Menu

Nervous about putting daughter in school...

I don't post that much here, but do come from time to time for curriculum ideas, etc. I had posted once about my reservations about homeschooling high school. It's not because I don't love homeschooling, because I do. I love how it has strengthened our family, developed character in the kids, and given us so much freedom.

But when it comes to high school (and I could be wrong), I feel like we're on the short end of the deal with regards to college. Homeschooling is a lot of time, effort, sacrifice and work; and then it seems in addition to this, we have a lot of explaining to do to the colleges. All the while hundreds of school kids (public and private) are getting into great colleges and universities; yet their parents aren't putting in the time, effort, sacrifice, etc. that we are. It makes me ask: "is it worth it in high school?" (add my personal insecurities: I am not the most organized, and/or aggressive person around - my husband is gone for about a year - and I'm still teaching my other kids).

So, in my doubts about homeschooling h.s., we applied for an academic scholarship to a college prep. school - for my daughter - and she got it. So here I am - getting just what I wanted - and now I'm scared silly. I don't want her to have to deal with: teenage girl insecurities on steroids, 7 - 8 hours at school with 4 hours of homework per day; being stuck to their schedule, etc., etc.

Has anyone put their kids in for high school - and if so - how did it go? Were you able to transition smoothly, or did you regret it?

Any advice or info. would be appreciated! I'll be away from the computer for a while.

My oldest ds homeschooled K-8. He wanted to attend high school so he went to a private all boys high school, and it's gone very well. He'll be a junior this Sept. His younger brother will follow him after completing homeschool gr. 8 this upcoming year.

Listen to your heart and don't be afraid! :grouphug:

Has anyone put their kids in for high school - and if so - how did it go? Were you able to transition smoothly, or did you regret it?

Any advice or info. would be appreciated!

No advice, but I'm with you. My dd (13) who has been homeschooled for 5 years will be starting high school in September. She's so excited to go and I'm excited for her, but nervous at the same time. (it's a performing arts high school in Manhattan - very rigorous schedule, subway there and back, huge school of 2400 kids, and I have no idea how she compares academically. Yeah, I'm a nervous wreck).

My dd just started at a private school last year for her freshman year. It was a very good move! However, our circumstances are different. I felt uncomfortable HSing through high school and had found a wonderful, small Classical Christian school to enroll her in. I later found out they had an opening for a 3rd grade teacher and applied and got the job! I love the school so much that I thought it would be a great fit for all my kids and I get free tuition by being on staff.So the side benefit is that I get to see my dd during the day, I know her teachers pretty well, and know the climate of the school.

There have been pros and cons, but the pros outweigh the cons. My dd, I think, needed the push from having new teachers and peers to step up the quality of her work. She also has been having some chronic pain issues which we can't seem to get resolved, but being at a private school has helped her to be able to overcome some of the lethargy and self pity that hampered her schooling at home. She has been blessed with particularly sweet group of kids in her class and it is a small group.

My dd was able to meet a couple of girls from her class before the year began. One girl in particular took her under her wing. Would your dd be able to meet with any of her upcoming classmates before school begins?

At the beginning of the year it was tough adjusting to the regimen of getting up earlier than usual and needing to get out the door early. (Extra early since I was teaching there). Adjusting to homework was not so bad, but our school doesn't overload it either. Just remember there will be a lengthy adjustment period and give it all the time it needs.

Best of luck to you and your dd.

My middle child hs'd only through 6th grade & entered as an 8th grader into a WTM inspired school. I wished we would have waited to high school, but there were openings for 8th grade so we moved Storm up.

SHE LOVES HER SCHOOL, fits right in, and looking forward to next fall. I had reservations regarding placing Storm into a school setting, but she wanted to attend a brick & mortar school since Taz is in college & Blaze already attended a public school.

The biggest transition for us was the balancing of homework with her dance schedule and social life. Next year, Storm will not participate in so many competition routines to afford more time for school and friends. So we'll see how it goes. For me personally as a parent, I had to learn to let go and allow Storm to make mistakes. When she was home, I immediately checked her work. But for school, you can only give input and direction without correcting e.v.e.r.y. error made by our children--BTDT.

I made Storm rewrite one of her papers to my personal standard and she was accused of plagiarism because, "8th graders do not write with such style and tone." They do write well after years of narration, copywork, Classical Writing & IEW--rolling eyes. I marched up to the school, and dd received a B+ on her paper even though she deserved an A.

You just need to know when to step back, and when to stand up for your child--everything else works out in the end.

Thanks for the encouragement. From reading your responses and the board, I am not the only one nervous about high school.

My daughter and my husband are both pretty much at peace with our situation -I don't think I'll ever have perfect peace about it - so I guess it's a go. If it doesn't work, we can always go back to homeschool, right?

Good Luck to you all for next year!