades using LaClase Divertida and a spanish class at the Enrichment School they go to one day a week. Mostly vocabulary-only type stuff.

Last year I wanted them to get more exposure to Spanish so we started SOS Secondary Spanish. They just did it for exposure only. They did very well with the lessons. They took minimal notes and if they didn't do well on a lesson, I would erase the grade and let them re-do it. They got about 3/4 the way done with it.

On to present day and thinking about High School Spanish. I am torn on what to do. Option 1 is The Enrichment School they go to has a Spanish I class this year with a spanish speaking teacher. I am thrilled with this but also concerned because I presently dont know the text she will be using and exactly what she plans on teaching. And what if she is not around for Spanish 2 and I have to switch gears...

Option 2 would be BJU Spanish with DVD's. I have heard good things about the program and I know I can easily go on to Spanish 2 and 3 with the program.

Option 3 would be to re-start SOS secondary Spanish and finish out the program and move on to Spanish I.

At this time, our high school Spanish classes is to "fill the requirement". They both are good stundents and will work hard for whatever program I choose. I don't believe either one of them have an interest to be fluent or continue past the graduation requirements.

What would you do? I love the idea of a live teacher but it is the most expensive option. Is it worth the expense and the "gamble" she may not be there for other levels? My "gut" is telling me to go with the live teacher but continue with something like SOS at home too (because that is just how I roll...bad habit I got into) but I KNOW I can't do that for high school level work because there isn't enough hours in the day (or money) at the high school level!!

Please hold my hand and tell me what you would do.

Thanks,

Grace

My twins will be in 8th grade this year, doing some high school level work. We have done Spanish sporadically in the lower grades using LaClase Divertida and a spanish class at the Enrichment School they go to one day a week. Mostly vocabulary-only type stuff.

Last year I wanted them to get more exposure to Spanish so we started SOS Secondary Spanish. They just did it for exposure only. They did very well with the lessons. They took minimal notes and if they didn't do well on a lesson, I would erase the grade and let them re-do it. They got about 3/4 the way done with it.

On to present day and thinking about High School Spanish. I am torn on what to do. Option 1 is The Enrichment School they go to has a Spanish I class this year with a Spanish speaking teacher. I am thrilled with this but also concerned because I presently dont know the text she will be using and exactly what she plans on teaching. And what if she is not around for Spanish 2 and I have to switch gears...

Option 2 would be BJU Spanish with DVD's. I have heard good things about the program and I know I can easily go on to Spanish 2 and 3 with the program.

Option 3 would be to re-start SOS secondary Spanish and finish out the program and move on to Spanish I.

At this time, our high school Spanish classes is to "fill the requirement". They both are good stundents and will work hard for whatever program I choose. I don't believe either one of them have an interest to be fluent or continue past the graduation requirements.

What would you do? I love the idea of a live teacher but it is the most expensive option. Is it worth the expense and the "gamble" she may not be there for other levels? My "gut" is telling me to go with the live teacher but continue with something like SOS at home too (because that is just how I roll...bad habit I got into) but I KNOW I can't do that for high school level work because there isn't enough hours in the day (or money) at the high school level!!

Please hold my hand and tell me what you would do.

Thanks,

Grace

Since they did fine with SOS Secondary, I'd get SOS Spanish I and get them going in it. The experience they had with Secondary Spanish should prepare them for Spanish I, even if they did not finish it (I'd still give them credit for Spanish 1 on the transcript for it). If you do Secondary Spanish, Spanish I, and Spanish II, plus read a short book (or do some reading of children's stories, or read Harry Potter in Spanish or a small book of the Bible...), do a couple of papers on Spanish culture (doesn't have to be in Spanish only), and try to get them into some real-use experiences (sit in on the other lady's classes or have her chat with them or find someone to visit with them in the language a few times), I'd give the children 4 years of credit. That will look good on any transcript.

I do SOS open notebook--if they've copied it into their notebooks, they can use it on tests and quizzes. I also set the setting so that they can go back and rework the questions as often as then need in the lessons so that if there is a quirk in the program, they can figure it out--that and give them the password so they can see what they are doing wrong (sometimes it is their mistake; sometimes, a programing mistake). My dd did Span I and a few chapters of Span II and tested out of 3 years of high school Spanish for college. She decided to take 3rd semester Spanish in college, and she did not get into any new grammar at all, so the test-out level was appropriate. I majored in Spanish as an undergrad, and I think that doing what I outlined above would easily allow them to test out of college classes.

Jean

Option 1 is The Enrichment School they go to has a Spanish I class this year with a spanish speaking teacher. I am thrilled with this but also concerned because I presently dont know the text she will be using and exactly what she plans on teaching. And what if she is not around for Spanish 2 and I have to switch gears...

Dd 13 finished Spanish 1 through our local school district (as a 7th grader). She took the class 3 days/week. Next year she will take Spanish 2 with the 10th graders.

It is a great fit.

Thanks Jean and Beth for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

I am going to need to make a decision soon if I want to get them enrolled in the school class. I am so confused!! I am sure I am over-thinking it and new high school fears and doubts are getting to me!

Thanks again,

Grace

Foreign language study requires hours of conversation with a native speaker, imho. We could not offer that at home, obviously. My dd's Spanish teacher was a wonderful woman who has ignited a love for Spanish in my dd. Although the youngest student in the class, she earned the highest grade (A:001_smile:).

A strong foundation in Latin has helped both my older dc in their Spanish studies.

Ideally I would like a 5x/week class somewhere. Still looking.....

Edited by Beth in SW WA
more info