Menu

How far does Jacobs ELEMENTARY ALGEBRA go?

Does anyone have a copy of Harold Jacobs Elementary Algebra on hand? If so, can you tell me what the last 5 chapters are or what type of material is covered towards the last 1/4th of the book? The book is 876 pages so that makes me think there is material in there that is reviewed in parts of Algebra 2.

Thanks!

Here's a blurb that I found somewhere online & included in my district's "required" end-of-year summary last year for my son:

Author Harold Jacobs is an exceptional math teacher. He taught public school in Van Nuys, California from 1962 to 1997 and was awarded the “Most Outstanding High School Math Teacher in Los Angeles” award in 1984. This High School Level Text contains 17 chapters. Each chapter contains between four and nine lessons and a summary and review lesson. Each lesson begins with a presentation of material and contains 4 sets of exercises.

Table of Contents:

Fundamental Operations; Functions and Graphs; The Integers; The Rational Numbers; Equations in One Variable; Equations in Two Variables; Simultaneous Equations; Exponents ; Polynomials; Factoring; Fractions; Square Roots; Quadratic Equations; The Real Numbers; Fractional Equations; Inequalities; and Number Sequences.

Hope that helps,

Myra

We used Jacob's last year with the Ask Dr Callahan syllabus. He lists Ch. 16 and 17 as optional. Also, the Jacob's Teacher's Guide lists several lessons that would be considered honors level Algebra. It seems like it was the last one or two lessons in some of the chapters. I no longer have the book, so I'm not sure which lessons are specifically listed.