Menu

Science for a non-science kid?

My 2nd soon-to-be high schooler is not a big fan of science, so the search is on again. My 1st high schooler (son) was also a non-science lover, and his high school science was a failure, I'm sad to say. He started with Apologia's General Science, and it was far too laborious for his learning disabilities. He did Biology (sort of) on SOS, and we will do Friendly Chemistry for his senior year this year. Can anyone point me to a science for us? We've always struggled with this subject, but I'd like to try to find something that we *can* handle.

Thanks for any ideas,

Dana

I have lots of ideas, but they are very secular. My main bit of advice is to think outside the curriculum box -- a textbook might be the worst way to approach science for someone who isn't interested in science. Instead, combine some living books, videos, and hands on projects. Think past the usual high school sciences and consider zoology, ornithology, astronomy, meteorology, botany, oceanography, electricity, engineering. For instance....

The Teaching Company has meteorology and astronomy courses which you could flesh out with books and observations. There are astronomy clubs all around, and lots of folk have mini-weather stations in their yards.

Conceptual Physics is a non-math based course. There is also a Physics in Your Life course from the Teaching Company and many good books written for the general audience on physics topics, including the Cartoon Guide to Physics. There are some easy labs that demonstrate Newton's laws of motion, and probably others if you poke around the internet. A rocketry club would be a great place for hands on experience.

There is also Conceptual Chemistry and books on the elements, many YouTube videos, too. For labs you could look for a book called (I think) Kitchen Chemistry.

Lego Mindstorms is a robotics kit that includes software for programming. Combine it with Mr. Circuit kits from Rainbow Resources for electronics.

Cornell University has a terrific citizen science program called Project Feeder Watch. There are many fabulous resources on their site, and area Audubon societies would also have resources and opportunities for hands on learning. Wildlife conservation groups and animal shelters are another good resource.

You could make 9th grade a general science year and focus on the history of science by reading biographies of scientists and books like Science Literacy by Rober Hagen. Then pick one of those specializations and get creative!

Conceptual Chemistry along with the Chemistry Alive! lectures could work well. If you go for the Conceptual Physics, I suggest the high school level one as it is a good deal shorter than the college level one. I have both, because my db sent me a free college level one, but I couldn't find any Instructor's Guide for it & ended up buying a used high school one.

We have a few Teaching Company courses, but haven't bought a science one yet. I agree that you'd what to flesh it out with books.

Also, you ought to do some lab work because lab credits may be required even for student who want to get a BA not a BSc (of course, at Rutgers, you get a BA in many sciences, too :glare::001_smile:. Dh has a BA in Forest Management, and an old high school friend got a BA in Chemistry, both from Rugters.)

General Sciences- The Teaching Company Joy's of Science and the book Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy (We haven't used this, but I have a friend who did.)

Environmental Sciences- WinterPromise Sizzle, Solve, and Survive (I don't know anyone who has used this, but it looks fun.)

Anatomy 1/2 credit & Forensics 1/2 credit- WinterPromise Human Body & Forensics (Middle ds used this last year.)

Oceanography- my middle ds earned a half credit in oceanography using the ocean science in WinterPromise S&S and reading (not completing in entirety) the 8 chapters on oceanography from Apologia's Marine Biology

Astronomy- my middle ds earned a half credit in astronomy using the astronomy in WinterPromise S&S alongside our additions of DK's Universe the definitive visual guide, The Story of Astronomy, and George's Secret Key to the Universe.

Physics- K'Nex Roller Coaster Physics with Hewitt's High School Conceptual Physics This is a text, but it is conceptual and not mathematical physics (This is what my middle ds is used.)

Chemistry- Another text but not a rigorous college prep one. With middle ds I had planned to use Real Science 4 Kids level 2 and supplement the few high school level things that it doesn't cover per the author's blog entry from July 17, 2008.

Now I am thinking middle ds will use a PH Chemistry text. He used a Holt text for biology.

HTH-

Mandy