Menu

Favorite Christian History ... Text?

Okay. I have asked this a few times in a few ways in a few places. :tongue_smilie: I'm going to try it again, maybe having a better understanding of what I'm looking for.

I'm looking at TOG for my son for first grade. While I really like "TOG" as a whole, the main thing that attracts me is the D/Rh levels and the teacher's notes. I really feel that, especially with my first child, I need to be learning this along with him. I feel that TOG is an excellent choice to weave strong Christianity/younger student/mom. However. I would really love to do this cheaper.

*I* need a stronger understanding here. I need help drawing connections. That's when it hit me - maybe there is another high school level course/text that I can go through. I would really like commentary tied into it, but I know that can get dicey. What's out there?

Well, there's Mystery of History. It is written from a Christian worldview. SOTW is not anti-Christian. Anything from Beautiful Feet would be from a Christian worldview. Sonlight is a Christian company, but will incorporated secular texts. You could look at Veritas Press too. I hope this helps some.

If you are serious about getting some in-depth studying with connections and biblical worldview, you might want to check into Kings Meadow Curriculum (http://kingsmeadow.com/) for high school. It was formally known as Gileskirk, but is currently being re-released. Not cheap, but very good and has lots of MP3 lectures that correspond with the lessons. I have been told it is "life changing."

The recommendation for Omnibus is good as well, it is more literature based. Additionally, you might want to check into Notgrass and Diana Waring. Diana Waring has partnered with Answers in Genesis and you can see her video there. All have a Biblical worldview, but different presentation styles and cost.

Another idea: Diana Waring has some great audio CDs that would have the Biblical worldview history connections you are looking for and are less of an investment than an entire curriculum.

Elizabeth

Edited by ScubaDo
remembered tidbit

How about a series of books to read for Christian History? I like a series by Mindy and Brandon Withrow. It has five books, beginning with Peril and Peace, followed chronologically by Monks and Mystics, Courage and Conviction, Hearts and Hands, and Rescue and Redeem. You can easily add this as a read-aloud while doing the appropriate time period. I'd use them along with Story of the World and the SOTW Activity Guides, if I was starting over with young ones.

Another idea: Diana Waring has some great audio CDs that would have the Biblical worldview history connections you are looking for and are less of an investment than an entire curriculum.

Elizabeth

Ohhh!!! I like this idea. I haven't heard her yet, but I hear that she's great.

How about a series of books to read for Christian History? I like a series by Mindy and Brandon Withrow. It has five books, beginning with Peril and Peace, followed chronologically by Monks and Mystics, Courage and Conviction, Hearts and Hands, and Rescue and Redeem. You can easily add this as a read-aloud while doing the appropriate time period. I'd use them along with Story of the World and the SOTW Activity Guides, if I was starting over with young ones.

I saw this series and I think that's a great idea. I've got some worldview books in my cart for myself, plus some of these, maybe a Diana Waring CD and I think that will be just what I'm looking for.

Thanks for putting up with me!