Menu

What scares you?

The Golden Compass thread made me wonder. Vampires and zombies don't bother me, not real. Now a movie about a serial killer might keep me awake.

But heights... heights can make me stop breathing. I get scared looking over bannisters, or from balconies. If the kids get too close I panic. When I went to see a new house during construction I was able to go up the open, no-backed steps, but almost had to crawl down on my hands and knees because I could see through to the ground. The Grand Canyon will never be on my to do list.

But....I LOVE roller coasters. The higher the better. I guess I feel safe strapped in.

I don't like spiders. I am rational about them, but if one crawls on me or towards me really fast I involuntarily fling it off of me and shriek, or run away faster than normally possible while shrieking. LOL

But what really scares me is fear. Yes, I have phobophobia. The thought of being scared induces anxiety in me, I get shakey, my heart pounds, I feel dizzy and/or have vertigo.

I cannot STAND it if I think someone is hiding and is going to jump out and say boo, the anticipation drives me nuts. I am easily startled too.

Oh yes, heights do bother me too. We went driving on some off road trails up by Lake Elsinore, and I just couldn't stand being on the side that was facing the edge of the "mountain" we were driving up. It was absolutely awful. And I can't stand when someone else is driving and they park at the edge of a cliff or lake or something like that. I am terrified that the ground will give way, or the parking brake won't work and the car will slide down into the water or chasm with us in it. I like parking as far away from an edge as possible.

I think I have control issues, LOL.

roaches.

Those huge, nasty gross waterbugs that will fly right out at you.

I'm a texas gal, but those monster bugs in San Antonio creeped. me. out.

When we moved to Upstate NY, i always told everyone that thos bugs were the ONLY thing i didn't miss about Texas, lol. I can handle snakes, rats, spiders, OTHER bugs, heights, confined spaces, water, ...ANYthing! but those roaches make me scream like a little girl. And my entire time in Syracuse I never saw a roach --even at my friend's filthy house. whew.

My kids always heard me recount the above 2 paragraphs to friends in NY. They were young when we moved to NY, so when we moved back to NY almost 5 years later and oldest ds heard me SCREAM when a roach crawled out, He busted his gut laughing so hard at seeing me actually scream [which I NEVER do] after hearing me say that just tickled his funny bone. one of those "AHA! That's what she meant!" moments I'm sure.

I offer a 50 cent bounty on roaches here -killed inside OR outside. I can't even kill the things --the *crunch* makes my bones chill. Even w/ the spray stuff --I have to stand way back and look away, lol. YUCK!! yuck, Yuck, YUCK!! Thankfully I married a mighty warrior of a dh that can smack those bugs dead w/ his bare hands. I change dirty diapers, he kills cockroaches. My oldest is as freaked out about them as I am. My 10yo and 6yo are proving to be Mighty Warriors too and jump at the chance to kill a roach. I knew the creek nearby would be bad for breeding roaches, but we haven't really seen too many here Thank God. About one a month or so.

::shivers::

I am not the least bit rational about it, either.

A snake slithering across my sidewalk can keep me housebound for hours after the snake has gone to terrorize someone else.

After working hard all spring on my front flowerbed I let the whole thing go to weeds for the rest of the summer after I pulled a clump of grass and found a snake wiggling between my feet.

My heart races and I cannot concentrate when I see a snake.

Since I live in Tennessee, this greatly handicaps my enjoyment of the outdoors.

I dream of living somewhere with a much smaller snake population.

Small spaces scare me. If I was ever stuck in an elevator... Oh. My. I'd probably pass out. Airplanes are fine for the first 2 hours or so, then I start feeling claustrophobic. Xanax gets me through the longer flights.

Diann

My mom is like you! And I am terrified of escalators so if we go somewhere together we either have to use the stairs together or she goes up the escalator and I find an elevator and we meet at the top!

Jenny, I completely agree! The loss of control is terrifying (like skidding on ice, etc...) where controlled circumstances (rollercoasters) or imaginary situations (movies) are not so bad. The thought that anything could happen at any time to my family (especially my little boys) such as an accident or sickness literally takes my breath away at times. Ugh.

Bridges with enough water in which to drown, anyway. I guess maybe it's more the irrational fear of drowning rather than the bridge itself, since little bridges over shallow creeks don't bother me very much.

Incidently, I find truth much scarier than fiction. I'm much more likely to fear something happening to dh than a "boogey man" kind of irrational fear.

~Lisa

I am in the grip of another darn migraine, so currently, my fear is having a stroke. I worry about it every single time. (I don't think it's a rational fear, but I can't help it.)

They're better than they used to be... if I catch it early enough and take Excedrin right away, I can function. (Used to end up in bed for a day or more with the sheets over my head to block out the light and any loud sounds.)

So this is much better than that. I wouldn't dare to drive, though.

Normally, during non-migraine days... hm, yeah other people scare me way more than any kind of made-up thing. I'm always shocked at what people are capable of when I read the news.

I don't like heights much, spiders don't bother me, but roaches DO. Shudder. Probably the fear I have to deal with the most is driving in the mountains or hills. Darn those windy roads!! I have to fight with the tendency to slow WAY down around every corner, because there could be an accident right around the bend that I can't see, just waiting for me to smash into. KWIM? If I have to drive any significant distance in the hills, I end up very tense, with sweaty palms, and exhausted... which will sometimes result in a migraine... bringing me full circle to the beginning of this post.

I come from a long line of anxiety disorder/phobia/OCD family, and I sure wish I could tear those genes right out of myself!

I am scared of pretty much everything that could be a form of transportation. Absolutely TERRIFIED of flying, scared of boats, trains, buses, I don't much like being in automobiles either.

Scared of amusement park rides, horseback riding, hot air balloons, and many, many other things I'm forgetting at the moment.

It is very miserable to have so many phobias, and life-limiting. My mother thinks she is normal to have so many fears, and everyone else is crazy. But I understand that what we have is a form of mental illness.

Michelle T

You know, Michelle, you bring a lot of things to my mind here.

I said I was afraid of snakes, and I am.

Then I mentioned that I am afraid of escalators, and I am.

I cannot fly and so I will probably never get to travel.

I cannot drive on I40 and so to get to Memphis I must map out an alternate route. Or stay home.

I am afraid of meeting new people because I am sure they will hate me.

I am a mess.

I'm bothered by heights and various creepy crawly bugs, snakes and rats. And I am most definately scared watching killer movies. But I think the thing that scares me most is Tornadoes. I have nightmares about being in one. Having a basement is a necessity to me because I need to have a place to go in case of a tornado.

As I was reading everyone else's fears I began to realize I really am fearful of more thna I thought. I know with out a doubt I am terrified of heights. My in laws have an apt on the 32nd floor in Tokyo. I thought I was going to hurl the entire time. The Grand Canyon actually has me passing out every time I go. I hate to cross bridges especially the ones that you can see through the road part. I can not stand small spaces. I am ok in elevators so long as there aren't a bunch of people (3 or 4 are ok if it is big) but whne we went to Tokyo 10 people would cram inot a little one with the silly American going excuse me, excuse I have got to get off of here. Got a lot of exercise there. I never watch scary or really suspenseful type movies. I am afraid of ants. I always have been. As I am reading this I am thinking gee what a wuss!\

Melissa

Truly, deep down phobic, irrational fear? Driving. I've lived here (USA) 20 years and stay home always because I cannot drive.

I do get a bit woozy when up high or towards edges of cliffs, etc. It happened once while visting MIL at her job at a local hospital. There's a walkway between buildings and it's about 8 floors up, glass floor to ceiling both sides. I almost couldn't make it through even though it's totally enclosed. Icky.

I hate crickets. They totally creep me out and my dc know it. They're good about rescuing me. Unfortunately we have tons of crickets in the soil around certain parts of the house perimeter and in our partial-dirt basement. Not good!

In movies, I get grossed out at gore but what truly freaks me out with chills and all is floating or a person 'crawling' across a ceiling. Odd, weird stuff like that is far more heart-stoppingly fearful to me than the special effects type boogey-man.

Now I need some chocolate to chase away the creepy images in my head!

Alligators, roaches (The ones Peek described. We grow 'em big in TX)

And Trains. Man, trains make me nuts. We live near a very active railroad and I always get stuck as the first car near the tracks. They're loud and rumbly and they derail sometimes. My DH will sit there and say things like "OOOh it looks wobbly. I hope it doesn't come off the tracks!" :eek:

I'm also a freak about heights. My DH was on a 20 foot ladder photographing something and I thought I was gonna come outta my skin. I get the willies just standing on a chair. I think it comes from being overweight most of my life. When I weighed 300 lbs, I was always afraid I was gonna break something I was standing on or sitting in. :(

Driving on slippery snow covered roads and/or ice, but especially during sub-zero temperatures. This simply terrifies me and I avoid it at all possible costs. No matter what is going on, or where, I absolutely refuse if my child(ren) are to be passengers. We just cancel and stay at home. It doesn't make me very popular :(

I used to be scared of spiders, but not any more. Don't know what changed. I'm older?

And when it registers that it is my son's shoes, jeans, coat, and gloves all stuffed with newspaper and a balloon for a head, I go from screeming to a fire-breathing revenging dragon.

They were sooo, soooo disappointed. It was meant to be found by their sister--and they had planned to pull the shower curtain open sloooowly with an invisible fishing line attached to it, so they could do it from the hallway.

Now you know something new about my family life. LOL!

Oh--I don't like heights, either.

OMG! I can't STAND to see creepy people crawling across the walls or ceilings, that just freaks me out completely. And I've had issues for years after seeing the Exorcist, the one where the old woman is crawling on the ceiling and then the part where there is suddenly someone standing behind a nurse holding the giant hedge clipper things, about to use them on her neck!!!!!! Ick!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny you should ask, but....horses scare me! I think that they are spectacularly beautiful, and I actually even grew up around them. Still, they frighten me. Of course, it is more awe than terror, but I get all nervous and skittish--unfortunately, two things horses are not so fond of. :)

More than that, though, I detest flying alone. Flying at all is less comfortable now that I have a family than it was when I was single and fancy-free. However, whenever I must fly alone I begin to consider my mortality and how the kiddos would be without me. Silly, I know, but there it is. The funny thing is, I am much calmer when we are all flying together.

House fires.

Car fires.

Being trapped in a house or car that is on fire.

Big, tall statue type things. Seeing the Statue of Liberty made me nearly wet my pants. A Christmas tree lot near us has a gigantic statue of Paul Bunyon that makes me catch my breath. It's just wrong.

Being pinned down for any reason.

Being pinned down and tickled.

Having to hold still while people hurt me (ie: dentist or ob/gyn)

Yikes! What a list.

unsinkable

Worms and Water Eels.

I loathe them. Worms disgust me. shudder. I love spring-time running because of the sun and warmth, but the worms kill my desire. uck. gag. I run along, imagining I'm going to step on one, and I'll feel it squish under my sneakers. That gross worm will be lodged in the treads of my kicks. Hate worms. Maybe I'm not scared of them . . . but I do loathe them. And they stink. gag.

Eels -- swimming in the lake of a g-friends house last summer on a really hot day. Swimming much too close to the wharf *and* wearing goggles. Grossest thing I've ever seen . . . an eel swam right by me. Mr. Eel wasn't at all concerned about me, but I did a most undignified dance in front of an entire birthday party. Squeeled like a school-girl. Not sure if I'll ever be able to get back in a lake again.

There you have it. TMI?

Wow! As I read these intros, I'm thinking, yeah, what ALL of them said, LOL! I'm not truly scared of critters when they're where they belong, but if a snake is in my path (or near my children), or a big spider pops out unexpectedly, etc., then that does bother me. I hear a lot of people become more afraid of heights and have balance issues as they age, and I'm certainly seeing that one! I've never liked scary movies, but then I saw my first before age 5 (Creature from the Black Lagoon) and was terrified, so maybe that lingers on - and I'm wondering if the clown fear of another poster is a similar scary event from childhood that lingers.....

Regena

I am not afraid of spiders, snakes, bugs of any kind really.

But sick people - they scare me.

Horror movies that perpetuate it - scare me.

I can't watch sick movies at all. I get mad if I see a preview for one because then that picture - that thought - is in my head. It makes me physically ill.

I can clean butts, vomit, phlem all day long.

But a sick thought in my head will make me vomit....literally. I puke easily over emotional things. No morning sickness even! Just creepy people.

Wow lots of people scared of the high bridges, me too! I drive over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge when I take the boys to visit my cousin and her family at least twice a year and literally I feel my legs going numb. The Cornado Bay Bridge in San Diego is another one I did drive over but only because I HAD too. And it really freaks me out when people are driving 75mph and switching lanes on the bridge....ugh!

Whew the worst of the migraine is over. :) (And no stroke occurred this time either.) Thank you for your kind comment Lisa!

More fears: LOL... I never really liked driving over bridges, but after the kids were born, the bridges started to freak me out more. At one point, all of my kids were still in car seats... of course snugly strapped in and totally unable to swim anyway...

So to make myself feel better, every time we had to drive over a bridge to go on vacation, I packed the life preservers on top of all the luggage, within easy reach. It was totally (!) impractical, but it did make me feel better!