Menu

Apologia Biology/teacher illness/making up labs....

Apologia Biology: Here's the scoop...

I had let my DS skip a couple of experiments in the first semester of Biology because we had already done them in middle school science. I made a note of this on the "grading sheet" I made up for first semester.

But, then while he was doing Module 14 (2nd semester), I had a change in my migraines (short story: hormonal changes this year must have "clicked on" and now a brain injury from childhood is somehow causing my veins and arteries in the left side of my body to spasm during my migraines, causing it to burn and tingle and feel like I'm having a heart attack) And, it took about a month for me to find a doctor who got to this diagnosis, so DS did not do *any* of the 3 labs for Module 14. (and did not do so well on the Module 14 test, either - go figure ;))

He also only completed only 1 Lab each (out of 2 possible each) for Modules 15 and 16. (and basically he did Modules 14 - 16 on his own, to be honest). But, he's a kid who did the work - he didn't cheat.

So....here's my question: Do I just write a note explaining that "the teacher was sick" and excuse the missing labs, or do I make him do the labs now?

I'm afraid without the labs the colleges won't accept the course as a lab-based science? He did do all the dissections - although, we did demolish the poor crayfish. Thankfully, the other 3 were successful - LOL!

Thanks for your help!

ps - Older DS would have done the 2nd lab for Module 15, but his younger brother ate all the fruit....

Twice....

In younger brother's defense, the man-child has grown an inch a month every month for the last 15 months....

And he wonders why I'll only buy him 3 pairs of shorts at a time?! :lol:

Edited by Rhondabee

Unless you really think that those particular labs will impact his overall understanding of the concepts or will negatively impact his readiness for the next science level, I would award the credit. There is no need to indicate illness or personal info on the transcript. If you honestly think he needs to make up those areas then have him complete them and award the credit. You make the call. When you are making a transcript..less is more. Do not over document.

We, for different reasons, did not have as many labs completed as I would like for biology this year. We're making up about 5-6 labs this summer. I don't see any reason to call out anything different on the transcript; they are completed and that's that. No need to offer more information than the colleges need to know. I plan on listing the labs completed (both during the year and the summer) as part of my course description addendum, which colleges may or may not look at.

HTH!

How many labs did you do total? Some AP Bio courses I think only have 14 labs.

If you did a good overall number of labs and he has mastered the use of a microscope along with an intro to dissection and some work with Pundett (sp?) Squares, I think you should be OK.

He's done 25 Labs altogether. The ones missing (in my post) are:

a leaf collection & identification

mixing red cabbage & ammonia & noting color (pH) - I think we did this in middle school, too

a microscope lab (which would have helped on the test, but he has had lots of microscope work this year)

fruit classification

bird identification (sit outside and identify birds)

I think I'll re-do my grading sheet to include only the labs that we did do, and include the drawings that I had him do. Doesn't sound like I'll be nixing anything earth-shattering.

Thanks, guys!