Menu

if you used Notgrass Amer. Hist. for high school

what would you use in the other two stages to go along with it? I'll have a K (who I'm not too concerned about), a 4th grader and a 7th grader along with my 3 high schoolers. We'll be studying 1800 to currently. I don't want to do 3 different history programs, but am just looking for something that maybe my 4th/7th grader could do together.

Their Grade 6 program covers 1815 to present. Although it is listed as grade 6, all the cards are pretty much the same. What you use to go with the cards is more determinative of grade level. You can pick and choose from their book lists. Another option would be to use the Hakim's History of US volumes that cover that time period.

You've got me thinking here now....what about using Beautiful Feet along with it for the younger set? I vaguely remember we liked it back when DS was in 2nd or 3rd grade.

We also used Sonlight for grades 7 and 8, US history, using the Hakim History of US series. I think that is now their Core 100. They also have a younger version that is their Core 3-4 one year US history.

The thing I liked about Sonlight back when we used it for US was that I didn't have to figure out how many pages to assign and so forth....which was what also attracted me to Notgrass. I think though that you would have to do some tweaking to marry them up because Sonlight is so much more intense. But, it is much easier to whittle something down than to beef something up, IMO

what would you use in the other two stages to go along with it? I'll have a K (who I'm not too concerned about), a 4th grader and a 7th grader along with my 3 high schoolers. We'll be studying 1800 to currently. I don't want to do 3 different history programs, but am just looking for something that maybe my 4th/7th grader could do together.

I second looking at Veritas Press American History 1815-Present for the 4th/ 7th grader to use together.

The recommended primary resources include 7 of the Hakim books, the BJUP High School American History Text, and Christian Liberty's 4th grade text- A Child's Story of America, and Kingfisher.

http://www.veritaspress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=000506

Mandy