Menu

First day of school starts....

Heidi

Monday!!!! 5 July. :willy_nilly:

My dd6 will be in first grade. I decided to go with R&S Math, R&S Phonics, and Ambleside Online -Year 1 for everything else. All I need is to make passages for copywork and I'm all set!

:party:

Anyone else starting soon?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

We too start on Monday! My kids will be 1st, 9th and 10th. We also have a 2 year old and 3 1/2 year old so it should be interesting:001_huh::001_smile:

We were supposed to start yesterday, but I don't quite have all my ducks in a row, and I found out that dh is off on Monday, so we're starting on Tuesday.

I've still got to get my lesson plans into Homeschool Tracker, set up their binders, get the first term's work copied or printed, and clean out the school room from last year.

I guess I better get back to work.

We just started (July 1) and so far I've made 2 major curriculum changes (both Science related) and had a planner crisis (was switching to Skedtrack and realized that I LOVE planning on paper). On a more positive note, the girls seem to really enjoy the new choices (MM, HO and Elemental Science).

Edited by Mom25girls
OOPS! Poor spelling

We are starting on July 12. I have a LOT of work to do to get ready. :( I know what we are doing, I need to make copies, type up memory verses and poems, and I'd like to type up what oldest ds needs to do everyday for writing via WTM.

I do not wanting to give up my nice, lazy, free wheeling days yet! But, I really want to try a 4 day a week schedule, so I need to get started!

If I can hold my rising 4th grader off, we'll be starting the first Monday of August. I'm really excited!! The boys (4th and 2nd grade) will be doing MFW ECC (with 4 y/o dd tagging along). 4 y/o dd will be doing MFW Kindy as well. She can't wait! My 7 y/o ds otoh would rather hang by his big toes than start school:lol:. Yeah, it's funny until the defiance about doing school actually *starts*.

We do not *start* school for the next year until August 30 but we do math all summer so they started their new math. We also do other things in the summer. BUT my kindergartner did start. We are slowly easing into kindergarten. He is doing his K math & really getting into learning to read:glare: (this could be going easier) But my son LOVES school so far, we are hoping to keep his love for school!!!!! So we have started 1 grade for the new school year LOL

I got a good chuckle reading some of the replies.

My K5er is eager to start school. She's been asking since we stopped in May. She was in K4 last year just to test the waters. Needless to say she's going to be doing K reading and such things but 1st grade math and I'm super excited for her!

We will officially start K on Monday, August 9th. The 6th is when my nephew starts public school (he's the same age as ds) and on that day we will be going out to breakfast and doing a bunch of fun stuff that kids in school don't get to do!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

So, do you early starters school year round too? We do 4 day school weeks (makes life MUCH easier for us) so we start July 5th and end right before Memorial Day.

So, do you early starters school year round too? We do 4 day school weeks (makes life MUCH easier for us) so we start July 5th and end right before Memorial Day.

We're schooling year-round. We did have a little lull Feb-Mar when we'd finished our SL core and the year's LA so we just did some fun RA's and math. It was a good break. We slowly started building back up in April and were at full-speed by June 1st. By PS schedule, my ds wouldn't be starting 1st grade until Sept. so whatever we get done in the summer is bonus and allows me to set our own pace. We also take liberal breaks throughout the year.

Guest RecumbentHeart

We started K this past Monday. Although we've been "doing school" on and off for a while, I'm still amazed I made it through this week. Only 32 more units of LHTH to go. :lol: I feel like this is my training year. Our load is light so Mom can build up her personal discipline at actually doing something consistently for an extended period of time. :tongue_smilie:

This it the time schedule we have decided on as well although this year we will be starting 7/12 instead. One month completely off in the summer is more than enough for us. We do 5 day weeks but this calendar allows us to take more time off for things throughout the year.

How exciting! We are starting Aug. 2nd. I almost wish we were starting now........I'm enjoying the break and need the planning time but I'm getting excited to start again. Good luck!

That's how I feel ! We're not starting until August 30, and I'm enjoying our summer off, but keep looking at all the materials I've bought and wish we were starting now! DS needs his summer break, though, Have a great year!

Nan

We start Monday (tomorrow - yikes! I am so not ready), but my oldest has 2 weeks of baseball camp, and my middle son will do baseball camp the second week, so our first two official weeks of school will be light, afternoon math, reading, and ETC, with some reading to them thrown in for good measure.

We go year round, usually taking a week off every other month. I'm also planning for about 6 weeks off between Thanksgiving and New Years as I'm due the beginning of December and though dh will probably take a week off in there somewhere (and has a week off at Thanksgiving and Christmas break), I'm not sure how much he'll get done with the boys with having the holidays and a new baby. So, we go the beginning of July through mid June, with breaks as we need.

I still need to plan our year and am glad that the boys have baseball camp and that dh is home to help. Most of what we are doing is carry over from last year (we don't ever seem to actually end curriculum at the "end" of one year or start something new at the beginning of the next), but we are doing earth science this year, taking a pause from what we were doing (Singapore MPH), so that needs planning. Plus, I want to get a good idea of what I want to accomplish before our baby break. ;)