Menu

Is smoked ham fully cooked?

I'm a picky eater. My son is a picky eater. Unfortunately, we're picky about different things.

I hate ham. He loves ham.

I bought a big slab of smoked ham. Is it already cooked? (Is that what "smoked" means?) Do I just heat/brown it in a pan with butter? Or do I need to cook it through?

It's not like I can taste it and know when it's done. It all tastes nasty to me-raw or cooked.

GENERALLY, smoked ham is already cooked. Nearly all hams in the US are sold already cooked. Now, if you bought it from an individual or a butcher shop, it might be only partially cooked. Generally, if it's in a regular grocery store, then it's already cooked.

Yes, always check the label. I would agree that almost all hams are pre-cooked, especially smoked ones. However, contrary to what even I had previously thought, smoked doesn't always mean fully cooked. My MIL bought some smoked turkey legs. She simply warmed them and proceeded to eat a whole one before my FIL started eating his and found it to be completely raw. My MIL has terrible eye sight and is not "all there" mentally anyway and ate the leg without even noticing it. :ack2:

Thanks guys. It was from a meat market, and the packaging doesn't say what it is. There was a sign next to the package of meat that I bought at the store. I can't remember what it says now.

I fried it up until it seemed fully cooked. Now I'm freezing it and will re-heat (recook) it when I thaw it out. I'm pretty sure that two bouts of cooking will ensure it's done.

Thanks all!