What's with the ads?

Photo

When do kids learn about Greek Mythology in public school?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Jinnah

Jinnah

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

I am trying to decide when to teach this, and am curious as to when it is taught in ps... does anyone know? Or do you remember what grade you learned it in? I know it is taught in middle/highschool, but what about elementary school?

#2 ktmo

ktmo

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

Where I am mythology is taught in 6th grade. I don't know if it is taught earlier at any point.

#3 dansamy

dansamy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

Mythology is part of literature. 6th or 7th grade, I think.

#4 Jinnah

Jinnah

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

Do you think homeschoolers introduce it earlier? I am trying to decide when to teach it, and I just can't remember when I learned it... seems like it was in elementary school, but who knows.

#5 Old Dominion Heather

Old Dominion Heather

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2446 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

I think in VA, it is first grade on through.

#6 kmacnchs

kmacnchs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1243 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

7th grade...then again, history was not taught classically. We were taught in a self-centered way (younger grades were about family, town, city, then your state in 4th grade, US history in 5th - no rhyme or reason and CERTAINLY not in chronological order).

#7 Jinnah

Jinnah

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

I think in VA, it is first grade on through.

I am from CA, and I'm pretty sure they taught it in elementary school as well. Maybe not 1st, but by 5th.

7th grade...then again, history was not taught classically. We were taught in a self-centered way (younger grades were about family, town, city, then your state in 4th grade, US history in 5th - no rhyme or reason and CERTAINLY not in chronological order).

I think I like the chronological order better.

#8 Crimson Wife

Crimson Wife

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14335 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

6th grade as part of Social Studies, then again in 10th grade as part of English.

#9 Alphabetika

Alphabetika

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2231 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:39 AM

I don't think I learned one bit of Greek mythology until I was reading D'Aulaire's to my oldest. I'm not bragging - I think it's shameful.

#10 Anon

Anon

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:48 AM

I didn't learn anything about it until college. There was no history at all until 8th grade. It wasn't covered in literature either.

#11 Carrie12345

Carrie12345

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7582 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:09 AM

Our evaluator is a 3rd grade teacher. She mentioned mummifying apples for their unit on Egypt.

Ds doesn't remember covering any of it in K-4. We are in a different district.

#12 Sebastian (a lady)

Sebastian (a lady)

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9633 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:00 AM

I am trying to decide when to teach this, and am curious as to when it is taught in ps... does anyone know? Or do you remember what grade you learned it in? I know it is taught in middle/highschool, but what about elementary school?

I know I read a lot in elementary school, but I think that was because I spent a lot of time in the library.

I know that we did a detailed unit in 8th grade, but that instructor really marched to his own drum.

#13 Melissa in Australia

Melissa in Australia

Amateur at everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8402 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:18 AM

I know I had learned about the myths in primary school. I don't know at what age. I also learned a huge amount of ancient history at Church. and when I started year 7 ( high school here in Australia) we did history chronologically, over 2 years. first year, Sumer, Egypt, Greece, Rome, second year, history of England form vikings up to the using of Australia as a penal colony, then year 9 was all about Australian History.

#14 MBM

MBM

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2759 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

In our district in Illinois, it's taught in the freshman year. The Odyssey is required reading then, too.

I read mythology to my third grade library class because the elementary school didn't touch upon it at all.

#15 angela in ohio

angela in ohio

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10230 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:12 AM

We did all America history/ your community type stuff in K-8. We might have had a myth or two in our reading books in those years, but none that I remember. In high school, I took a half credit class in World History in which we learned about the Phoenicians, a bit about the Greeks and Romans, and a bit about Ancient China. :001_smile: They probably mentioned myths. The only real coverage was in 10th grade English, when we read portions of Edith Hamilton's Mythology. That may only have been because it was an Honors English, though.

I wouldn't go by when the public schools teach it, though. They are student focused in the early grades (My community, My neighborhood, My family.) It is far better to expose students to the wonders of history and ancient cultures when they are young.

#16 iquilt

iquilt

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1086 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:22 AM

It's emphasized quite heavily here (VA) as far as I can tell from the state website requirements. We covered it already as part of Ancients and will do it again as the cycle returns to Ancients.

#17 BigMamaBird

BigMamaBird

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2560 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

I learned it in 7th grade. I remember really liking that class because we got to color pictures of each character (super simple) and we watched Clash of the Titians. It was pretty much a blow off class, but it was fun and I still remember many of the stories.

#18 Pippen

Pippen

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3975 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:26 AM

6th grade in history class.

#19 AuntPol

AuntPol

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

They have a couple myths in 6th grade to correlate with SOcial studies being focused on Europe and South America. It's not a lot of studying. I was on the 6th grade Social Studies curriculum committee here. The Ancient Greek section of the textbooks I had to read ranged from a paragraph to 2 pages. Myths were all optional for social studies but the English class was supposed to have a couple of them as literature.

They also have to read a myth in 5th grade and then myths are covered in 9th grade literature, and I believe they are needed for AP Literature.

I don't think public school covers them as in depth as most homeschoolers do lol. Most of my study of myths was outside of school because it was a high interest area for my mother.

#20 Chris in VA

Chris in VA

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20967 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

Dd went to ps for 3rd grade, and they covered Greek civilization, including myths.
I hate how they do history here--I don't think there's one stupid school year where something is taught in sequence with the year before.:tongue_smilie:

#21 SailorMom

SailorMom

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4509 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

In my district in CA, nothing until Freshman year of high school.

#22 Caroline

Caroline

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3878 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

My kids did ancients in 2nd grade in public school, and they did myths from many cultures including Greek myths. They are also part of lit class in 6th and 9th grades. In 9th grade they also do The Odyssey in lit. I assume they will be mentioned again in APWH in 10th grade, too.

#23 Momling

Momling

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

As a kid, in California in the 80's, we studied no world history at all until 7th grade. Before that it was 'social studies' where we had unit studies on things about our communities or states or pioneers or presidents or something. I didn't learn about Greek mythology or study Greece in any depth until I was a freshman in college.

At the local public schools here, I think they get ancient history (including myths) in 6th grade?

#24 Jinnah

Jinnah

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for all the responses... I really appreciate it!

I thought there was a general time period that it was introduced in schools, but it looks like it is very random.

#25 dragons in the flower bed

dragons in the flower bed

Autodidact. Folk artist. Compulsive diarist. Believer in love.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

There is no standard national curriculum, so there's really no for-sure answer to this question.

#26 mom2jjka

mom2jjka

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1079 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

We briefly touched on it in 10th grade world history, but other than that we never even touched it.

#27 Suzanne in ABQ

Suzanne in ABQ

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3178 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

I had it in 4th grade, but that was 30 some-odd years ago.

#28 Brooketopia

Brooketopia

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

I didn't get one scrap of Greek mythology throughout my entire school career...and I have a degree in History!

#29 Carol in Cal.

Carol in Cal.

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9858 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

In CA right now, in 6th grade the kids learn about the ancients, but not a lot of detail about their writings or mythology. Those tend to be covered sometime in high school, but not necessarily--it varies from school district to school district which books are studied in literature classes in high school.

#30 Dawn in OH

Dawn in OH

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2323 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

I don't remember ever learning any mythology in elementary school. Although I'm sure we must have, because when we covered it in high school, 9th grade English class, I already knew most of it.

I began introducing it to my children two years ago (that would be equivalent to First Grade), mainly because the names Hades and Cupid came up in some movies they were watching. We expanded from there.

#31 jennifermarie

jennifermarie

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

We did some in 6th grade, and then again in literature in 9th grade.

I don't remember what we did in K-3 for history, 4th grade was about our state, and 5th was US geography with some basic history thrown in.

What's with the ads?