Menu

Any good books to read for Health class?

I really can't just sit down and read a Health textbook. I am bored out of my mind!

I have been reading a book written in the '60s by a couple and it was about TB.

It is really interesting and full of first hand accounts and scientific facts. Could that be considered a Health book for the course?

Any other books I could read that aren't textbooks? The main subjects I need to learn in Health is sex, CPR, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and STDs.

I took Health all three years of middle school so I am only doing this for my district. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

A few ideas --

A Teaching Company course, such as "The Human Body: How We Fail, How We Heal", "Understanding the Human Body", or Lifelong Health

Taking a CPR/First Aid course from your local Red Cross or hospital

For some hard facts and data on teen sex, I'd suggest the book "Epidemic: How Teen Sex is Killing Our Kids", by Dr. Meg Meeker

The NOVA on the Ebola virus was pretty interesting, too.

I second taking a First Aid & CPR course from the Red Cross.

Two official government websites have tons of information- both in html for reading on the website & PDF for download formats- on practically any and every health related topic you can imagine from nutrition to food safety to all the usual infectious & non-infectious illnesses. Some of the info is geared toward consumers, some for professionals. I have printed some of the PDF format brochures to use in the health class I've taught for my homeschool co-op.

The two websites are National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

Am I the only one surprised that Health doesn't include nutrition? Or am I just a foodie with a one track mind? :confused:

You have probably covered the subjects you mentioned to death, yes? So for alcohol, perhaps a book on fetal alcohol syndrome?

Rosie

Am I the only one surprised that Health doesn't include nutrition?

:iagree::iagree:

Must you follow their subject outline? Public schools tend to focus on *lack* of health, and I prefer to spend more time on "healthy living" with my children. You might enjoy that, too, if it's possible with your school requirements? Things like nutrition, exercise, and keeping mentally & spiritually healthy?

Just a thought,

Julie

I agree with all of what's been said. The CPR class is great - and you never know when you may need it. For alcohol and drugs, maybe find a good autobiography written by someone who has been through that and is in recovery. For nutrition and healthy living, ask your librarian for suggestions and read up on that. For sex education, since you've probably gotten all the particulars on that in school, read Theology of the Body. Find things that interest you and learn about them. :)

For drug abuse/alcohol, there's a book written by the dad of a teen addict and his son. I can't think of the name, but it's honest, well-written, and gives an idea of both sides of the story. Maybe you could google it. I thought about writing something like it at some point, only to discover they'd beaten me to it. ;)

If you'd like a Christian view of sex, you might try Real Sex. It's very interesting and gives something to think about other than mechanics, iykwim.

And I third or whatever taking CPR and First Aid.

I'd also take a quickie nutrition class, as Rosie recommends.

Thanks everyone!

I found a great book on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. It is called Damaged Angels by Bonnie Buxton. It is about a mother who adopts a daughter with it and their journey.

It is really good so far.

I also got a book about the female body. I believe it is called Girlology or something along those lines. I'll just skim it since I already now the basics from Health class in middle school.

Thanks again everyone :)

it's called Romance without Regret, by Jason Evert.

He's a wonderful speaker, and he and his wife Chrystalina talk to teens about chastity. We've seen him in person a few times, and he really holds the attention of teens. He has a couple of his talks on the web that you can listen to for free here:

http://chastity.org/seminars/index.php?id=5

HTH,

Brenda