Menu

What to use for composition?

O.k., I'm trying to figure out what I want in a writing curriculum...

(1) I want concrete writing assignments -- I don't want the author to explain how to write a thesis statement, then tell the student to think of a subject that they feel strongly about and write a thesis statement. That is too wide open for my kids (and me!) and we have trouble coming up with a topic off the top of our heads. (I know, that sounds really pathetic.)

(2) At the high school level, I don't want "frivolous" topics -- like "describe your room"; I want more academic type writing (literature, history, etc.) I think I would particularly like a literature/composition course in which whole books are read and papers are assigned based on the reading (compare/contrast, character analysis, etc.) but in which the writing instruction is included to walk the student through the paper...and maybe even additional literary papers one could write for extra practice (give two more works and suggest another compare/contrast paper). Maybe 10 papers for the year? Oh, an example of a well-written paper would be really nice, too.

So, is there anything out there that even resembles what I want? I really hate piecing things together. I really like "open and go" curriculum. I have decided I am a very linear person.

We're in the same boat. I'm looking for ds14 who is a reluctant writer, but knows the rules. He can write a sentence, add vivid verbs and adjectives, put sentences together in an organized paragraph, and structure a 5-paragraph essay. He absolutely hates the 'describe yourself/your room/your favorite vacation' type essays. I want a program that will be better than that, but not too deep either. I need to figure out how many essays a 9th grader should write to fulfill a freshman level English credit, alongside our Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings and BJU 9th grade grammar. I figured I would come up with essay topics from our LotR but I really don't have a clue what I'm doing. Having a program would be so helpful. So far, I'm thinking about trying Jump In, just pulling out the assignments that I think would be okay. I refuse to do that whole 'make a sentence' instruction again! It's like having a child define a noun a gazillion times simply because the curriculum says to do so. :)

O.k., I'm trying to figure out what I want in a writing curriculum...

(1) I want concrete writing assignments -- I don't want the author to explain how to write a thesis statement, then tell the student to think of a subject that they feel strongly about and write a thesis statement. That is too wide open for my kids (and me!) and we have trouble coming up with a topic off the top of our heads. (I know, that sounds really pathetic.)

(2) At the high school level, I don't want "frivolous" topics -- like "describe your room"; I want more academic type writing (literature, history, etc.) I think I would particularly like a literature/composition course in which whole books are read and papers are assigned based on the reading (compare/contrast, character analysis, etc.) but in which the writing instruction is included to walk the student through the paper...and maybe even additional literary papers one could write for extra practice (give two more works and suggest another compare/contrast paper). Maybe 10 papers for the year? Oh, an example of a well-written paper would be really nice, too.

So, is there anything out there that even resembles what I want? I really hate piecing things together. I really like "open and go" curriculum. I have decided I am a very linear person.

Well, not sure if this is what you are looking for...

My 10th grade twins will be just writing essays for their other subjects (U.S. History, Themed Literature, Sciences, elective courses). Also will be using Kaplan AP English Language and Composition study guide. And doing the College Board SAT practice essays.

We are using two books as guides: These teach the process of writing essays... and give lots of topic suggestions. I am pretty sure these are geared for upper high school and freshman college level.

"Writing Clear Essays" by Robert Donald, et al

"Researching and Writing Across the Curriculum" by Christine Hult.

We are using Every Day Use. It is a rhetoric book that has you learning rhetorical techniques for reading and writing. I am coupling the lessons there with the development of actual papers for Am. Lit. and US Hist. (The lessons in the book involve literature and non-fiction essays). That way, the dd will be learning academic writing. I am also throwing in some "common app" type essays for variety.

I am not sure how this will work as I am a first-year homeschooler of a jr. in high school. My main emphasis this year will be writing for all of our classes. All this is too scary to be believed, but it might turn out to be awesome!

Anita, the book by Robert Donald looks intriguing. I see in the Table of Contents that he has suggested topics. Could you give me an idea of what those suggested topics look like?

Memphispeg, could you give me an author for Every Day Use? I couldn't find it with a Google search.

I was looking at Spielvogel's Western Civ.that I'm hoping to use for history, and it looks like it might have some topics for essays at the beginning of each chapter... And, I'm thinking of using Windows to the World for Literature, so that might have some writing assignments. We are supposed to start school again on August 2, and I'm starting to panic because I don't even have my materials picked out!

I also used Jansen's History of Art for Young People, and for literature essay topics The Well-Educated Mind (the logic and rhetoric level questions in Ch. 5). We used several different curricula over the years and if I didn't like an assignment's suggested topic, I chose something based on our current reading list.

Anita, the book by Robert Donald looks intriguing. I see in the Table of Contents that he has suggested topics. Could you give me an idea of what those suggested topics look like?

For the chapter on Narrating... he lists 41 topics.

Write a narrative essay on one of the following topics: (I will just list a few).

5. A wedding reception

6. A vacation

16. Your first plane ride

18. Your first day on a new job

30. Winning a championship game

Some topics wouldn't apply (at least not for my twins-LOL) such as:

1. A blind date

14. Your wedding day

26. Being arrested (um, hopefully this won't ever be a topic that they can write about)

31. Losing your job

38. Running a marathon

Anyway, just a simple list of topics that fit the type of essay that was being taught. The book also has several practice exercises that address what was taught... some to do with writing, some to do with grammar. The only problem is that I haven't found the answers to the exercises... so that means I will actually have to think-LOL.

You might want to listen to SWB's High School Writing and Literary Analysis lectures, available for $4 each from the Peace Hill Press website. I have bought tons of writing books and programs over the years, and the method she describes on these lectures addresses what you want better than any of those. I would add in reading The Elements of Style (every year) to any high school writing curriculum.

Or, if your student is ready, you could try AP study, but I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for. My dd took both of the English AP exams, using AP prep guides and reading great books - there is no curriculum I found that works better for it.

GardenMom