Menu

(Cross-post) Anyone have experience with BJU Life Science Homestat or DVDs?

What would be the benefits of one over the other? I'm in the initial stages of looking into this for my youngest dd in the fall. We've never done any online or dvd classes (Oh, I take that back. We did Latina Christiana ages ago. Not such a good experience though.)

Is there a "cheaper" way of doing either Homestat or DVDs? Anywhere you can get the equipment or DVDs used?

Thanks!

Amy

Amy:

We haven't used the Life Science course yet, but this year we did use the 8th grade Earth/Space course with the DVD's. I went the DVD route vs. the satellite route because it was easier for me. All the DVD's came to me at the beginning of the year, whereas with the SAT you have to get the equipment, record the programs, and pay a monthly subscription fee. You can go the Sat route and then select a DLA/DLN option where the courses are recorded for you, but that is additional money.

You won't find the DVD's at a used price, because you are just leasing them from BJ and at the end of the year you have to return the DVD's. You also shouldn't be able to find copies of recorded classes off the SAT, because you are only suppose to keep the recordings you have made as long as you continue to pay the monthly subscription fee to BJ.

The 8th grade course was definitely worth the money. I started out the year without the DVD's and a couple of weeks into the course knew that I wasn't going to be able to do an adequate job teaching the course. I ordered the DVD's and my dd has done an excellent job with the course. This coming year she will do the Biology course. I was going to have my other two do the 7th grade Life Science with DVD's, but I really want them to use the new 3rd edition book vs. the 2nd edition book. The DVD and SAT course for Life Science are both using the 2nd edition book.

Yvonne in NE

Amy:

The 3rd edition will be on the SAT and DVD, but it just hasn't made it there yet. I don't know the differences between the 2nd and the 3rd. The biggest reason I hesitate to use the 2nd edition is that the copyright date is 1999. From 1999 to 2007 is a big jump especially in a science textbook. I was also at a convention this past weekend and the salesperson at the BJ table told me that she wouldn't use an old textbook if the copyright date was more three years different than the new book.

I have a copy of the old text and have ordered a copy of the new and will compare the two and then make a final decision. I would like to know how confusing it would be to use the new edition with the DVD's. The same person teaches the 8th grade course and she is a great teacher. I would just like to have her lectures!

Yvonne in NE

We haven't used the Life Science course yet, but this year we did use the 8th grade Earth/Space course with the DVD's.

I am planning on the S&E course for my 8th grade DD, but she hasn't had much formal science and I was wondering if this course might be too rigorous for her and if she would do better in the Life Science and then onto S&E in 9th. We are using homesat so that should help. Thanks!

Jean:

I don't think that the lack of a formal science program in the past is a reason not to do E&S, but it does require effort on the part of the child. We do science 4-5 days a week and there is usually an assignment. My dd has done most of the experiments, but it makes such a big difference when she can watch someone else do them first and know what to expect.

However there isn't anything wrong with having her do Life Science this year and E&S next year. A friend's daughter is using the E&S as her freshman science course and it can definitely be used as a freshman course. If she hasn't done alot of science in the past, you could always pick the course this year that you think would interest her the most.

I going to have my soon-to-be 6th and 7th grader do Life Science because my oldest will be doing Biology and there should be enough overlap that they can learn from each other.

Yvonne in NE

A friend's daughter is using the E&S as her freshman science course and it can definitely be used as a freshman course.

I'm glad to see you say this. I've read it from others on this board, but one more positive opinion never hurts. :D

My boys have used Singapore's Interactive Science 1 this year (7th grade) and they want to continue with Interactive 2 for 8th grade.

When I look at the Table of Contents of typical 9th grade Physical Science texts, it looks as though all the topics are covered in Singapore's 7th and 8th grade books.

So I'm considering BJU's Earth and Space for 9th grade for them, and waiting for BJU Biology in 10th grade.

If anyone would like to tell me this sounds like a good idea, I would appreciate it. :D

[Oh, and BTW for anyone who did Singapore Interactive 1 this year: I sat down the other night and compared the TOCs for the new Singapore 7th and 8th grade books with the old ones. The topics from Interactive 1 don't carry over exactly to the new A book, and the same is true for Interactive 2 and the new B book. Some of the Interactive 1 topics are in the B book, and vice versa for the Interactive 2 topics and the A book. So you really need to follow the old Interactive 1 with the old Interactive 2; otherwise, you'll skip a few topics and do double duty on others.]

Amy,

Right now new customers can get the HomeSat dish for $50 (I don't remember how much it is normally -- $200-something or $300-something, I think), a 30% discount on all purchases with a $100 minimum order, and free shipping.

It's not a lot, but it's better than paying full price!

(If you're only doing one class, HomeSat probably wouldn't be worth it, as the subscription price is going up to $49.99/month in the fall. DVDs would be your better option, but I don't know of any way to get a discounted price on those.)

For the record, I haven't used Life Science. My only experience is with Biology, but we could not be any more pleased. It has been a fantastic course!