Menu

Apologia Astronomy schedule?

Jonibee

Does anyone have a source for lesson plans for this book? A daily/weekly schedule somewhere online?

After years and years of using Sonlight, I feel somewhat helpless at just "doing a curriculum" without a schedule. ;)

If you join this yahoo group I think they have a schedule in the files.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elem_Apologia_Science/?yguid=293825095

I am doing Astronomy this year with my sons. I believe that they have a lesson schedule included in the front of the notebook journal that you can buy to go with the book. I think it gives a weekly schedule with doing science two days a week.

:iagree: Yep, it's in the notebooking journal, 2 days a week for 28 weeks. You could stretch it out longer if you wanted to do everything in the notebooking journal, or you can pick and choose...which is what we'll do.

It's basically...read half the chapter, narrate and do an activity in the notebooking journal; read second half of the chapter, narrate using review Qs that are in the journal; do an activity in the journal; do another activity in the journal and the project at the end of the chapter in the book.

It's pretty straight-forward, IMO. Without the notebooking journal, you'd just have to come up with extra activities on your own, or you might go at a faster pace, or supplement with other books. The notebooking journal is around $16-17 from christianbook.com, I think. Worth it, I think!

We packed it into one semester, four days a week, in keeping with TWTM structure of earth science and astronomy in the same year. I started out following the schedule in the front of the notebook (which I highly recommend buying) but eventually came up with our own system that went roughly like this:

Day one - read half the chapter, narrate verbally, illustrate a fact

Day two - finish reading the chapter and do written narration

Day three - independent work - crossword, copywriting, illustrate a fact or other notebook page

Day four - make mini book and do lab, if applicable - we hardly did any, but made up for it by buying her a telescope for her birthday!

We did not do everything in the notebook. By the end, she was tired of illustrating and writing out so many facts over and over, and when we did the final review, she got 100%, so apparently we did enough :)