Menu

Self-study for AP testing?

I am kicking myself that my DDs didn't start AP testing already. In our area, when I tried asking about AP testing, I was told repeatedly that it was something you didn't even consider until Jr year, but mostly Sr. Even if they had just taken one test sophomore year, that would've been nice. So now mine are heading into Jr year and they really want to get kicking. (Wish I had found this board last year!)

Does anyone have any experience with how doable it is to self-study for AP exams? Obviously, there are some study guides out there, but in a practical sense, what do you think? Any particular tests you know of that are more geared to that style of preparation?

Thanks!

There are quite a few web-sites on the Internet. The best ones have study questions and test questions. I found some for US History that are good. Search AP US History Test questions or whatever. The MIT OCSW site has a selection of lectures for math and science AP students. What subjects are you thinking about?

Yes, you can do it! My dd just got her score today for the AP Art History exam, and we were thrilled to see that she got a 5!

What I did to plan for it: I searched online for "real" high school AP syllabi so I could get a feel for the texts and other materials they were using. And I also searched this board for info. And, of course, I looked at all the info on the Teacher section of the College Board website.

Based on that, I picked a main textbook (Gardner's) plus its study guide, a test-prep book (REA), and a Teaching Company series on European Art. I scheduled out the work over the time available, leaving a couple of weeks at the end for review and practice exams.

I am feeling so encouraged that it worked, that we might try another course or two this year. :) (she will be a senior this year).

Good luck!

I'd check out the CB website course descriptions for APs you and your daughter think are a good match, then search these forums or post with questions about specific exams.

Here's a thread for you:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186956

FWIW, my oldest took three AP exams, for which he began studying 1/2 way through his senior year. My second oldest studied for and took APs only in her junior and senior years. I think you are doing just fine!

GardenMom

This is so encouraging, thank you! OC Mom, what wonderful news! Congrats to your daughter... and you! ;) What is the REA test-prep book you mentioned? GardenMom, did your two self-study for those, or were they taking online courses?

They have more of a natural bent toward literature and writing, but I would consider almost any at this point.

We are entering year 2 of world history, actually using an approved AP world history text, but it certainly hasn't been structured like an AP class. They read a chapter, do the online quizzes from the publisher (although they don't always do very well on those), they write a short essay response (2 paragraphs or so) on a couple of questions (one from the text, two from the short answer section of the publisher online). But honestly, I'm not reading the text so I'm not exactly a "guide" for this. They are also studying world religions at the same time and building a website about women's roles in religions, and then there are some supplemental readings they are doing as well. So while they are covering a lot of ground, I guess the AP thing kind of scares me because they are just doing this on their own. There isn't a lot of discussion. <sigh> I suppose I feel like I'm letting them down. Originally I thought maybe they could take the world history AP, but then I started hearing that it was one of of the harder tests, etc. I don't know. I guess I just feel like we're all on trial and if they don't do well it would be reflection on our homeschooling, etc. I've never been one to "teach to the test" and now I'm feeling really apprehensive. Sorry, I'm rambling!

What is the REA test-prep book you mentioned? GardenMom, did your two self-study for those, or were they taking online courses?

We are entering year 2 of world history, actually using an approved AP world history text, but it certainly hasn't been structured like an AP class. They read a chapter, do the online quizzes from the publisher (although they don't always do very well on those), they write a short essay response (2 paragraphs or so) on a couple of questions (one from the text, two from the short answer section of the publisher online).

Originally I thought maybe they could take the world history AP, but then I started hearing that it was one of of the harder tests, etc. I don't know. I guess I just feel like we're all on trial and if they don't do well it would be reflection on our homeschooling, etc. I've never been one to "teach to the test" and now I'm feeling really apprehensive. Sorry, I'm rambling!

REA stands for Research and Educational Associates. They publish test prep guides for CLEP and AP exams. They have their own website, and you can also search places such as Amazon for "REA AP _____."

My two oldest self-studied for 8 different exams between them. Some more details for general AP exam study are included in the thread I linked in my previous post.

It sounds like your daughters are doing just fine. Neither of my two oldest took the World History AP. I have heard it's one of the most challenging APs because it involves a lot of memorization and synthesis. You are smart to spread out their study over two years. AP tests have a prescribed format, so you will need to spend some time teaching to the test (sorry). It is a good idea to finish the actual content study a month or so before the exam for review and practice. I recommend that you buy at least one exam prep guide for them to use and have them practice on actual CB FRQs downloaded from their website. There are past FRQs for a lot of practice.

Best wishes,

GardenMom

I have had 2 kids successfully 'self-study' for APs. My oldest dd also took art History - and also used the REA test prep book and also got a 5!! We used a different Teaching Company series and a whole bunch of other stuff.

She also got 5s for World History (she did it as a 10th grader so don't be scared of it), US History, Eng Lit and Eng Lang. She got 3s for Spanish and Chemistry.

My son has done by Macro and Micro Economics and got 4s for both. He took 3 more this year but we are still waiting for results so I can give feedback on those.

I never teach to the test ... I pick the courses I want them to study and if I think they will be adequately prepared for the test, then I buy the Princeton Review book and they use that for test prep 2 weeks before the exam. I don't even use books suggested by the Collegeboard site. For English we used Sonlight, for Economics Thinkwell, for US History, Sonlight etc ....

Doing so for American Govt and Politics. I am absolutely elated to have the opportunity to do so but even for this old lawyer it is an SOB to study for. However, it could be that I am anal retentive and she will be ridiculously overprepared.

Then do tell what resources you'll be using. ;) Ds is also self-studying for American Govt...