Menu

Foreign Language Curriculum Recommendations?

Tried to use Tell Me More (like Rosetta Stone, only cheaper) French with dd in 9th grade two years ago, gave it up due to feeling like I couldn't figure out how to grade her on it--no tests, no instruction that I could evaluate and say, "ok, you learned THIS." DD is now going into 11th, and we definitely still need that 2 years of foreign language...I think what I'd like to do is still use the Tell Me More but as a supplement only, and find a more textbook approach for grammar...so now I need a recommendation. I do know some French but would still like a Teacher's Manual for grading purposes, so I don't want anything that doesn't come with one. What have y'all used and had success with? I don't need all the CD's/DVD's, I just want a textbook/tests and TE.

Along those lines, I also need a recommendation for Spanish (except perhaps this time with a CD or DVD) for dd #2, going into 9th gr, who is not interested in French and will probably be somewhat foreign language challenged...don't want to spring the big money for another edition of Tell Me More, I don't think... can y'all help me out? :-) Thanks in advance!

Yea, I did read the posts about OSU, but I don't have that kind of money. I agree I want a good curriculum for foreign language, but I cannot afford to spend $1000 this year for three of my kids to take one course (I didn't say it in the original post, but dd #3, going into 8th gr, is also going to be doing the French with her older sister.) I frankly can't even afford upwards of the $300 just for one of them to go that route. Please help me with some good textbook-type suggestions, all y'all! :-)

We are very happy with Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn Spanish. They also have it for French.

They have a special on the spanish right now

http://www.galorepark.co.uk/special-offers/home-educators-copies/1/

which is an excellent price.

My kids really like it. Their tutor (who teaches college & high school spanish) seems to like it and says it is very solid, and is very happy with their skills.

I wouldn't worry about grading - I would just count hours of study. 120 hours studying French= 1 credit.

Have you ever seen French in Action or Destinos? Here's the links: http://www.learner.org/resources/series83.html

http://www.learner.org/resources/series75.html

They are half hour long shows that introduce the language via an ongoing storyline. For Destinos, there are companion materials which you may be able to find used on ebay or half.com or somewhere. There probably is for French in Action too. You can also watch the videos by themselves.