Menu

What scares you?

And wondering why God seems to let good things us by. :confused:

The stress level in our house is huge.

-- 2 baby adoptions pending in court

-- 1 house that we would like to sell, but isn't moving

-- 1 down payment on a new house that is waiting to be built if/when we sell

-- dh's job has been in limbo and seems to be increasingly so, 9 mths will tell if he still has this job.

-- dh's slipped disk that isn't responding to treatment

-- my unexpected 10 day in the hosp. with surgery to remove body parts I didn't have a chance to use.

-- dh's car just broke down and will need replacing

I'm fine when someone else is driving but I hate driving on a bridge over water and through tunnels. We live outside of Pittsburgh which is called "the city of bridges"(and tunnels-LOL). I will drive a little out of my way to avoid a bridge or tunnel but sometimes I must deal with them.

I also despise the crunchy roaches that Peek mentioned. Just Peek talking about them made me shudder. I was raised in a house with them and I just could not squash them as a kid. Luckily, we don't have them here. That crunch...I need to change the subject. Yuck

Snakes. Just the thought of a snake can send me into a frozen-yet-hyperventilating panic attack. I used to have dreams where I was being chased by a snake. I was so terrified that my subconscious would cause the dream to shift and (in the dream) I would literally lift off of the ground to get away.

Also, driving across bridges. I can do it, but I have to give myself encouraging pep talks while deep-breathing.

Oh, and I'm also afraid of heights *if* I have a child with me. I'm terrified that the child will somehow fall.

Oops, I forgot one more. I'm afraid of having a terrible disease. That's really more of an anxiety disorder, but it makes me afraid, so I'll include it.

Pathetic, huh? :o

Lisa

I cannot do water in which I can't see the bottom - including inland lakes. Eww. There are slimy things and you never know what might be lurking to grab you. I am afraid of serious injury during water skiing and the like - not of me, of course, because I don't do scary things like that, but I can't watch my husband because I'm convinced he will die. It's probably a good thing for my children that I don't go to my inlaws' cottage anymore because I would not be able to let them go tubing or ride on the jet ski. (My inlaws think I don't like them because I don't like the lake where they have their cottage - inland lake, lots of slime, and water sports - how can anyone enjoy a place that combines so many scary things???)

I think the ocean is very beautiful but I do not want to swim in it. Too many scary things lurking. Sharks, jellyfish, you just never know.

I am claustrophobic.

I *hate* flying. I can get on a plane, but there was a while when I couldn't do it without Xanax. Now I just need to be able to sleep during the flight.

I have very strict rules about the movies I watch because otherwise I have nightmares. No extraneous blowing up of things, nothing bad can happen to children, no gore, and there must be a happy ending. No, I don't watch many.:p

I am terrified of something happening to my children. My ILs are here this weekend and had the girls for the day to take them to a children's museum. I was convinced by about 3 pm that they were all dead because we had not heard from them all day.

I am ashamed to admit that I am also afraid of vampires. When my dh used to travel, before we had kids, I had to shut all the blinds (we lived in a ranch) and barricade my bedroom door because I was convinced they were out there and coming to get me. I have an active imagination, can you tell?

Not bugs. Not rodents. Not heights, except when falling is probable (eg: tops of ladders, ledges -- any unprotected edges of high things that I happen to need to stand on.)

What scares me?

War. Divorce. Pollution. Rising sea levels. Hatred. Ambivalence.