Menu

Singapore Math questions--

I have not been able to look at many examples of Singapore Math. Please help, those of you familiar with it.

1) Are there textbooks? If so, are they like US textbooks, wordy, ponderous things cluttered with paragraphs of explanation prior to the actual problem?

2) From what little I HAVE seen it appears that the text is very, very simple...one line instructions with absolutely no extraneous information or tangential references about previous chapters, etc.

3) Is the format--whether textbooks and/or workbooks--more like a step-by-step process, or is it a long spiel about how to do the problem, and then the problem is finally shown?

4) Can one utilize the workbooks as a learning tool and refer to the textbook as a reference, if needed?

After a lengthy and tortuous talk with my daughter (17) last night she said she prefers to see ONLY problems, and the more English language mixed in with the math "codes" (she sees math as a coded language) the more confusing it is, because she has to flip back and for the between languages. Does anyone understand this?

What has your dd finished? Singapore should be easy to sell if it doesn't work for you. We don't write in our texts, and I think they're relatively cheap, as far as texts are concerned.

We love Singapore here. I'm looking at Algebra as I answer your questions. Older dd starts Geometry next week.

1) The texts are not wordy. There are some explanations, but they aren't lengthy.

2) True.

3) Step by step.

4) I'm not sure I would use Singapore as a reference book. I can't pinpoint the reason(s) though.

I understand "math language" as that is exactly how one of my dd's and I are. I think that's why we like Singapore so much. :001_smile:

What has your dd finished?

4) I'm not sure I would use Singapore as a reference book. I can't pinpoint the reason(s) though.

My daughter has finished the first part of Algebra 2, going up to Matrices in an online program called Plato. However the last time D did any algebra was in Dec 09, she became very ill for months and months...she needs to get back into it. Personally, I would back up to Pre-Algebra or even earlier, when algabraeic language starts in the word problems. What level is that?

Can I PM you for more info on the sequence? I've gone to the site but I am befuddled about exactly what I need and what I don't.

4) Okay, when I say reference book, I guess I am saying, what do you refer to when you don't understand a concept? Just the workbook itself?

My D has 3 months to get her math scores up for the last SAT in Octoberr!!!! I am thinking to start with an elementary Singapore math workbook as a warm-up and build momentum until-what level????

I don't know quite how to answer your questions, but I really like the Singapore math program. If you want to back up to pre-algebra, I would suggest starting at NEM 1.

I think the Singapore math is great. It is like doing puzzles to me. There is a lot of text, but it explains everything in a way to make you think mathematically and there are a lot of word problems. It is great for learning how to use math in every day life, and it is very good preparation for more advanced science.

Have you ever looked into Video Text? It has a short 10 minute lesson on video, and the text just has a short note about how to do the problems. She may like that.

If you would like to pm me, I can copy off a few samples from the NEM and Video Text for you.

I would hesitate to start Singapore math at the high school level. The NEM series is excellent, but if you haven't used the previous PM series, I think it would be difficult to break into. To answer your individual questions:

1. There are textbooks and workbooks (as well as a teacher book, but isn't much more than the student book).

2. The textbook is very simple with succinct instructions. I don't remember many illustrations in the NEM series (there are more in the PM series).

3. The textbook does give a short spiel about the concept being learned and then works through a problem or two. Then the student moves on to the problem set. The workbooks are not necessary to the program unless the student needs more practice. There are ample, IMO, problems in the student text.

4. I would not use the workbooks in the manner you describe. I would do the opposite - use the student text and only use workbook on an as needed basis.

Have you looked at Algebra: A Fresh Approach? I'm using this with my 15 yob. He sounds similar to your daughter. There is a short lesson written to the student (usually less than a page), then lots of practice problems. You can read a review of the book here. It's working for my son. I've actually used 4 different algebra programs for my sons. Each seemed to have different needs/strengths/weaknesses. I used Singapore NEM series with the oldest, Lial's with the #2, Jacob's/Fresh Approach with #3, and Art of Problem Solving with #4.