Menu

Frustrated!! Lial's "Developmental" or not, editions

Aargh! Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between Lial's "Developmental" series and the one that doesn't say that?? I've been looking at this stuff too long -- I close my eyes and I see my monitor with book listings! :banghead:

I am looking for both intermediate algebra and precalculus. Does it really matter what edition, etc., as long as the text and student answer book match? What about DVTs?? I don't know if we'll need them, but would certainly like the option.

Is any type/edition of intermediate algebra or any precalculus at the same academic level, or is a certain meant to be more college prep or more remedial?

The main difference is layout. I prefer the 'developmental' series for BCM through Algebra 2. These are typically paperback texts. The margins have practice problems that are worked as the student reads through the examples in the lesson. The font is also a bit larger in these.

The 'other' series does not offer the margin problems--instead there is a reference to one of the problems in the homework section ( after reading example 3 try problem #21 from the homework section ). These are typically hard bound texts.

The teaching/examples are virtually the same... so layout is the big difference.

Pre-Calc is where you have a TON of options--this is because community colleges and universities have different names for the SAME course--also some students only need the 'College Algebra' part of Pre-Calc for their desired major--so you will find College Algebra and Trig as 2 separate texts or together as a Pre-Calc class.

For all texts--ALL of the answers you will need are located in the back of the text. (this includes odd homework problems (what are normally assigned), all chapter summary, chapter review and test answers as well as all cumulative review answers). Student solutions manuals show problems worked out step by step and is optional at the Intermediate Algebra level--but suggested at the Pre-calc level.

Here are the isbns for the texts at the level you are looking for that I would recommend.

Intermediate Algebra 8th edition (developmental):

student text: 0321279204

student solutions manual 0321285697

Pre-Calc 3rd edition

student text 032122762X

student solutions manual 0321227700

graphing calculator manual 0321227719

Ahh... thank you, Jann! But as for the Precalculus, I was planning to do one of the other Lial precalcs that has the graphing/limits/functions in the title/subtitle. Are those different from the one that just says "Precalculus"? The title on the others just seemed like they would be more challenging.

What do you think?

This text is the more 'user friendly' of the Lial Pre-Calc options.

The degree of difficulty is the same.

There is a Pre-Calc option that is more 'graphing calculator' intensive (not my favorite) as I still see Pre-Calc as foundational...

The edition with Limits has an optional chapter at the end that is basically the first chapter in a Calc 1 text.

This Pre-Calc is very good/rigorous and is a college level text.

They make so many different options because different universities have different goals in their higher math/science departments.

The Pre-Calc text I mentioned DOES use/teach the graphing calculator--but its emphasis is on the WHY and HOW--not the shortcuts.

This is the text I'm currently using with my daughter who wants to go into some math/science intensive field (possibly Pre-Med)..