Menu

Highschool's here and I'm scared.

Okay, I finally arrived and I don't see any way to stall the new school year. Some subjects I feel very comfortable with, but I'd hate to breed my weaknesses. I love math and history; my ds (14) will be doing Advanced mathematics (Saxon) and The Story of the Ancient World. I love grammar and writing too, but I can't find a program I like, maybe AG? Science I feel like I'm in deep waters with strong currents; pretty much the same for rhetoric, art, music, and whatever else constitutes a well rounded education.

:grouphug:

I have no words of wisdom, but I can surely relate. When we decided to hs hs (and I was outnumbered 2 to 1), I only agreed to "teach" math and literature. My own shortcomings in all other areas are all too apparent to me. Science and foreign language are impossible at the high school level for me. And ds is no self-motivated student.

For 9th grade, we'll be using Derek Owens for physics, Potter's School for computer programming elective, and History at our House. We are fortunate to live in an area that allows homeschoolers to dual enroll at the community college for free in 10th-12th grade. We'll be taking advantage of that.

FWIW, I'm a huge AG fan. You may read my review here.

HTH!

Edited by Sue in St Pete

It's okay to know your limits and find other ways to meet those instructional needs. You don't need to teach it all yourself.

You may be able to find an online course, or a DVD course, or a tutor, or a co-op situation, or another hsing parent who loves the subject you feel weak teaching. Many states allow students to take concurrent community college courses (what my dc did).