Menu

Can we start a 10th grade schedule thread? I'm planning for next year...

So far I have:

Algebra II using Foerster's Algebra & Trig.

Conceptual Physics

Latin in the Christian Trivium - hopefully he'll be ready for book 2 by then. He's been slow as molasses so far in book 1. :tongue_smilie:

English will be a Great Books tutorial, plus vocab (VFTHSS) and grammar (A Beka)

Debate class at co-op

I'm unsure what to do about history. :confused: I'm looking at possibly Notgrass. This is a subject we've had a hard time getting done this year and I don't know why. I still need to sit down with this kid and see if we can figure it out.

Algebra II/Trig (Dolciani--used the Book II Structure and Method for the Algebra II portion; switched to Dolciani/Beckenbach Modern Trig for the rest)

History and Literature (Spielvogel and Great Books ala WTM)

Latin III (Oxford III, Latin Mythica)

French II (French in Action)

Biology (Campbell--the college text)

On the side: occasional programming in C; 4-H forestry and wildlife; Envirothon; volunteer work with a bird rehabilitator

We have utilized several Teaching Company courses: Early, High and Late Middle Ages (history), Part III of the Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition (middle ages), and Dante lectures.

• ancient history -- SWB's book or Laura Berquist's syllabus... haven't decided

• ancient literature... I'll probably do it like I'm doing modern lit this year... choose the books I want him to read this summer, then pool analysis helps from different sources.

• writing -- I'm considering Cindy Marsch's antiquity writing tutor thing. If not that, then we'll do either a progymnasmata program or a Write At Home distance learning course. He'll also work through book D of Vocabulary from Classical Roots

• geometry... I think. Jacob's, I think. I was halfway thinking of doing 1 semester of algebra 2 and then doing 2 semesters of geometry, and then doing 1 semester of trig. If I do this I'll use Foerster for alg. 2. If he does geometry next year we'll look at some real live Euclid and see how far we can go.

• formal logic, haven't decided. I bought a used Martin Cothran Traditional Logic, despite the warnings on this board :blush: so I could compare it to the Copi/Cohen book I already have. That's work I'll have to do before our big state homeschooling convention when I can go see other logic texts. I will teach it, and I might invite some other students for a once-a-week logic class.

• science: my son is ahead in science and math is holding him up, so we might take next year either to do computer programming or a sports physiology course via distance learning. He's already had high school biology and chemistry, both with labs.
  • bible history -- Didache Series/Scott Hahn

He won't be doing a foreign language next year. I hope that won't be a mistake I'll regret. He's done two years of Latin and I think he's going to choose Spanish at the community college his junior and senior years. I'd love to teach him Greek since I studied that in college but I'm not sure that's the best thing.

My 10th grader will be doing the following:

Saxon Alg 2

BJU Chemistry

BJU Writing & Grammar 10

IEW SWI C

Vocab for the High School Student

Notgrass Exploring World History & Literature

Henle latin III

SOS Spanish II

Extra curricular: CAP and basketball

We did Conceptual Physics in 9th, using a high school edition of the text. I purchased a bundle that also included a teacher's book (which has answers for all of the problems--some extra explanation on more challenging ones), the lab manual (which has a number of experiments that can be performed or adapted for home use) and a notebook of reproducible tests. Conceptual Physics is indeed very user friendly. Algebra is the only prerequisite.

Jane

Here's our tentative schedule for 10th grade in the fall:

Jacob's Geometry ( and we'll probably still be finishing up Algebra I)

Sonlight 300 - 20th Century ( history & literature)

Home2teach - writing

Grammar - haven't decided yet

Vocabulary for the College Bound Student

Biology - online through Potter's School

Latin II - Cambridge Latin 2 and continuing with Henle

German - online through Oklahoma State University

My husband wants them to add another language and we may do Italian with Rosetta Stone

I think that's it.

melissa

-Saxon Calculus

-Abeka Grammar and Composition IV

-Chemistry- Apologia or Abeka

-2nd half of Wheelock's Latin

-Omnibus III

-Piano

-Memoria Press' Rhetoric w/ Aristotle

-Parts of BJU Geography- We will do it over 3 years to correspond with where we studied in Omnibus.

-Western Civilizations- 3 years w/ Omnibus

-The Annotated Mona Lisa/ various art books-3 years w/ Omnibus

Here is the one we used last year:

Running

Foerster Precalculus

Apologia Chemisty ( I will switch from this next time)

IEW Student Continuation Course C and Adv. Communication Series

Analytical Grammar

Middle Ages Teaching Company History Video

Omnibus II Reading

Omnibus II Summa

Spielvogel Western Civilization

Henle Latin II

Wordly Wise 3000

McDonnell Economics/Focus on Health ( one semester each)

HTH!

ds 10th grade 2008-2009

Language Arts 2 at tutorial

This will include composition, poetry review, grammar, AMSCO Vocabulary for the College Bound, and A.C.T. Preparation. They will also be required to read, but the literature just needs to have an AR test available and is at the parent's discretion. We will be using literature selections from the WinterPromise Sea and Sky OLG.

Modern History with Current Events

Power Basics World History 3 (1st sem); WinterPromise Sea and Sky- the Sky (2nd sem research project on history of aviation); Current Events at tutorial

Oceanography- 1/2 credit

WinterPromise Sea and Sky and the oceanography chapters from Apologia Marine Biology

Astronomy- 1/2 credit

WinterPromise Sea and Sky and TC Astronomy

Conceptual Physics

Math

I haven't decided yet- maybe LoF Trig and Kumon.

Spanish 1 at tutorial

They will be using A Beka Spanish.

Economics- 1/2 credit

Walch's Understanding Our Economy and TC Economics

Art Classes

I may be listing this one as an extracurricular activity.

However, I reserve the right to change any and all of this at any time between now and Aug.

Mandy

out of the home:

Latin 3

AP US History

Swing Dance

Essay writing class

Chaucer

Debate

Yearbook

(some of the above were for part of the year)

at home:

Intermediate Algebra with Lial's book

Chemistry (Ebbing with MicroChem Kit)

Regards,

Kareni

Here's my plan for my rising 10th grader:

Finish Geometry/Begin Alg. 2 (Lial's Intermediate Alg)

Chemistry (Singapore O Level)

Great Books/Worldviews (I'm putting this together myself - will be a mish-mash of WVWW, TTC, and others)

Sonlight 300 History? (this is up in the air still)

Rosetta Stone Spanish (continue from this year)

Ethics - 1 semester

Vocabulary (continue with Wordly Wise or begin Vocab. for the College Bound)

Lots of writing will be incorporated into the Great Books, History, and Ethics courses

Oklahoma History (this will be taken this summer in a co-op)

Continue private music lessons and Boy Scouts

Great books/history a la TWTW/TWEM (modified to fit us)

Ham radio/human anatomy

Writing (various sources)

Sight singing (10 minutes here and there)

Piano

Drawing (Artistic Pursuits and a few other things)

NEM2

Native American Studies

Latin (Ecce Romani finished 1 and began 2)

Gymnastics team

Scouts

-Nan

plan for my rising 10th grader

world history up to 1900:

start Prentice Hall Connections to Today world history textbook (we plan to go up to the start of the 20th century in 10th grade with this text and then switch to SL Core 300 for 11th)

math:

Foerster Algebra II and/or Kinetic Books Algebra II (it may not be ready in time, they're trying to have it ready for fall 2008)

science:

Holt Chemistry (not sure if we'll try this on our own or through Keystone)

or maybe Spectrum Chemistry from beginningspublishing, but I'm not sure if the Christian content will be too heavy (I'd prefer completely secular)

english:

IEW writing methodology (may try the new Classical Rhetoric through Structure and Style)

Glencoe Literature course 5 (for 10th grade)

novels relating to what we're studying in history

p.e.:

kickboxing classes along with weekly strength training and treadmill cardio at local gym

Japanese:

we're definitely trying Keystone for this one

elective:

an elective of my dd's choice from either Keystone or Oak Meadows - she's considering some type of multimedia course

We're planning to use it at home. I got the college-level text (9th ed) because I wanted something that covers the concepts of physics without spending too much time solving math problems. Last Tuesday I bought the Foerster Alg and Trig text, then went to another store the same day to look at physics books. I compared Conceptual Physics to Giancolli Physics (which I had seen recommended here) and I was struck by the fact that at a cursory glance through the pages, the Giancolli text looked eerily similar to the math text I had just purchased! I don't want ds to spend hours a day solving similar types of problems, and given our time contraints I'd prefer he get an overview of the ideas of physics without getting bogged down in lots of problem solving. Just my personal preference though. Some people will disagree and say a "real" physics course will major on the problem solving

Conceptual physics isn't what you want to use in high school if you have a kid who might be doing science/math at the university level. We used it in grade 8, very successfully. We'll do high school physics w/ more math.

I agree as Conceptual Physics uses basic mathematics & a bit of algebra, but all problems can be solved using arithmatic. We used the text as a middle school physics course. I'd recommend an astronomy course or calling the course Physical Science & add a 6 week unit at the end on basic chemistry as an intro to an 11th grade chemistry course.

Dd will be doing the following:

Math - Precalculus (Larson - using Dana Mosely tapes bought directly from publisher).

AP Economics - through PAH

History - Advanced World History at home using World Civilizaitons: The Global Experience, AP Edition; local professor in world history will tutor (with goal of taking AP exam next year).

Accelerated Latin I-II - through SO

Science - Chemistry using Chemistry & Chemical Reactivity by Kotz, et al. as spine with Thinkwell, TTC videos, and The Joy of Chemistry for experiments.

English - English Lit. through SO; Vocabulary from Classical Roots, E, then Vocabulary for the High School Student (she finished R&S 8 this year, so we're taking a year off of grammar before starting AG for review).

HTH.

This is my plan for next year...

English: Vocabulary for Achievement, 2nd half of Rod & Staff 8, American Literature w/PP study guides (books from Notgrass American History). Writing will be some combination of Put That in Writing Two, The Elegant Essay and Home2Teach.

Math: Geometry with Videotext

American History - Notgrass w/ Teaching Company videos added in (Thanks, Sharon!)

Science: a problem - he's done Apologia through Chemistry, but won't have Trig till late this year or next year, so we don't want to move on with Physics. He's trying to decided between Apologia's Human Anatomy and The Potter's School Electronics.

Computer Science: Intro to Visual Basic w/ Potter's School

Spanish: Continue w/ Rosetta Stone, supplemented w/Amsco Espanol Esencial workbooks

Also, .5 credit for karate and maybe .5 credit for driver's ed?

As I look at this, I seem to have drifted far from the days of Latin, Logic, Plato, etc. but this is where we've ended up....

As of today (subject to change)

Math - Jacobs Geometry and LOF Geometry

English -

Vocabulary-

Vocabulary from the classical roots books C/D, Vocabulary Cartoons for the SAT I/II

Grammar - Rod and Staff Grade 7

Composition - Write at Home - comp II and Research paper

Literature - Lightning Literature Mieval lit and Shakespeare Tragedy

History -

Middle Ages(biblioplan)

Spegielveil Western Civ.

Teaching Company Middle ages Series (early, middle and Late)

Spanish I - Breaking The Spanish Barrier and Rosetta Stone

Bible - Finish Survey of the bible with New testament Lectures from Teching Company - We have watched the old test ones this semester.

Chemistry - Spectrum Chemistry with Singapore Chemistry Matters and possibly the Merlin Science Course.

P.E. - Swim Team 3x weekly

Art Appreciation- Annotated Mona Lisa

Extra -

Scouts - will be working on Eagle project

Volunteer at the animal Shelter once a week.

4-H Shooting

Warhammer Game Club meetings

Bible - How to Study the Bible for Yourself (fall), What's in the Bible for Teens (spring), and The 100 Most Important Events in Christian History (daily snippets)

World Literature - Abeka 10th with Silas Marner, Julius Caesar, and at least 2 other novels

Grammar - still working on this, just finished R&S 9th and really just need something to keep up the skills, I did find Great Explorations in Editing that I plan on using with all 3 dd's.

Writing - Writing Strands 7 and IEW

Geometry - MUS with honors book

World History II - Streams of Civilization 2 with extra readings

Science - Abeka Physical Science ( did Apologia Biology this year, but scrapped the idea of Advanced Biology and not ready for Chemistry yet)

PE - Homeschool Family Fitness

Music History - The Gift of Music and Classical Music Start Up Kits 1&2

French - Rosetta Stone

Chemistry 1B at CC

Calculus A at CC

Great Books Roman Year online

Latin 3 (online, still up-in-the-air)

History-we are still discussing this. There are too many options!

IEW progymnasmata in semester 1 and new writing course semester 2

Drawing lessons

cello

violin

2 orchestras

Tae Kwon Do and teaching tae kwon do

Restoring an old VW bug

Church choir

Drama class