Menu

Forgive me for asking but there are so many threads on the search term "Teaching Company" that an answer does not come by other means.

My library has many TC lectures available in audio only form, not as many DVDs. How do you use these in your homeschool? Do you simply require your child to listen and maybe take notes? Or do you only use TC if you can get the DVDs?

I actually prefer listening to Teaching Company audio CDs. We listen to them in the car while we are driving to and from various activities. I also listen to them while folding and ironing laundry.

I purchased a couple of lectures on DVD, but it was more difficult to schedule time for us to sit in front of the tv.

I do not require my children to take notes. However, we discuss the lectures in the context of our readings. When writing papers, they are expected to include information from both the books and the lectures.

So far, my dd has listened to the Iliad and the Odyssey. This year, my ds will listen to Iliad and my dd will listen to the Aeneid and Greek Tragedies.

Dd is doing the audio CDs for The Iliad & The Odyssey, and the format works well. However, I did order DVDs for history since I think the maps & illustrations there will be helpful; when the time comes for me to order a science course, I will get one with DVDs.

I really think it depends on the course, and if you look at their website, there are some courses that only come on audio, some only on DVD & others where you have a choice.

I think it's easier to keep my attention focused on the dvd's, but the cd's are nice for listening in the car or sitting down together especially if you have the time to pause occasionally for discussion. We occasionally used a dvd series to practice note-taking skills, but usually used them for enrichment and a change of pace.

My two oldest (so far) have listened to these TC's courses within our curriculum:

How to Listen to and Understand Great Music

Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition

The Music CDs were part of a four 1/2-credit music appreciation courses I spread over their high school years, according to the WTM time periods. They also read The Gift of Music, read about 1 opera each year, and watched the opera. They did the entire course.

The Great Authors CDs were used in conjunction with the literature schedule I worked out according to the WTM plan. When they read a work of literature, they would listen to the lecture about it, if it was available.

They liked the Music CDs because professor Greenburg was offbeat and funny. They thought the Great Authors CDs were just ok (various lecturers). Both enjoyed being able to work with their hands doing whatever while they listened. Dd liked to sew and do other crafts; ds mostly cooked (my requirement!).

HTH,

GardenMom